Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Circuit Circus
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 7th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Default Apple Announcements

Well, the much-anticipated WWDC kicked off today, with most of the attention focused on good ol' Steve Jobs' keynote address.

Main product announcement? The Mac Pro (no, not a Macpro), the replacement to the G5 tower. A dual dual-core (Quad Core), 64-bit, 3GHz machine that's now Apple's top-of-the-line, and that now marks the completion of Apple's conversion to Intel processors.

Also covered, the upcoming Leopard release of OSX (multiple desktops via Spaces), Time Machine (backup utility), upgrades to Mail, iCal, iChat (including some fun green/bluescreen-like live video effects that don't require a green/bluescreen at all), Spotlight...

Well, no full-screen iPod, no iPhone, nor many of the other common predictions... but things are clearly going well for Apple.
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Luna

Default Re: Apple Announcements

But the stock price went down right after Jobs started talking.
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Well, I'm an Apple customer and fan, not a stockholder. Besides. Things are bound to be wobbly up or down right around a major Apple conference. Folks who were expecting the iPhone are probably bummed, but those just requiring a consistent and quality product line and ongoing innovation are pretty happy.

I'm impressed that for the simpler configurations, the Mac Pro comes in under $2,500. Compared to reasonably appointed but high-end PC towers, that's downright competitive... even without all the media creation and other advantages a Mac comes with.
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Ali`i

People still buy Macs? Veddy Interesting?
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Ali`i

A few folks, yes. Though I'm sure the crowds in the Apple Store are just as much there for the free chili and rice than for the merchandise.

And, seriously, not everyone buying Macs are longstanding cult members who've gotten addicted to the Kool-Aid. Fifty percent of Mac purchases these days are to people new to the platform. And while that's still bupkis and a half versus bupkis to some folks... it's pretty damn good for this particular "niche" company.
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Kumu

Long time PC and Linux user, now an (almost) full time Mac user here (Linux server at home, and Windows PCs at work). After a while you get tired of putting up with BS from your computer and it's a joyful bit of relaxation when it more or less just works. Yeah, there are exceptions to that, but the things really are nice. And they are reasonably priced for what they are too (not just Macs, compare "apples to apples" vs Dell or something, and see what I mean).

I'd rather watch a Jobs keynote any day vs MS too. "One more thing" and some righteously deserved digs at MS' attitude, or "developers developers developers developers!!"

Anyone watching their electric bill would do well to take a look at them too -- they are some of the quietest, least power hungry computers you can get right now for the CPU power.
Old August 8th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Luna

After having bought and maintained 9 PCs over the last 20 years, I finally got fed up and bought a Mac this time. Damn, they're expensive. But they sure do come loaded with cool stuff. And they really do just work. I had been hassling for months with getting my cell phone to talk to my PC, but the Mac made a Bluetooth connection easily, the first time, with no extra software needed. Whee!

Now if I could just get it to run my Windows programs, too.
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric
That's what Boot Camp, Parallels, and the forthcoming CrossOver Mac are for! I know those options were one safety net that a few recent switchers have kept in mind for comfort... but all the ones I know so far find they don't need Windows anymore at all.
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric
If you bought the newest Macs with an Intel processor, all you need is either Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop and of course a copy of Windows XP. Install all of this on your Intel Mac, and you can probably run most of your Windows programs.

While I don't own a Mac Intel yet, I hear that the Parallels is the better of the 2 currently available Windows solutions to run on Mac.

After seeing the new Mac Pro introduced at yesterday's conference, I surely would love to have one.

Addendum: Looks like I got caught in a simultaneous posting trap. Probably typed too slow.
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Luna

After spending all that dough on a Mac, I am reluctant to drop another couple hundred for a full copy of Windows to install and run under Boot Camp or Parallels. Crossover Mac is supposed to run Windows programs without needing Windows itself, so I'm waiting for that -- or even better, for its free cousin, Darwine.
Old August 8th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
But the stock price went down right after Jobs started talking.

Figures...everytime Apple comes out with the "New and Improved" model of anything they drop the price leaving the initial buyers with empty wallets and a less powerful machine.
Old August 8th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkona
Still ? New apple stores opening all the time. If you do any sort of Post Production professionally, be it music or video, chances are you're working on a Mac. You'll rarely see them in, say, a real estate or insurance office.
That being said, both platforms are becoming more similar every day.

I've always been an apple user, but it's really down to what you learned on.

Also, Those PC's get those nasty viruses...almost none on a MAC :-)
Old August 8th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
Figures...everytime Apple comes out with the "New and Improved" model of anything they drop the price leaving the initial buyers with empty wallets and a less powerful machine.
Yeah, damn them! That never happens in any other industry with any other product!

I hear you on paying for Windows, Eric. Considering that a distaste for Windows would be one of the more common reasons for buying a Mac, it seems a bit ridiculous to shell out money for that operating system. But for those who have PC-only apps (particularly those that WINE derivatives won't support), or have to do cross-platform testing, dual-boot and virtualization are pretty darn good options. And options that only exist on the Mac side of the fence.

A friend of mine has a MacBook running OSX, pre-release Vista, and Ubuntu. A triple-boot system!
Old August 8th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Kumu

Quote:
I know, I just bought an iMac yesterday and I'm waiting for them to announce next week that a new merom/conroe based one is to be released at the same price, or something. I'll bring out my KHAAAN!! at that time.

The way I try to look at it, if you were content to pay what they were asking for what they offered before, there shouldn't be a problem, right? They're just trying to maximize their profits by following economics: charge what people are willing to pay (or a little more).
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkona
only the one's smart enough to know the difference. I mean there are a lot of people who haven't a clue about Macs too. Just because you own a computer doesn't mean you're techie. I mean look how many people still use AOL?!?!?

With Macs you hardly have to concern yourself with spyware, malware, etc, etc. Seems like Window boxes need security updates every other day! Plus any geek worth his broadband would love to own one of these new Macs that were shown yesterday.

A real plus with the new Intel Macs is the ability to boot into Windows( God forbid!), or Red Hat(any open source OS)!

Bottomline, all you need to know is, Redmond steals most of their innovation from Cupertino!
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy
only the one's smart enough to know the difference.
Not another Mac vs. PC war, please.

PC users aren't stupid and Mac users aren't elitist punks, though I'm sure there's a fair population of both groups in both camps. It is possible to discuss the appeal Apple machines without making enemies of non-Apple users (though it's about as irresistable to some as baiting folks the other way 'round, obviously).

I have fun on my Mac, but earn a living on my PC. I'm glad both are there. This thread was simply started just to discuss the latest Apple news, and to be sure there are already more than a few other Windows-specific discussions for Windows fans.
Old August 9th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon
Not another Mac vs. PC war, please.

PC users aren't stupid and Mac users aren't elitist punks, though I'm sure there's a fair population of both groups in both camps. It is possible to discuss the appeal Apple machines without making enemies of non-Apple users (though it's about as irresistable to some as baiting folks the other way 'round, obviously).

I have fun on my Mac, but earn a living on my PC. I'm glad both are there. This thread was simply started just to discuss the latest Apple news, and to be sure there are already more than a few other Windows-specific discussions for Windows fans.
who said anything about OS war? The prejuidice against Macs drives me crazy! Just the other day I heard yet another lame comment about Macs..."there is not enough software" Or "there isn't enough good games running Mac OS", etc,etc,...
Old August 9th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard
I know, I just bought an iMac yesterday and I'm waiting for them to announce next week that a new merom/conroe based one is to be released at the same price, or something. I'll bring out my KHAAAN!! at that time.

The way I try to look at it, if you were content to pay what they were asking for what they offered before, there shouldn't be a problem, right? They're just trying to maximize their profits by following economics: charge what people are willing to pay (or a little more).
It's always smart to wait till after Macworld or the WWWC to buy Apple hardware. Steve Jobs annually unveils something new from Apple during these two events.
Old August 9th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
who said anything about OS war? The prejuidice against Macs drives me crazy! Just the other day I heard yet another lame comment about Macs..."there is not enough software" Or "there isn't enough good games running Mac OS", etc,etc,...
Well all one has to do is to look at the Mac Display at CompUSA and then walk all the way over to the Ewa end and see the racks and racks of PC stuff.

Very limited variety for Macs and then there's the accessories! A friend bought a Mac Laptop and needed the laptop cooler. The white Apple one cost twice as much as the same black PC one sold in CompUSA. Wassup wit dat? He ended up buying the black one for half the cost.
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Kumu

Quote:
It's always smart to wait till after Macworld or the WWWC to buy Apple hardware. Steve Jobs annually unveils something new from Apple during these two events.
Well, during the his keynote anyway. No updates for the things I was interested in anyway, and I don't want to wait until Macworld (would make it somewhat pointless to get what I got )

'Course as soon as I say that he's going to have a last minute announcement of new iMacs...
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:55 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Well all one has to do is to look at the Mac Display at CompUSA and then walk all the way over to the Ewa end and see the racks and racks of PC stuff.
chumpUSA is hardly a Mac Advocate! Years ago billed as a store within a store Apple put in the corner of the far backside of store? Plus, they are very limited on Mac software there too. Apple should drop their agreement with ChumpUSA if you ask me. The people working there aren't trying to even sell a Mac to you! They try to persude you into buying a PC instead???

Quote:
Very limited variety for Macs and then there's the accessories! A friend bought a Mac Laptop and needed the laptop cooler. The white Apple one cost twice as much as the same black PC one sold in CompUSA. Wassup wit dat? He ended up buying the black one for half the cost.
very limited variety???? Are you talking about Hardware? I think Apple's lineup of their hardware is just right!

Laptops (2)

1.) MacBook Pro
2.) MacBook

Desktops (3)

1.) Mac Mini
2.) iMac
3.) Mac Pro Tower

I guess I could go on about their iPod lineup, and their monitors too, but what's the sense? Bias towards Macs have been forever it seems.

As for it's software goes, anything good on a PC , is almost always ported over to the Mac. Yeah, it appears that there is about 5 times to software on the PC side as to the Mac side. But look at some of those titles on the PC side!
Old September 6th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Ali`i

Ooh, new iMacs! Starting at $999. I love our iMac G5 (PPC) and it's pretty sweet with 2GB of RAM... but now that I'm using a MacBook with the Intel chip, I imagine just how slick these new all-in-one desktops must be. And the form factor remains just beautiful. A pleasure to have on one's desk, even when off! They seem to have updated the Mac mini, too, putting the Core Duo in the entry-level $599 machine.

Of course, most folks are excited about a mysterious Sept. 12 media event, dubbed "Showtime." Rumors are swirling, from a movie download service to the oft-predicted widescreen video iPod. The fact that Apple updated its product line this week, without fanfare, makes next week's announcements even more tantalizing!
Old September 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Kumu

Yeah, my month-old Intel iMac with Core 1 Duo is feeling a little inadequate right about now. But the big differences in the bumped lineup are the Core 2 processor with about a 1.5x speed boost (will probably be 2x for Leopard, with the 64-bit stuff), and 1G of ram by default for the 17" and up. They also added a 24" iMac. I still feel like I got a pretty good deal when I got mine so I have no regrets about it.
Old September 6th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Kia`aina

I've got my finger on the trigger for getting our nephew who lives with us a Nano. But the rumored Nano update to a metal case and more memory has me waiting until the 12th.

With all the new hardware coming out I could feel like my G4 Powerbook is sooooooo 2005 but nah...it works fine.

But the touch screen ipod with say 80g of memory...drool,,,,,,
Old September 7th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener
Default Introducing MacPro

Here you go, Mel: Your new avatar!

aaaaand resized for HT's 70 x 70 maximum:

Last edited by scrivener; September 7th, 2006 at 02:47 AM.