Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Route 808
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 4th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Rail Transit

I haven't been following the whole thing. It's good that they are looking at the whole thing and not just getting stuck on "rail". I wonder why Hannemann is insistent on rail? I've seen a little on what I think they are looking at. Sure sounded great to me.
Old November 4th, 2007, 05:06 PM
sansei

Default on bus rail transit

hi this is sansei and i have one comment on the proposing bus rail transit is i this morning spoke with my sister on the mainland and i've learned that a bus rapid transit with an elevated highway wouldnt work is that my sister said that she's seen this in her city and it didnt work even with elevated highway's is their highway's are toll and if we have this here,people woujld complain on paying a High Fee for the toll and my sister suggested that they should use a Railtransit which would be like a Train style so i thought to share my thought's with everyone.

Well thank's for your time:O(
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Kia`aina

Default Re: on bus rail transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansei View Post
:my sister on the mainland said that she's seen this in her city and it didn't work even with elevated highway's is their highway's are toll and if we have this here, people would complain on paying a High Fee for the toll:O(
If 20% were willing to pay the toll on a given day, that would take 20% of the cars off the H-1.

I use a toll road in San Diego occasionally and it works there and is a lot less costly than rail.

Bob
Old November 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Kumu

Whatever the solution it should accomplish two things:

1) Help move thousands of people in that 2-hour rush-hour time window.
2) Not require additional parking in downtown Honolulu.
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:41 PM
sansei

hi this is sansei and im hoping that our mayor in a couple of year's has our railtransit built and not with a Bus type of system,with a train type of system from the other side of the island to town and the designated route's that come with it is that would be a Great thing for the people of hawaii.i dont think a Bus type of rail would help.

well thank's for your time
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Ali`i

Unhappy Re: Rail Transit

hi this is cyn and i'm up really late tonight cause i have INsomnia and i think rail would be great when i was a Freshman, at UH my econ prof was against it and showed us number's why it was bad but, i didn't believe him but thats okay i met my college boyfriend in that class And it takes so much effort to write this way it Hurts.

well, thank's for nothing

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:08 AM
sansei

Default on our soon to be rail tranisit

hi this is sansei and it's good to hear that soon we'll have our railtransit and it'll be good since we wont have trafficgridlock after this and i once again applaud our mayor on this and if this goes as the mayor planned,even i who ride's a Moped wont have to sit in Traffic Gridlock and that's not fun.

Well thank's for your time
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Kumu

Default Re: on our soon to be rail tranisit

I guess you didn't read this article:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...802100361.html
Transit system likely won't improve traffic
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Ali`i

So this is a done deal? What land are they going to use? I hope it wont be too obtrusive.
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Luna

It's not even close to a done deal, but it is gaining momentum.
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:00 PM

The train will not reduce traffic congestion. It is a waste of tax money.

HonoluluTraffic.com
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Ali`i

Stupid plan, and a complete waste of several billion dollars.
Only way to reduce traffic is a) limit the number of cars allowed on the island, b) implement staggered work hours wherever possible, and most importantly c) redesign and rebuild the ridiculously stupid arrangement of on- and off-ramps on our freeways.
Currently, most are in an X design, where cars come onto the freeway just before where cars get off. That's what slows traffic horribly and also causes lots of accidents as people try to change lanes.
That's bass ackwards. Much more logical to use a > pattern, where cars get off the freeways before encountering cars getting on.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:46 PM
sansei

hi this is sansei and in response to Likanui.i disagree is that What i believe your saying is that Elevated Highway's or toll highway's dont work since it's been tried in the Mainland and even one collapsed and the one in san francisco doesnt work either is that the price of the fare keeps going up and that's not good and what we do need is the railtransit and it truly work's since i've been in san francisco and i rode it and it's quick to get from one place to another so I hope this may help with your thought's?

Well thank's for your time
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
Only way to reduce traffic is a) limit the number of cars allowed on the island, b) implement staggered work hours wherever possible, and most importantly c) redesign and rebuild the ridiculously stupid arrangement of on- and off-ramps on our freeways.
Currently, most are in an X design, where cars come onto the freeway just before where cars get off. That's what slows traffic horribly and also causes lots of accidents as people try to change lanes.
That's bass ackwards. Much more logical to use a > pattern, where cars get off the freeways before encountering cars getting on.
while i think that rail is a good option for honolulu (and therefore disagree with you on that, likanui), i wholeheartedly and without reservation completely agree with you on the absolutely and shamefully poorly designed state of our freeways, esp through honolulu proper. anyone who's driven in other parts of the world where freeways are designed in what you call a > format knows it is much more efficient and safer.

i may have mentioned this before--but do any HTers know if something eric heard is true? that the designer of the honolulu part of the freeway killed himself over the ignominy over it? i looked online before for info on it, but never found anything to corroborate what he heard.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericncyn View Post
[...]that the designer of the honolulu part of the freeway killed himself over the ignominy over it?[...]
I have no idea, cyn, but, thanks to you, I learned a new word today!
Old February 24th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Ali`i

I believe the rail concept is great but in usual island politics, the execution of the plan is being bumbled. We need to get more private investment involved. And we need to resolve the Salt Lake route, since the state is upgrading HNL, can't the city work with the state in building a people mover from airport to the closest planned Salt Lake station?
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to LocalMotion

yes the rail is a nice "Concept", but it's not going to get enough cars off the road to make the kind of difference people who support the rail are wanting...

Most major cities that have a rail of some sort still have terrible traffic on the highways. people like driving their cars even if they find themselves sitting in traffic.

For the price, the hawaii rail is much wasted tax payer money. sure there will be people that ride it, mostly people taking theBus, but in the long run it's a big misappropriation of funds.
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Luna

It amazes me how many people are deluded into thinking that rail is going to stop people from using their cars to drive to work. In all the cities on the mainland where rail has been built, rail did nothing to improve traffic congestion. Honolulu will not be any different.

It is an absolutely epic waste of money.

The money could be much better spent on things like a tunnel or bridge under/over Pearl Harbor to Ewa, or extending the airport viaduct down Nimitz Hwy. Such projects *will* improve traffic congestion, but our mayor isn't smart enough to see that.

At 5 billion dollars, this boondoggle is going to cost each family in Hawaii over $20,000, to include neighbor island familys who will not get any benefit from rail.
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Ali`i

It is claimed that this thing will cost 4.5 BILLION, right? so....in Hawiian/unionspeak this translates to......maybe 6 BILLION?!

I'm moving to the mainland, I swear...first chance I get to sell this place and scadoodle, lol.
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
It is claimed that this thing will cost 4.5 BILLION, right? so....in Hawiian/unionspeak this translates to......maybe 6 BILLION?!

HonoluluTraffic.com's Cliff Slater stated that the cost to build rail is close to $6.4 billion!

More at HonoluluTraffic.com
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

For those of us old enough to remember days when Pali Highway and Likelike Highway were the only reasonable ways into town from the Windward side, it would seem that those arguing for more (and better) roads have a strong point. Traffic from the Windward side used to be awful, even on good days. Throw in one stalled vehicle just before a tunnel, and it seemed everyone was late going anywhere from anywhere.

The H-3, for all its problems and issues, proved once it was functioning that the bumper sticker was right: We all needed H-3. The drive from the Windward side, while still not exactly fun during rush hour, is a million times better now.

It seems that if some similar alternate avenue was created for those coming from the Leeward side into town, we could really do something. I honestly don't know about people not wanting to get out of their cars, since I have been both driver and pedestrian in the past few years and saw the appeal of both modes, but I believe if mass transit was attractive enough and everyone gave it a shot for about a week, enough people WOULD leave their cars home to make this work. Failing that, it seems another way in is the only solution.

I don't think limiting the number of cars on the island is a practical solution. Rethinking the way we approach our homes and our workspaces is much smarter. If you can get people living closer to where they work, drives to work will be shorter. The buses are crammed with working-class people who have to work in Waikiki but could never afford to live there. What if we got all those people busing from Ewa, Kapolei, and Mililani into homes they could afford closer to town?

The recently failed Kakaako redevelopment plan and the newly proposed Victoria Ward plan are models that consider these variables. Mixed-use districts combined with homes for people of various incomes will mean fewer cars on the roads. In my twelve years as a teacher, I have never lived further than a fifteen minute drive from where I work. It makes my own life a lot better, but I like to think that since I'm on the freeway now for only the distance that stretches between two offramps, I'm also doing my part to make everyone else's drive slightly better. Imagine if thousands more of us were doing the same thing.

I confess to being disappointed by the "steel wheels on a steel rail" option that's being recommended partially because I think something new and different will get people to give alternate modes a chance.
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Only way to reduce traffic is a) limit the number of cars allowed on the island,
I got this weird feeling where we take our queue from China, only one car (not one child) per family.

Don't get me wrong. I live in a place where parking is scarce and you have a neighbor with a big family and so have more cars than they can put under their carport.

Quote:
b) implement staggered work hours wherever possible, and most importantly
Like many people wants to work graveyard shifts. It can only work if downtown Business District -- e.g., Fort Street Mall -- doesn't close down (like Longs on Bishop Street).

Even better if not some but all banks do not take the same holidays off as the government. Even more ideal that the government don't take holidays (and I'm not just talking about the first responders). Bah Humbug.

Quote:
c) redesign and rebuild the ridiculously stupid arrangement of on- and off-ramps on our freeways.
Is that even possible without disrupting the traffic flow, which is worse as it is?
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapen View Post
It amazes me how many people are deluded into thinking that rail is going to stop people from using their cars to drive to work.
The only way to stop people from using their cars is to stop offering fuels to them.
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Kumu

When the cost of gas and price of parking gets high enough, people will start to re-think how they get to work or school each day.

Increasing the number of routes into the city isn't a great long-term solution because the traffic ends up in the same spot with a limited amount of parking available.

Living closer to work is a great concept but a too many can't afford it. That's why so many subdivisions are being built in Ewa and beyond.

The long-term answer is finding an energy-efficient way of moving people, not cars. And it has to be independent of the mess on the freeways as well as less labor-intensive as another bus system. Rail might not be the perfect answer today, but it's a step in the right direction in the long run.
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:40 PM

Dr. Panos Prevedouros, the lone dissenting vote who went against the majority on the technology selection panel, will be the featured speaker at this coming Thursday's Small Business Hawaii Sunrise Breakfast. There may still be seats available, but you'll have to call SBH @ 396-1724.