New Autos, break in periods, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Autos, break in periods, etc.

Preventive Maintenance not only prevents catastrophic failure down the road but also provides a paper trail of service that can be used for legal matters as well.

Working for the Gas Company whether it needed it or not our 3" Master Meter Transfer Prover that is used to calibrate the bigger propane tankers you see rolling around Oahu went in for annual recertification which included all maintenance procedures.

Not only did we do it for accuracy but also in the event this device failed to perform as required or if the prover had a mechanical failure while transferring LPG at a rate of over 200 GPM in the public sector.

This prover was used only three times in a year but because of the nature of what it was made to do, there was no room for error or failure. It had to be maintained.

As for a car, yes it's not as critical as a 10,000 gallon tanker or the calibration gear that monitors it's performance, however if you are driving your car and your tranny causes you to lose control of your vehicle and you get into an accident that results in a fatality to another motorist or your passenger, failure to maintain your automobile can be used against you in a court of law to determine criminal negligence.

Proper maintenance records can redirect blame to the shop that serviced and signed off on any work done to your car to prove the accident was caused by mechanical failure brought on by shoddy maintenance work by that garage that finished and verified the work done that caused the accident.

Better to be safe than sorry.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
      Their Quest only lasted to 78K miles (five years) before they traded, for LESS that what I got for mine. Come to think of it, they always seem to trade whenever there's a problem with the car.

Of course, there's always the consideration that what I paid for maintenance exceeded my increased trade value ..........
      I guess that is the difference between car owners. There are some who look at them as commodities to be, literally speaking, driven into the ground after a number of years and to be replaced by another new car. And then, you have the folks that buy a car with the idea of taking good care of it and hanging onto it for the long haul.

I guess I inherited the idea of meticulously caring for my cars from my grandfather and father. I remember my Ojisan being able to fix almost anything, from lawn mowers to garbage disposals. He had a number of cars, but the one he loved the most was a 1944 Willys Jeep. He kept that vehicle going strong for over 40 years. And then, he finally sold it. It wasn't because the Jeep was giving him problems. He sold it because it was getting harder to order replacement parts. (This was in the 1980s, when Chrysler bought out Jeep and the new company owners apparently had no interest in providing service and parts for the old Jeeps.)

But I guest folks like Ojisan are getting rare while people who look at cars as a commodity to be used and disposed of when "used up" are now the norm. While this situation makes the automakers happy (more cars for them to sell), those "used up" cars are littering up the land.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        But I guest folks like Ojisan are getting rare while people who look at cars as a commodity to be used and disposed of when "used up" are now the norm. While this situation makes the automakers happy (more cars for them to sell), those "used up" cars are littering up the land.
        i have to admit i was more of the user/disposer type with my first car--mostly out of ignorance. with my second, i (with eric's help--it's wonderful to have an in-house gearhead!) intend to be more like your ojisan.

some folks are apparently unaware that besides the sticker price on the car at the dealership, there is the cost of ownership, which is more important (in my opinion).

Notice that the Honda Civic, priced at $21,588, is the most expensive car among those compared above. However, it turns out to be the cheapest of the lot when you compare the true cost of ownership ($32,236) over 5 years. As an example, compare the Civic with the Chevrolet Cobalt which has an initial price of $19,439 and the true cost of ownership of $37,182. In this case, you could potentially save $4946 over 5 years by choosing the Civic over the Cobalt, although Cobalt’s price tag is about $2149 cheaper than the Civic’s price tag. That’s equivalent to a difference of about $82 per month for 60 months. Also, the savings will probably keep accumulating beyond 5 years considering the fact that the Cobalt will continue to depreciate at a faster rate than the Civic. Apparently, cars that appear to be cheaper at first glance may sometimes turn out to be more expensive in the long run.
        source.

edmunds.com and intellichoice.com have info on cost of ownership for many makes/models.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Preventive Maintenance not only prevents catastrophic failure down the road but also provides a paper trail of service that can be used for legal matters as well."

Craig, the maintenance records can also get you more than eight grand on a ten year old Camry. been there...done that.....
          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Yep when I bought my BMW, the owner gave me a big folder of maintenance records dating back to day 1. He told me, "Take care of my baby" and he handed me the keys.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Aww, to me that is sweet. I knew a guy that felt that way about his Audi. It was beautiful every day that he owned it.

That place online, carfax fascinates me. It didn't have my routine maintenance on my car but my daughter bought an '05 oh dangit, small Chevy? and it had the routine maintenance for it, and I am wondering why they failed on mine, and yet had the stuff for her car and it verified that the dude she bought it from was telling the truth.
              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Working...
              X