Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Big Picture
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 5th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Ali`i

Default Battleship

Saw the promo during the Super Bowl for this new sci-fi movie Battleship, looked pretty exciting. Anybody know about it? Almost makes me want to do something I havn't done in decades, go to the movies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship_(film)

Last edited by Ron Whitfield; February 5th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Battleship

According to IMDb and the Apple Movie Trailer sites the movie Battleship opens on May 18, 2012.

Parts of it was filmed in Hawaii but its been more than 1 to 2 years ago.
Old February 6th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Ali`i

George, at the liquor connection (Ward Warehouse) says he had a bit part in the movie - that's enough reason for me to go; to see George on the big screen again.

He said it's based on the old board game "Battleship." Go figure.
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old February 6th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Ali`i

A friend of mine is playing the chairman of the Joint Chiefs. He's in the trailer. He was actually hired on the film as a military technical advisor.
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:03 AM
Ali`i

Saw this movie at the Ward Theater this afternoon with a friend.

Its a movie with a mix of scifi, alien invasion, action, scenes of Hawaii, some silly scenes, and not much of a romance story thrown in.

Overall an average movie with some good and bad things that cancel each other out, for instance there is a plot point that the concept of how the Battleship game gets into the movie, in terms of how one ship is able to target its weapons against the enemy, but in order for that to happen there is not enough things in real life to make it happen.

There is a kind of long scene after all the credits are done.
Old May 21st, 2012, 04:42 PM
Kumu

Do we get to watch Honolulu being destroyed in this movie?

Hmm.... that sounded worse than I meant it. It's not like I would want to see anything bad actually happen here -- but after watching cities like New York and LA get blown up over and over in countless scifi/action flicks, I think it would be entertaining to watch that special effects destruction rain down on someplace I'm familar with.
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:49 PM
Luna

In describing the movie to friends without giving anything away, I said that Battleship has the same look and feel as Independence Day. Whatever was good and bad about Independence Day applies to Battleship.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:36 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zff View Post
Do we get to watch Honolulu being destroyed in this movie?
Destroyed no, damage oh yeah.

Last edited by helen; May 22nd, 2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
Kumu

From the Wikipedia synopsis:
Quote:
On the chance that it[the extrasolar planet] contains intelligent life, NASA transmits a powerful signal from a communications array in Hawaii, which will be boosted by a satellite in orbit.
That doesn't make any sense.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:42 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Quote:
On the chance that it[the extrasolar planet] contains intelligent life, NASA transmits a powerful signal from a communications array in Hawaii, which will be boosted by a satellite in orbit.
That doesn't make any sense.
Evidently they are alluding to the planet Niburu, which is entering our msolar system as we speak, and will allegedly be here By December 21, 2012, hastening our demise into destruction....

Google it.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:53 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
Google it.
I don't need to google Niburu -- I'll take your word for it. I meant that it wouldn't make sense to boost a powerful electromagnetic signal with a satellite. Whoever wrote that copy must think that you would amplify such a signal by a sort of ether fan, that would add speed to a signal flow to make an already powerful signal even more powerful, to punch its way through the ether to Niburu (as Doc Smith might have put it).
Old May 23rd, 2012, 01:47 AM
Ali`i

I suspect in real life if you want a satellite to send a powerful signal to space you either have the satellite do it or build/launch another satellite with more broadcasting power instead of having a ground station to be the source of the signal.

But in the Battleship movie there is a plot related reason why the ground station/satellite setup is there.
Old May 28th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Ali`i

Mostly I went because my friend, George O'Hanlon, who runs the Liquor Collection at Ward warehouse, had a part playing a Missouri Museum Docent (Kinda like a museum guide), and I wanted to see him on-screen. I was not disappointed. He did his part well.

The rest of the movie was fun. Humans vs. aliens, all kinds of technological differences and adaptations. I don't want to spill too much, so I'm holding back.

Know I recommend it, and after, go down to the Liquor Collection and freak George out with a 'you look familiar' thing - weren't you the docent on the USS Missouri in "Battleship?"

He'd get a big charge out of it.
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Ali`i

Fun flick - saw it yesterday. Know people who had background (extra) parts - including the all-hands-on-deck scene when the Admiral is addressing the multi-nation troops prior to RIMPAC. If you've seen it, you know how WHITE those sailer suits are when masses of Navy guys are standing in formation. Guy I know who was in the scene said that craft services did no one any favors when they laid out the lunch menu for that day's shoot: spaghetti. More than a few uniform 'casualties' that day.
Old May 29th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
Fun flick - saw it yesterday. Know people who had background (extra) parts - including the all-hands-on-deck scene when the Admiral is addressing the multi-nation troops prior to RIMPAC. If you've seen it, you know how WHITE those sailer suits are when masses of Navy guys are standing in formation. Guy I know who was in the scene said that craft services did no one any favors when they laid out the lunch menu for that day's shoot: spaghetti. More than a few uniform 'casualties' that day.

I also heard the extras were forbidden to use napkins during the meal.

How cruel!
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Ali`i

I saw a trailer of Rhianna saying "Mahalo M*bleep*" as she prepares to blast the bad guys and I thought, "mahalo"? did they not have anyone helping them with whatever Hawaiian words they decided to use?
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinboy View Post
I also heard the extras were forbidden to use napkins during the meal.

How cruel!
I'm trying to figure out why. It doesn't make sense esp. with white wardrobe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri View Post
I saw a trailer of Rhianna saying "Mahalo M*bleep*" as she prepares to blast the bad guys and I thought, "mahalo"? did they not have anyone helping them with whatever Hawaiian words they decided to use?
There's always (considering nothing is 100%!) an adviser available, usually on set. I haven't seen the movie but, possibly, the scene prior to the one you mentioned above might justify the word. And, possibly, the adviser wasn't consulted after the fact when the trailer was edited. Just guessing here! Helen? Did this use of "mahalo" make sense in the movie?
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Ali`i

I saw this movie, too. Itís silly summer fare. As they say, leave your brains at the door. Forget logic, forget a believable storyline. But you know what? I kinda enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Did this use of "mahalo" make sense in the movie?
That line really grabbed me when I first heard it. I did a double-take. Then I thought about it, and it sort of made sense. Sort of. Itís the scene where Rihanna begins to surreptitiously rotate the barrel of a large 5"(?) gun behind the alien who is busy trying to kill the good guy, but the gun is not quite there yet. Then the alien senses that something is wrong and turns around slowly until he is face to face with the gun. Thatís when Rihanna says ďMahalo Motherf***erĒ and fires. So I guess she is saying mahalo for putting your face right in my gun sight. Still, it is a lame line. By the way, thereís a funny entry at Vulture.com where they list every line Rihanna uttered in the Battleship.
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Ali`i

Thumbs up Re: Battleship

I enjoyed it! Lots and lots of Kaaawa valley scenes! Interesting story.
Liked the shape of the grenades the aliens launch at us.
They're the 'pegs' from the Battleship board game.
Gotta go spend a day on the Mighty Mo now.
Fun fare...
Old June 7th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Ali`i

Smile Re: Battleship

The movie was pretty good, I would rate it a B plus.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/battleship-2012/ in that movie; the actor; Hamish Linklater was in a comedy series called The new adventures of old Christine: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/old_chr...ish-linklater/ Believe it or not.
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Ali`i

I loved it!!
Old June 7th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Red face Re: Battleship

Glad to hear the positive reviews. I don't think anyone is expecting high art, but I've been curious about this one because of the Hawaii links, and I can appreciate a "big dumb fun" popcorn blockbusters with the best of 'em.

I recall they closed down a freeway for "Battleship" shooting. Is the end result of this work shown in the film? I gather from a brief flash in a trailer, the Airport Viaduct may have a bad day?
Old June 8th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
I loved it!!
Were you an extra, TG?
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Ali`i

H-1 near the airport does, indeed, bite the dust. Shredders bounce out of the sky into the middle of a kids baseball game and then devour the viaduct.

[If the city has to tear down now-abuilding rail pillars, maybe the should call in the Shredders. They'd make short work of it!]
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Ali`i

That's one scene I don't understand or making sense. I can understand the aliens unleasing those things on the Kaneohe Marine Base, but why the H1 and not the nearby Hickam Air Force Base or even the Pearl Harbor Naval Base where more ships are there, since there were no submarines in the fleet outside?