Ex-teammate becomes more successful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-teammate becomes more successful

I reference Grieco and Jazzy Jeff on another thread of actors who were teamed with people who later became big stars. Grieco had Depp, and Jazzy Jeff had Will Smith. Others that I can think of are the two Destiny's Child members who are not Beyonce, the other host with Seacrest Out of A.I, and the other guy with Keanu Reeves of Bill & Ted are just a few examples. Can you think of others?

Re: Ex-teammate becomes more successful

Sonny had Cher!

Comment

Would the group WHAM count with George Michael's solo career taking off?

Ike & Tina Turner?

Comment

Paul Simon became more successful than Art Garfunkel.

Yep, the other guy in the WHAM duo was Andrew Ridgely - not as successful as George Michael
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

It's an interesting thread topic, but I find your first example kind of strange. 21 Jump Street was an ensemble show. It's true that Johnny Depp was the true breakout star among a cast of previously little-known talent, but to call Richard Grieco his less-successful partner is not really in keeping with what I think the intent of your topic is. I mean, why call Grieco the less-talented former partner when you could also name Dustin Nguyen, Holly Robinson (rawr!), and Peter DeLouise, all of whom were part of the original cast, which Grieco was not? It's sorta like naming Lionel Richie as the more successful partner and five or six other Commodores as less successful.

If I read you correctly, what we're looking for are former partners who, successful together, decided to go separate ways, or (for more irony) former partners who went separate ways because the one who was later to be far less successful dissolved the partnership.

Darn it. I had a pretty good list in my head, but it's escaped me. I'll jump back in after breakfast.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

A couple more:

Kenny Loggins has been more successful than Jim Messina.

Michael Nesmith has probably been the most successful of the four Monkees after the group split up.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Skeeter Davis had a hugely successful solo career after leaving behind the Davis Sisters act.

Wynona Judd experienced a good deal of solo success after mother Naomi was forced to forced to leave the Judds act due to illness.

Tom Hanks has largely overshadowed his Bosom Buddies co-star, Peter Scolari. Ditto Mork & Mindy co-stars Robin Williams and Pam Dawber.

Chuck Mangione crossed over from being a respected jazz trumpeter to a pop star fluegelhornist after leaving brother Gap Magione's band.

Cheech Marin has garnered many recognizable TV/movie roles, while most people still have trouble remembering ex-partner Chong's first name. (Tommy.)

And speaking of "ensemble acts," how many people here remember Space Ghost actually having sidekicks? Jan, Jace, and monkey Blip were all MIA in Space Ghost Coast to Coast.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                It's an interesting thread topic, but I find your first example kind of strange. 21 Jump Street was an ensemble show. It's true that Johnny Depp was the true breakout star among a cast of previously little-known talent, but to call Richard Grieco his less-successful partner is not really in keeping with what I think the intent of your topic is. I mean, why call Grieco the less-talented former partner when you could also name Dustin Nguyen, Holly Robinson (rawr!), and Peter DeLouise, all of whom were part of the original cast, which Grieco was not? It's sorta like naming Lionel Richie as the more successful partner and five or six other Commodores as less successful.
                I'm trying to remember who was more popular at the height of the show's popularity. Grieco was Batman, and Depp was Robin because Grieco got a spinoff tv series. Depp overtook Grieco after teaming with up Tim Burton. Holly Robinson was Batgirl, Dustin Nguyen was the butler, and Peter DeLouise was the police captain in the cast pecking order. Too bad Dustin Nguyen didn't become popular like Bruce Lee who played second fiddle to whoever the actor who was The Green Hornet.

Comment

Just thought of one. Bruce Willis became a big movie star after Moonlighting. But, Cybil Shepard had some sucess in television.
                  Who's going to be more famous? Heidi or Spencer? They wrote a book about how to be famous.

Comment

Of the three principal actors who were in the original Star Wars movies... Mark Hamill, Carrie Fischer and Harrison Ford - Ford clearly became the most successful actor of the trio.

After the original Star Trek series was cancelled, about the only actor to break out of the Star Trek mold was William Shatner who went on to star in several other TV shows (TJ Hooker, Rescue 911 and Boston Legal) over the years. Leonard Nimoy had some success after Trek too, most notably to me a regular role for a few seasons on Mission Impossible.

Most of the other cast members were pretty much stuck in the Star Trek universe and all enjoyed varying degrees of success when the later Star Trek movies were made. In the 1990s Walter Koenig had a recurring role on the Babylon 5 TV series.
                    Last edited by mel; August 2, 2010, 03:02 AM.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

You could really have fun with this when it comes to sports and teammates I think....

You can say Penny Marshall has been more successful than Cindy Williams.

Comment

A more talented and/or charismatic performer coming to the fore ahead of an ensemble group has happened countless times. (Jennifer Aniston of Friends, Michael J. Fox of Family Ties, Michael of the Jackson 5, etc. etc. etc.) OTOH, the phenomenom of one member of a duo becoming a superstar while the other person languishes doesn't happen quite as often.

Over the years, Robert Vaughn has had much more visibility than David McCallum, his co-star on The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Ditto that of Martin Milner maintaining a higher profile than Route 66 co-star George Maharis. Both of these situations are ironic, given that McCallum and Maharis had a lot more media attention and fan mail than their respective partners when those TV shows were on the air.

On the musical front, Bill Medley had marginally more success than fellow Righteous Brother Bobby Hatfield as solo artists. But once again, I find that ironic given that the biggest selling Righteous Brothers record ever (Unchained Melody) features Hatfield singing all by himself.

And while the recently deceased Robert Culp has had a more than respectable career in show biz, his accomplishments simply pale in comparison to I Spy co-star Bill Cosby.

Square Pegs didn't last long. But it offers another example of an equally-billed duo (Sarah Jessica Parker and Amy Linker) whose entertainment careers went in opposite directions.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          If I read you correctly, what we're looking for are former partners who, successful together, decided to go separate ways, or (for more irony) former partners who went separate ways because the one who was later to be far less successful dissolved the partnership.
                          How could we forget Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis? Very successful together - even more successful as individual acts.
                          Originally posted by mel View Post
                          Michael Nesmith has probably been the most successful of the four Monkees after the group split up.
                          Very much so, at least when it comes to finances.
                          Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          Skeeter Davis had a hugely successful solo career after leaving behind the Davis Sisters act.
                          Ooh, very good one - and it reminded me that Dolly Parton was certainly more successful than Porter Wagoner after they split their act.
                          And speaking of "ensemble acts," how many people here remember Space Ghost actually having sidekicks? Jan, Jace, and monkey Blip were all MIA in Space Ghost Coast to Coast.
                          They did show up in two episodes, but usually as painful reminders of his past. In "Lawsuit," the twins employ Dr. Nightmare as their attorney. Space Ghost hires attorney Greta Van Susteren.

Comment

A more talented and/or charismatic performer coming to the fore ahead of an ensemble group has happened countless times. (Jennifer Aniston of Friends, Michael J. Fox of Family Ties, Michael of the Jackson 5, etc. etc. etc.) OTOH, the phenomenom of one member of a duo becoming a superstar while the other person languishes doesn't happen quite as often.Over the years, Robert Vaughn has had much more visibility than David McCallum, his co-star on The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Ditto that of Martin Milner maintaining a higher profile than Route 66 co-star George Maharis. Both of these situations are ironic, given that McCallum and Maharis had a lot more media attention and fan mail than their respective partners when those TV shows were on the air.

I'd question any of the FRIENDS having much success after the series ended, Courtney Cox is the only one who actually has a steady gig right now? Hasnt the only hit movie Jennifer Aniston been in is MARLEY & ME and the movie was about a dog instead of her? Maybe that is why it was so successful, despite her.

Another show, SEINFELD has any of the cast had much success after the series went off the air? Most of the CHEERS gang seems to have hit a rut too.

Don't forget McCallum is on a hit series right now with NCIS, but I get what you mean. I understand Vaughn has a hit series overseas right now or did quite recently.

How about Pierce Bronsan having a pretty big movie career with James Bond and his co-star from REMINGTON STEELE, Stephanie Zimbalist fading into oblivion after the network Movie of the Week's were replaced by reality programs? I think this is a major reason why you don't see tv stars of the past on television anymore, because of a lack of scripted shows and movies.

Comment

Speaking of Nesmith didnt his mother invite whiteout?

How about Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin's careers taking off after they departed LAUGH IN?

Carol Burnett after the GARY MOORE SHOW ended....

Regis Philbin being Joey Bishop's sidekick on his talk show....

Comment

Working...
                              X