Loco Moco!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loco Moco!

Just ate my first loco moco last night--L & L at the airport. Was soo good!! I got a mini, and it was just enough. Gravy was good, even liked the macaroni salad with it! I think I found a new comfort food. YUM!
    Where is your favorite loco moco? (so I know where to go next....)

Re: Loco Moco!!

I absolutely love Like Like Drive Inn's loco moco. Probably has a lot to do with their hamburger steak, which IMHSO (in my hungry stomach's opinion) is the best around.

Also, if you are in Hilo, you must stop in at Cafe 100. They claim to be the originators of loco moco. Are they? Who cares! All that matters is that they have good loco moco, and quite a wide variety of loco moco too.

Comment

L&L's is one of the plainest loco mocos out there. It's good that you got the mini, because it's actually not bad in that quantity. Get a regular and you'll be sick of it before you're through.

Diners in Kalihi actually has a nice loco moco, believe it or not. Nico's at Pier 38, also good. Get one at Liliha Bakery! Order the hamburger steak and tell them to put two eggs on it. Yum.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I've not had Loco Moco yet, although I've been wanting to try it. The only thing holding me back is the egg. I'm not a big fan of eggs, they have a tendency to make me queasy..
        Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
        Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

I was in Hilo yesterday and ate lunch at Ken's. They have a sumo loco moco on the menu that sounds huge. I brought a menu back with me.

6 scoops rice, choice of spam (9), 5 oz beef patty (2), or mahi mahi, gravy , 3 eggs any style.

sounds big.
          n'importe

Comment

the Sumo: the loco moco pūpū platter.

If you order one, they ring the bell and all staff, along with those patrons so inclined, will holler out SUMO!

Loco Moco is two scoops of white rice smashed into a blob, a hamburger patty over that, a fried egg on top, and brown gravy poured all over. If other meats are substituted, it becomes "animal name-Moco" (chicken loco, salmon loco, spam loco, etc)

a double loco is two patties + two eggs.

a fried loco is with the eggs fried for those who hate runny yolks

a dry loco has no gravy

if one holds the egg, it is called a "hamburgergravyrice"

When fundraising for my kids' sports teams, I'm always the Fry Lede at the concession booth.

pax

Comment

Mahalo Drive Inn on Young Street (which used to be a former L&L Drive Inn) also has Loco Moco but their Wednesday special I believe combines the Loco Moco with BBQ Chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
                I've not had Loco Moco yet, although I've been wanting to try it. The only thing holding me back is the egg. I'm not a big fan of eggs, they have a tendency to make me queasy..
                Then order without the egg.

If you're allergic to egg, then you better ask if they use egg as binder for the hamburger patty (which IMSHO, shouldn't be plain ground beef).
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Check out this hamburger steak (just add egg for Loco Moco) and teri beef mixed plate my friend ordered today...

Gravy's lookin' good!

Guess where from? Concessions Surf and Snacks at Ala Moana Beach Park! Yes. the concession stand on the Ewa side of the beach park. This Hamburger Steak plate got huge praise for its most excellent, deep, hearty and rich brown gravy and a tasty char-grilled, house-made burger patty. This is coming from a "Hamburger Steak plate enthusiast".

So if that's any indication, their Loco Moco (also $6.50) must also be equally excellent. Beach view no extra charge.

Concessions Surf and Snacks at Ala Moana Beach Park
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Is there a Loco Moco specialty restaurant that offers a menu of Loco Moco bowl/plate options (e.g., chili loco moco, curry loco moco, etc.)?
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Eldest spawn and I split a loco moco at Big City Diner. Even then, we don't finish it. What a decadent artery clogger it is! Yum...

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                        Is there a Loco Moco specialty restaurant that offers a menu of Loco Moco bowl/plate options (e.g., chili loco moco, curry loco moco, etc.)?
                        That's Cafe 100 in Hilo. A whole menu board of loco choices. Yes, I give Cafe 100 props for being the supposed inventor of the loco moco, but it's not especially good. The variety is nice, and I had more than a few meals there when I lived in Hilo, but there are much better locos to be had at Ken's, Nori's (I think), and Blane's. Also, the last few times I went, they didn't offer Tabasco as a condiment; they only had chili pepper water, and that's just not going to do the job.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                          Check out this hamburger steak (just add egg for Loco Moco) and teri beef mixed plate my friend ordered today...

Gravy's lookin' good!

Guess where from? Concessions Surf and Snacks at Ala Moana Beach Park! Yes. the concession stand on the Ewa side of the beach park. This Hamburger Steak plate got huge praise for its most excellent, deep, hearty and rich brown gravy and a tasty char-grilled, house-made burger patty. This is coming from a "Hamburger Steak plate enthusiast".
                          My former co-worker is the guy that owns these concession stands. We used to order lunch for almost all employees every Sunday (it was a retail store) and the food is pretty good.

If they still have it on the menu, I'd recommend the spicy chicken :P
                          Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
                            I was in Hilo yesterday and ate lunch at Ken's. They have a sumo loco moco on the menu that sounds huge. I brought a menu back with me.

6 scoops rice, choice of spam (9), 5 oz beef patty (2), or mahi mahi, gravy , 3 eggs any style.

sounds big.
                            Whoa! That's my kind of loco moco!
                            What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              That's Cafe 100 in Hilo. A whole menu board of loco choices. Yes, I give Cafe 100 props for being the supposed inventor of the loco moco, but it's not especially good. The variety is nice, and I had more than a few meals there when I lived in Hilo, but there are much better locos to be had at Ken's, Nori's (I think), and Blane's. Also, the last few times I went, they didn't offer Tabasco as a condiment; they only had chili pepper water, and that's just not going to do the job.

I agree, Cafe 100 makes what I believe is the lousiest locomoco despite their incredable menu selection. Today's special is the Salmon Loco (Bleh!!!) If they'd only get away from using those frozen patties and went with fresh hand made patties, I'd think Cafe 100 could be the king of loco. But the cut corners with the frozen variety and the powdered mix gravy. Heck even Zippy's makes a better loco moco!

Nori's does make a loco but I've tasted way better in Honolulu. Ya can't beat home made, just the way you like it.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X