Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Circuit Circus
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 11th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
If one can only purchase products/services provided by people with perfect morals, then the pickin's are going to be mighty slim.
Amen. Clean hands are hard to find in the world.
Old November 25th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Ali`i

call me wishy washy but I gave my wife my iPhone 4 and bought a Blackberry Torch for Verizon. This one doesn't have the slide out keyboard like the AT&T model. And guess what! Defective right outta the box. Now I gotta drive all the way back to Kona to return and get another one from Costco. Saved $50 by buying thru Costco, spent $36 bucks in gas to get it, now gotta spend another $36 bucks to return and replace. So much for saving $50. Oh well it's a good excuse to do another Costco Run from Hilo. Costco is around 129 miles from Hilo to Kona then another 129 miles back.
Old November 30th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Ali`i

The markets are being flooded with stuff that has built in limitations and being paraded as the kewl next thing.
Electronics are fine, in their rightful place, but a big flat panel TV is the next opiate for the masses as others have commented.
Computers have an addictive nature akin to gaming machines.
In an earthly paradise like Hawaii there is no need to mope indoors staring at screens that Helco charges for by the minute.
Consider the fact that the foxconn factories where some apple products are built have a suicide fence around the upper floors of the building to stop anguished employees hurling themselves to their death.
Old September 13th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Ali`i

In case you didn't catch it, here's a link leading to video coverage of Apple's press conference yesterday.

While much of the buzz has been focused on the iPhone 5 and the features of iOS 6, there were several other new products that were introduced, like newly redesigned models of the iPod Nano, iPod Touch, as well as a revamped iTunes software.
Old September 13th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Kia`aina

It sure was a yawner.
Old September 24th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagab View Post
It sure was a yawner.
I guess the millions of people around the world who stood in line to purchase an iPhone 5 this weekend didn't get your message.
Old September 24th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Ali`i

The map function has displayed images that would make Salvador Dali proud.

Drooping bridges and melting clocks.
Old September 24th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
I guess the millions of people around the world who stood in line to purchase an iPhone 5 this weekend didn't get your message.
Apple sure is a powerful marketing machine...and an ecosystem with a deathly grip on its users.
Old September 24th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Apple sure is a powerful marketing machine...and an ecosystem with a deathly grip on its users.
What exactly do you mean in the last part of your statement? Just curious.
Old September 24th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
What exactly do you mean in the last part of your statement? Just curious.
Apple has a great ecosystem as long as you don't want to leave, which is very difficult...if at all.
Old September 25th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Ali`i

Sounds like 'Hotel California'

Old October 11th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Apple has a great ecosystem as long as you don't want to leave, which is very difficult...if at all.
If one makes a habit of purchasing all their music and movies through iTunes downloads, then your point is valid for those folks. But for people who primarily purchase CDs and DVDs, your words hold little relevance.

And just as an update to what I wrote in post #242, the concern over the lack of long-term support for Android devices continues. No better case in point than Motorola canceling plans to upgrade several of its 2011 flagship smartphones with Ice Cream Sandwich (a.k.a., the Android 4.0 platform), thus breaking the company's earlier promise to update its phones' OS for at least 18 months.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...roken-promise/

Needless to say, this made a large group of Motorola consumers unhappy about being stuck with unsupported phones that are still under contract.

In the meantime, Apple recently put out its current iOS6 software for all iPhones going back to the 3GS. This, despite the fact that the 3GS is no longer being manufactured. True, the 3GS's iteration of the iOS6 doesn't include all the features you will find on an iPhone 5 (like the 3D maps, Seri, etc.), but the important thing is that 3GS owners are still provided with the latest in security/privacy protection.
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
If one makes a habit of purchasing all their music and movies through iTunes downloads, then your point is valid for those folks. But for people who primarily purchase CDs and DVDs, your words hold little relevance.
While I am an Apple owner and have been for a long time, the iTunes store is my least favorite place to purchase music or movies. It is good for getting free apps for your iOS devices, keeping those things updated and storage of the tracks you already purchased. They are also the best place to easily browse and get free podcast content.

Since Apple pushed their per-track price up to mostly $1.29 ea., I have avoided the most music purchases there. I used to purchase a lot of tracks from them when they were 99Ę each. Now I only download the few free songs that they give away.

I rarely if ever buy any video content from them.

I still prefer CDs and if I can get current ones for $10 or less then I'll buy those... otherwise its over to Jelly's and see what they have in the $1 rack.

For digital music, my preferred place is Amazon since many of their tracks are still 99Ę each (sometimes less) and digital music albums are frequently on sale for $5.00 or less. Plus Amazon does not tack on the Hawaii GE tax like Apple does.

Amazon has a good piece of software that allows you to download and automatically place your tracks in iTunes... and like Apple, all music you purchase is stored in their cloud too.

Finally Amazon offers at least 100 tracks a day for free download... and I have found many good songs in their free download sections. Better than Apple's few free song offers per week.
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
...and iBooks, iMessages,..

Yes, Apple undoubtedly has the best in class support.
Old October 15th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Ali`i

Unless one happens to live in a class of society whose sole purpose in life

has been designated by the state to work at foxconn and make

smartphones
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Exclamation Re: Apple Announcements

Apple announces iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C
Quote:
Apple Inc. said Tuesday it is replacing the iPhone 5 with two different phones -- the higher-end iPhone 5S, which can be bought with a gold case, and the more affordable "unapologetically plastic" iPhone 5C.

The iPhone 5S features a new system-on-a-chip that Apple claims will make it twice as fast as its predecessor and it is the first-ever 64-bit smartphone. It also features Touch ID, a fingerprint authentication security feature.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 01:39 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Red face Re: Apple Announcements

The October Apple announcements have been made!
  • OSX Mavericks update, free
  • Updated MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, lower entry-level pricing
  • New MacPro, announced in June, priced at $2,999
  • Larger iPad renamed iPad Air, thinner, faster, one pound light.
  • The iPad mini gets a Retina display, but higher price at $399
  • Older models stick around: iPad 2 and 2012 iPad mini at $299.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 05:07 PM

So for late 2013 the only things that have not been updated are the iPods, iPod Touch (not counting the fact that it can run iOS7) and the Mac Mini (however now offered with OSX 10.9).

The 13 inch MacBook Pro without retina display but still offered with built in super drive and ethernet is still in the line-up but offered with OSX 10.9. The 15 inch MacBook Pro with super drive and ethernet has been discontinued.

Oh well... at least the latest OSX Mavericks is available at a bargain basement price.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 10:25 PM
Ali`i

Iím in somewhat of a quandary. I really wanted to buy the new iPhone 5S, so last month I went online on the day it was released. I went about filling out the order and was about to finalize it when I noticed the shipping date was in October (turns out they sold out within half an hour), so I decided to wait. And Iím glad I did, because later there were reports of people getting sick because of the new iOS, and I am very susceptible to motion sickness. I canít read on a moving vehicle (car, bus, or airplane), I get sick using a microfiche machine to scan old newspaper articles, I get nauseous watching certain movies that use jerky hand-held camera techniques (like The Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield).

So this past weekend, I went to the Apple Store to test it out. I fiddled around on the iPhone for twelve minutes and was feeling okay, so I was happy and making plans to buy the phone, but then I started to walk away and thatís when it hit me. I began to feel queasy, and as the minutes went by and the farther I walked, the queasier I became. So no iPhone. And since this is caused by the new iOS 7, it must also affect the new iPad that was just announced, which is something that I also wanted to buy. I know there have been fixes mentioned (disabling the parallax , reducing the motion, etc.), but Iíve read that this doesnít work 100 per cent. I also know only a small portion of the population is affected, what percentage I have no idea (5%, 10%?); one report says that 25% are affected, but I canít believe itís that high. I think itís closer to 5%, or even less. Unfortunately, Iím in that small percentage.

Has anyone bought a new iPhone or updated to iOS 7 and experienced motion sickness?

The new OSX Mavericks sounds good, though. But Iíll wait a bit before updating. I just hope in the future they donít mess with the Mac OS in a way that will give me something more painful to worry about.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 12:41 PM
Ali`i

Red face Re: Apple Announcements

Big day for Apple yesterday.

The 22 most important things Apple announced at WWDC 2014
http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/2/576...u-need-to-know

WWDC 2014 Roundup: Everything Apple Announced Today
http://gizmodo.com/wwdc-2014-roundup...day-1585002620

Apple WWDC 2014: iPhone, iPad updates, "smart home" system and more
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wwdc-201...stem-and-more/

By the by, Honoruru, sorry I missed your question last year! There are options in the iPhone settings to turn off most of the swooshy tilty stuff that goes on in iOS 7, if that was the main issue. Either way, I hope you got the phone that worked best for you!
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:26 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
By the by, Honoruru, sorry I missed your question last year! There are options in the iPhone settings to turn off most of the swooshy tilty stuff that goes on in iOS 7, if that was the main issue. Either way, I hope you got the phone that worked best for you!
I never did get the iPhone 5S. But I am determined to get the iPhone 6 this fall. I just hope I can order it before it sells out. That was the killer last year, that it sold out almost as soon as it was available. I'll wake up eariler this time (a lot earlier than the 5 am last year). Lesson learned.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 12:23 PM

Do not upgrade to Apple's iTunes 12.2.

Warning To DJs: Do Not Upgrade To iTunes 12.2!
http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2015/07...o-itunes-12-2/

iTunes 12.2 and iCloud Music Library: A Disaster for Your Music Collection
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...sic-collection
Quote:
iCloud Music Library was introduced with this week's iTunes 12.2 and Apple Music release, and it's turning out to be a big bag of hurt. Instead of giving us a unified music library across all our devices, it's scrambling albums and tracks, and even adds DRM to songs you already own which will lock you out of albums you ripped from CD if you ever drop your Apple Music subscription.
It's a good thing I am still using iTunes 11.4. Have no intention to upgrade for now.