Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 25th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Luna

Default New IHOP in Hilo

A new IHOP just opened in Hilo in our Prince Kuhio Plaza Mall. My children were very curious to try this new pancake house out so we all headed there.

I am not the kind of person to shop for deals or is affraid of spending, but what is the deal with IHOP'S prices! I could not believe it just for pancakes!

For my wife and I, and my three small children the bill came out to over a $100! Average plate was like $15.00 to $18.00 and just for breakfast food ! I know I spent less at way more luxurous places like the Kahala Manderin or even Sam Choys.

I do not think this place will survive here in Hilo with our old stand by being Ken's House of pancakes which has a bigger and more diverse menu and also more humane prices.

Whew!
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: New IHOP in Hilo

Oh my, I heard the same complaint from someone else. So I guess what I heard is true. Me and my girlfriend were going to go and eat there two Sundays ago.
We decided against when we saw it packed to the gunnel's. But with those prices I figure the newness will wear off quick.
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Ali`i

Oh my. $100?! That's absurd. I read somewhere that Denny's in Kihei, Maui is similar to that in pricing.

There's an IHOP that recently opened in Waikiki on Kuhio Ave. I'll run in there this weekend and check their prices for you.

You're right, that one in Hilo won't last long price gouging like that.
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Luna

The food at the new IHOP was average and your typical pancake house fare.

The prices were sure within semi fine dining area.

There was anohter really good breakfast restaurant that recently just closed down here. Firehouse Restaurant and I sure missed that place! They made good blood sausage.

I had a really awesome breakfast in Waikiki at a place called the Aqua Cafe. Is that place still in business?
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Ali`i

We've got a brand new IHOP here (O`ahu) at the Windward Mall that just opened a few months ago. Same parent company as your new one in Hilo, as I recall.
I had a spinach-and-mushroom omelette and a cup of coffee, and the bill was $13 or $14 or thereabouts. Part of the high prices at that IHOP may be because of the huge rents at Windward Mall, but still... back to The Koa House for me. Just like with Ken's, better food and much better prices.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
We've got a brand new IHOP here (O`ahu) at the Windward Mall that just opened a few months ago. Same parent company as your new one in Hilo, as I recall.
I had a spinach-and-mushroom omelette and a cup of coffee, and the bill was $13 or $14 or thereabouts. Part of the high prices at that IHOP may be because of the huge rents at Windward Mall, but still... back to The Koa House for me. Just like with Ken's, better food and much better prices.

Still kinda of high for just eggs....
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Ali`i

Geez. I'll pass the word on to my parents. They wanted to try the IHOP in Windward Mall too.

Windward City Shopping Center (?) Got a take out place round back called JR's...RJ's...something like that. Steak, eggs and rice for 5 bucks.

A year after our last Disney trip and I still can't bring myself to go to a Denny's. When my wife mentions it, I can feel that twinge in the gut. Yeah, that deep down burning sensation and you just know that things are going to start going inside out in a few seconds.
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Kumu

IHOP has been on Maui for awhile, first in Kihei (Azeka Market) closed down and then in the Maui Mall, taking over the old Farrell`s Ice-Cream Parlor location. And your right about the prices they charge for breakfast. But here in Kahului there is limited places that serve breakfast. With Denny`s, IHOP, Marco`s close to the Airport areas. Koho`s, Ruby`s and Sheiks at the Queen Kaahumanu areas, there ain`t much places in these areas beside McD`s, BK or Jacks.
When IHOP first opened in the Maui Mall most of there breakfast included pancakes, now its a-la-carte. But yeah you pay big bucks at IHOP. Mo betta go to the hotels and have brunch. What I miss is Sizzlers and there brunch
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Luna

Denny's in Kona, really unsanitary place when I last went there. Service was also very poor.

Can't beat the wait staff at Ken's in Hilo. They got spirit and personality despite always being over worked and in a rush. I love it when they gong that bell and yell Sumo! When someone orders a sumo min or sumo moco!

If your ever in Hilo and go to Ken's try their Smoked Chicken. I never had anything like it anywhere! ONO!
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggboy View Post
IHOP has been on Maui for awhile, first in Kihei (Azeka Market) closed down and then in the Maui Mall, taking over the old Farrell`s Ice-Cream Parlor location. And your right about the prices they charge for breakfast. But here in Kahului there is limited places that serve breakfast. With Denny`s, IHOP, Marco`s close to the Airport areas. Koho`s, Ruby`s and Sheiks at the Queen Kaahumanu areas, there ain`t much places in these areas beside McD`s, BK or Jacks.
When IHOP first opened in the Maui Mall most of there breakfast included pancakes, now its a-la-carte. But yeah you pay big bucks at IHOP. Mo betta go to the hotels and have brunch. What I miss is Sizzlers and there brunch
Hey Oggboy
I was just in Maui this past weekend, we put on the Kikaida show at the Matsuri! We went to a restaurant in Kaahumanu Mall the one right in front with an airplane hanging from the ceiling. I think it was Ruby Tuesday? I may be wrong? But it was pretty good breakfast and not over priced.

You guys are lucky in Maui, Even got a Sharper Image and Krispy Kream! Here in Hilo we got stores that shut down and go out of business in our malls.

The maui manju and cream puff were awesome coming off of my diet! My daughter spent a small fortune on Maui Wowie chocolate bars. Pretty cool choclate with lots of different ones including Kava! But in my opinion cannot beat our Big Island Candies Chocolates! Now our chocolates are some of the best around!
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Kumu

Nice to hear you had breakfast at my restaurant. It`s called Ruby`s Diner, a Mainland based chain thats been here for over 5 years. Glad you like the cream puffs and the manju. Oh by the way I`ll be sure to check out Ken`s when I go Big Island cause no can beat the local kine family dining. Oh yeah I also like the Big Island cookies some ono. By the way Hawaiian Host Candies started on Maui F.Y.I
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggboy View Post
Nice to hear you had breakfast at my restaurant. It`s called Ruby`s Diner, a Mainland based chain thats been here for over 5 years. Glad you like the cream puffs and the manju. Oh by the way I`ll be sure to check out Ken`s when I go Big Island cause no can beat the local kine family dining. Oh yeah I also like the Big Island cookies some ono. By the way Hawaiian Host Candies started on Maui F.Y.I
Oggboy

This world is too small! You must know my high school friend too! He was with me that last Saturday and is originally from Hilo but now owns a Pizza Restaurant in Lahaina.

I havent seen him in 23 years and he knew everyone in Ruby's and even the Matsuri organizers. Was that you who he waved to in the kitchen? If so, that was me sitting with braddah Vivas.

Your guys restaurant had really nice waitresses and hostess , and as I said,food was good too! I left a good tip as the service was A +!

Layne
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Kumu

IHOP is so over rated...

went to the Windward location last weekend..

i think Old Pancake house is way better!
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Ali`i

Wow,

I LOVE IHOP since I'm a little kid (Pigs in Blankets!!!) but $100 for 5 people is UNACCEPTABLE....

Unfortunately, as gas prices increase, so does everything else...and the restaurants use it as an excuse to price gouge.

It seems that everything is just going through the roof, price-wise.

But $20 per person at IHOP is just plain wrong....frikken pancakes are CHEAP to make, and it's not like they're using 100% maple syrup.

Unreal...
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Ali`i

You can get breakfast buffet at Princess Kailani Sheraton hotel for $19.95 per person. That, or IHoP? Hmmm ... let me get back to you
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Luna

I could not believe it, Just passed the Ihop at our mall and it is still packed! They even fill those tables they have outside the restaurant in the mall gated off area.

I did noticed a few people leave after reading their menu though...

There is one positive from their restaurant, The Blueberry creape dessert is ono! Warm blueberries with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! I will go back for this one!
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
You can get breakfast buffet at Princess Kailani Sheraton hotel for $19.95 per person. That, or IHoP? Hmmm ... let me get back to you
The breakfast Buffet at Volcano House is pretty amazing too, and if I remember correctly, less than $20 pp...Sit by the window for a breathtaking view of the Crater too....but it IS in Volcano Nt'l park...
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
The breakfast Buffet at Volcano House is pretty amazing too, and if I remember correctly, less than $20 pp...Sit by the window for a breathtaking view of the Crater too....but it IS in Volcano Nt'l park...
Hey Tikiyaki

I have been there many times and I love it! Down the road at KMC is also another good place to eat and they have a buffet too!
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilo Artist View Post
Hey Tikiyaki

I have been there many times and I love it! Down the road at KMC is also another good place to eat and they have a buffet too!
I especially love the eternal flame fireplace there, that has been burning continuously for 125 years...NONSTOP.

How much is the buffet, you remember ?

I seem to recall $18 being the number, but I forget right now.

I love the whole Volcano area. It really is like an enchanted forest up there , full if mystery
Old May 26th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
I especially love the eternal flame fireplace there, that has been burning continuously for 125 years...NONSTOP.

How much is the buffet, you remember ?

I seem to recall $18 being the number, but I forget right now.

I love the whole Volcano area. It really is like an enchanted forest up there , full if mystery
The buffet at KMC is cheap only around $12 or $13 dollars. They have different themes for their menu each night, I remember one as being Pacific Rim and an American menu.

On friday nights my oldest daughter dances hula there with her Halau and I cannot stop looking at the food in the buffet! The bar right next door is also really nice and there are live bands that play there.
Old May 26th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
Or you can have breakfast right on Waikiki beach over at Duke's for their all you can eat buffet breakfast...

Duke's Waikiki Breakfast
$14.95 includes:
Made-To-Order Omelettes • Eggs Benedict • Pancakes and Waffles
Bacon • Sausages • Fresh Seasonal Fruits • Tropical Fruit Juices
Coffee and more!

Or $11.95 all you-can-eat breakfast buffet also on Waikiki beach over at the Shore Bird.

That, or IHOP?... hmmmm... let me get back to you.

I haven't been to Eggs 'N Things for a while... it's time I go pay them a visit again.
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilo Artist View Post
For my wife and I, and my three small children the bill came out to over a $100! Average plate was like $15.00 to $18.00 and just for breakfast food!
I just stopped by the IHOP in Waikiki on Kuhio Avenue about a half hour ago to look over their breakfast menu.

A basic stack of pancakes was $6.99. French Toast was $7.99. All par for the coarse in Waikiki.

The breakfast combo, which included pancakes, 2 eggs (any style), meat of your choice and some other side stuff (like fruit or toast) was $9.99. It averaged about $12 for various other combos I can't remember; the highest price being $15 if you added steak.

The IHOP in Waikiki is located on a street level location of a Kuhio street Hotel, which the rent must certainly be higher than the location in Hilo, so something's WAY OFF with the Hilo location's price (gouging) structure.
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
The IHOP in Waikiki is located on a street level location of a Kuhio street Hotel, which the rent must certainly be higher than the location in Hilo, so something's WAY OFF with the Hilo location's price (gouging) structure.
I suspect the higher prices is due the higher overhead for the Hilo IHOP. As far as I recall, Prince Kuhio Plaza tenants have to pay a monthly lease fee
PLUS they have to pay a percentage of their daily revenue to General Growth (The owner of Prince Kuhio Plaza). It is pretty remarkable that the
mall is as full as it is considering this onerous lease arrangement.
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
I just stopped by the IHOP in Waikiki on Kuhio Avenue about a half hour ago to look over their breakfast menu.

A basic stack of pancakes was $6.99. French Toast was $7.99. All par for the coarse in Waikiki.

The breakfast combo, which included pancakes, 2 eggs (any style), meat of your choice and some other side stuff (like fruit or toast) was $9.99. It averaged about $12 for various other combos I can't remember; the highest price being $15 if you added steak.

Pomai

Looks like Waikiki may be cheaper. The Staek plates here was upwards of $18 to $20 +
Old May 27th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Ali`i

Wow. Hilo has changed since I lived there.

It used to be that only the pakalolo growers would spend $$$ like that, after thier harvests had been sold. You'd see them in their brand new fancy cars for a while, living it up....and then, a few months later, they'd be back to hitchhiking to the fern forest or in a junker. A few months later, the cycle would begin again.