Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gardening in Hawaii - tips?

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
    Actually the bad luck with the pineapples is really just my lack of patience. We've had the same pineapple that we planted about 8 months ago and it still never has born fruit. Are they supposed to take that long?? The Hawaiian chili peppers are hot peppers that I unfortunately have not had a chance to taste yet. Some buggah eats em before I ever get a chance.
    Oh, yeah... I thought it took at least two years to get the fruits.... But I do believe some of my plants may be older than that! I have lots of patience. but No fruits... I bought another one, at Home Depot, with a baby fruit on it, til my mom (with Alzheimer's) picked it before it was ready.... Drat!

Hot peppers, no way. Can't eat anything hotter than Jalapenos.

Susie, I know who Ruth Stout is, and stupidly eBayed her book! Dummy me, what was I thinking? Now I'll have to go get it again. She is revered!

Comment

Here's something nifty - my backyard has 5 random tomato plants growing stronger than the ones I planted on purpose. I'm guessing that the birds are eating some tomatoes, and, um, dropping seeds in the yard.

Anybody have any luck growing lettuce? I can get 3 types going for about a month, but they always go to seed, and then you can't eat them anymore.

Also, my bell peppers only grow to the size of a ping pong ball. What's up with those?

Hey, Snowbird, didn't you mention you had tips for growing papayas?
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

That's how it always seems to go with tomato plants, the more you try to help them the more they crap out. Ignore them and you'll have more tomatos than you can handle.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
          Actually the bad luck with the pineapples is really just my lack of patience. We've had the same pineapple that we planted about 8 months ago and it still never has born fruit.
          From my days at Dole, I recall that pineapples usually take up to two years to bear fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
            Anybody have any luck growing lettuce? I can get 3 types going for about a month, but they always go to seed, and then you can't eat them anymore.

Also, my bell peppers only grow to the size of a ping pong ball. What's up with those?

Hey, Snowbird, didn't you mention you had tips for growing papayas?
            Turtlegirl, I can give you lots of advice on what not to do. First, I always seem to plant the lettuce too late in the season, (lazy) and it "bolts" too fast. Needs the coolest weather possible. No hot hot sun.

Last season I let my man put in the plants from Home Depot. He did a good quick job, all looked pretty, but everything was growing like miniature Bonsai. I dug em out after the end of season, and those pretty peppers had been rootbound... he never shook off the perlite potting mix squares that they grew into inside their pots, and feathered out the roots, so the plants could grow strong and big. They had been starving for nutrients. Same thing happened to the eggplant and tomatoes. Tiny little Bonsai fruit... so cute. So sad. Not going to be so lazy, come this next summer.

On papayas... mine are in pots. No fruit yet, but the key is to not overwater these, even though I really want to... touchy buggahs, and too dry, too wet makes them not flower or fruit. Be sure you have the male female ratio needed to set the pollination in motion. My Hawaiian plants came three in a container, except the Babaco type. That one self-pollinates. Wish me luck. the guy down the block has tons of papaya! I'm so jealous, need to make friends, eh?

Good luck with the lettuce and all. I finally have success with the winter veg, so far, so good. If you get bugs, I'll tell you my secret organic trick. I'm terrified of tomato worms, eww! SB

Comment

For snails, I strongly suggest using the beer trick instead of snail bait, especially if you have pets. Snail bait is also very effective at killing dogs

carolyn

Comment

Male / female papaya...??? is there a way to tell before they get too big and or before the flower... whether it is male or female. I let a really healthy one grow and grow and it looks great but it turns out to be male.
                Would love to know.

Comment

Anyone got anything good for keeping out rabbits other than a fence? We spent 14 hours last Sunday tilling up our front flower bed and now have Petunias, a rosebush, and a hydrangea plant- along with the now nicely trimmed back shrubbery that was already there. But I'm afraid those rabbits will eat all of my petunias. Any special tricks?

Also, I know that acidic soil will turn a pink hydrangea blue. Does anyone know how I can raise the pH of the soil to keep my plant pink?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Took this of my wife at her garden (Ala Wai C-6) this morning!

Flickr set will add more later...
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

copper sulphate around your tomatos will deter snails. I've tried using pennies with great results. Set up a ring of pennies around the perimeter of the base of your tomato plant. Snails touch the copper and develop an electrical charge and back off. The copper and the snail's mucus form a sort of battery effect just like copper sulphate.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

EW! I have these wierd looking cocoons (?) all around my yard! They look like very small beige pinecones. What is it!?!

Comment

EW! I have these wierd looking cocoons (?) all around my yard! They look like very small beige pinecones. What is it!?!
                          moths. They kinda flap around while hanging onto things like window sills, rafters, whatever yeah?

I smash them before they hatch.

Comment

Eeeewwwwwwwwwww!!! I gave them a dose of raid. Gross!! Moths? Is there any benefit to having 50 moths hatch in my backyard?

Comment

Eeeewwwwwwwwwww!!! I gave them a dose of raid. Gross!! Moths? Is there any benefit to having 50 moths hatch in my backyard?
                              Nope. Kill em all. I use a small propane torch and toast the bastards.

Comment

Working...
                              X