Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Mixed Plate
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 21st, 2009, 10:57 PM
Kia`aina

Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
Bought four ink cartridges for my Epson Stylus CX6000 printer. The printer drank all four cartridges in four prints! May as well have taken a lighter to a $50 bill.
Yikes!

At first, I thought you might be doing large format (e.g. poster size) prints.
Then I googled to see which printer you were talking about, and found this review posted on cnet.com (my emphasis added in bold):

http://reviews.cnet.com/multifunctio...l?tag=mncol;uo

Quote:
""BUYER BEWARE"

by applespice2006 on November 13, 2006

Pros: Cheap; lots of features

Cons: ink problem

Summary: Epson is experiencing an ongoing ink problem with this printer. It seems that the ink cartridges sent with the printer falsely indicate that they're empty when they're not. I've experienced this problem. And I'm not alone (check out the links below.) Epson tells me that the chip problem is only on the cartridges they sent with the printer and that other cartridges purchased elsewhere would not have this problem. I hope they're right. I've owned the Epson CX7800 and been very happy with it. If you're considering this printer, you might want to see how this issue resolves.
More than one reviewer mentioned the same thing. Could it be that you're getting false *empty* readings?

If not... hell, that's one THIRSTY printer!
I'd dump it and get something more economical, for sure!
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:45 PM
Ali`i

I called the ink store where I bought the cartridges from. They told me to bring them back and they'd exchange them for free. When arrived, there were four cartridges waiting for me. The girl there told me if those don't work they'd refund my original purchase price. I hope these cartridges work.

Either way though this place where I bought the ink from were really good about customer service. It's called Eco-Ink in the Hilo Shopping Center and they give you a punch card. Buy five ink cartridges and get the sixth one free. So I bought the four cartridges for my Epson and one for my Brother and now I have a completely punched out card. That's a good deal.

Another good deal is Office Max. Turn in used ink cartridges (doesn't matter if they refill them or not) and get $3.00 credit towards your Office MaxPerks account. I turned in six the other day and now I have a credit of $18.00. That's another great deal, so if you have old ink cartridges, recycle them at Office Max for credit.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:04 AM
Ali`i

Oh man I read those reviews on this printer. Sounds like I'm having ink problems like the many others that have purchased it as well. I may have to go to OEM cartridges as it seems the after market generic stuff just doesn't want to work with this printer. No wonder the girl there was so apologetic to me.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:52 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
[...]
Another good deal is Office Max. Turn in used ink cartridges (doesn't matter if they refill them or not) and get $3.00 credit towards your Office MaxPerks account. I turned in six the other day and now I have a credit of $18.00. That's another great deal, so if you have old ink cartridges, recycle them at Office Max for credit.
When this first started it was for oem cartridges only, no generics allowed. Do you know if this is still the case?
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:16 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
When this first started it was for oem cartridges only, no generics allowed. Do you know if this is still the case?
I tried the replacement cartridges and it seems the problem persists with generics. Going back to OEM.
Old November 5th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
People that don't acknowledge you at all when you hold the door for them, or when you allow them to go before you. Also, people that don't give way when walking opposite ways on a sidewalk. Next time that happens, I'll just continue on a collision course w/ them, and see what happens, I guess.
Same thing with exiting. Proper conduct say's you wait so those coming out, can, then you go. But no. Now it's shove your way past no matter what.
But not with me. I do as you suggest and let the chips, and butts, fall where they may. Unless of course it's an elderly or disabled person then I'll give them the room. Can't work for everybody, but I'm willing to take on those that want to push it further.
It usually just takes determined body language, and 'the eye' if needed, to get the point across before they have the chance to impede.
Rudeness is the rule more and more these day's. Don't put up with it.
When walking around, I'll always give space, but then some clowns don't reciprocate, or worse, take even more of yours. Wrong...
Then there's Waikiki, where these examples are in overdrive.

Last edited by Ron Whitfield; November 5th, 2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old November 7th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Kumu

We are having open enrollment for our medical plans. If I'm figuring this out right, I'd have to pay $374.84 a month for the self-only plan. That includes everything: medical, dental, drug and vision. I decided to sign up for only the medical and dental, which will come out to $309.94 a month. I'm due to get my vision checked and new glasses next year, but I'm going to delay it another 18 mos. I don't take any meds, so unless I get sick or something happens, I won't need the drug plan.

My husband's company pays for his medical. I keep telling him how lucky he is!
Old November 7th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharilyn View Post
[...]
My husband's company pays for his medical. I keep telling him how lucky he is!
Can he list you on his plan and pay the difference? Of course that would only make sense if it was cheaper to go that route.
Old November 8th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Can he list you on his plan and pay the difference? Of course that would only make sense if it was cheaper to go that route.
If I wanted to be covered under my husband's plan, he'd have to enroll in a family plan. Their family plan costs more than what I'd be paying in my self-only plan, so it's not worth it.

My coworker was moaning because she has to pay $1,160.00 a month premium for the family plan. I don't know how parents manage nowadays.
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
Same thing with exiting. Proper conduct say's you wait so those coming out, can, then you go. But no. Now it's shove your way past no matter what.
But not with me. I do as you suggest and let the chips, and butts, fall where they may. Unless of course it's an elderly or disabled person then I'll give them the room. Can't work for everybody, but I'm willing to take on those that want to push it further.
It usually just takes determined body language, and 'the eye' if needed, to get the point across before they have the chance to impede.
Rudeness is the rule more and more these day's. Don't put up with it.
When walking around, I'll always give space, but then some clowns don't reciprocate, or worse, take even more of yours. Wrong...
Then there's Waikiki, where these examples are in overdrive.
When I foresee a collision I simply stop in my tracks and make them sidestep around me. Works all the time.
Old November 8th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Ali`i

My pet peeve is when you're trying to help other people who COME TO YOU (call you) and while you're trying to help, they don't listen, cut you off, and tell you how stupid you are. I understand you're frustrated, but I'm telling you what to do to fix your situation. Stop cussing at me and telling me I'm stupid. I promise you I am not.

I hate my job. Yes, I know I'm lucky to have one. I understand that with every little bit of me. But that does not stop me from hating it. I am still looking for another one, but have to stay here until I find another. And everyday, I come home exhausted and mentally drained b/c people have spent all day taking their frustrations out on me. And I have to sit there and let them, even though it's their own fault. Company policy. And nope, can't terminate the call, even after being called a "f-ing retarding g-d b#$@" 3 times in 20 minutes. I asked. Twice.

Thank you for letting me vent. Please don't remind me to look on the bright side, b/c that just makes me want to scream. I just needed to get that off my chest.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Old November 8th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
When I foresee a collision I simply stop in my tracks and make them sidestep around me. Works all the time.
Saw a guy and his girl riding bike on the sidewalk yesterday. The guy goes off to avoid pedestrians, the stupid girl purposely holds ground down the center and forces people out of her way. I wanted to chase her down and toss her in the dirt.
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
Saw a guy and his girl riding bike on the sidewalk yesterday. The guy goes off to avoid pedestrians, the stupid girl purposely holds ground down the center and forces people out of her way. I wanted to chase her down and toss her in the dirt.
It's illegal to ride a bicycle on sidewalks in commercially zoned areas. It's okay in residential areas. But when a bicyclist rides on the sidewalk they must use a signalling device (Yelling, "Move It!") and head to pedestrians. Better to just walk it when in the company of pedistrians.
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Ali`i

It was along Kap. Bl. at McKinley High. No matter what the zoning, that kind of behavior isn't acceptable. She would have ran them over and not looked back had they not scrambled out of her way.

I usually ride my bike on the sidewalk, except in Waikiki..., but am naturally respectful of those in my path. With cops, it's always per the individual and how they feel at the moment as to if you get a ticket.
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Ali`i

my pet peeve for the last 10 days has been this little cootie.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Ali`i

Bummers, cyn.
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Ali`i

yuh-huh. it all started with the vog a couple weeks ago. sore, scratchy throat with hot sniffly nose eventually led to my having fluid in my lungs, for which the doc prescribed antibiotics last week. while the fluid is now gone, i'm still coughing pretty deeply & fairly often (and it's not very attractive). doc just prescribed a four-day course of steroids and admonished me to stay home (mostly to rest; partially so other people won't infect me with additional cooties while i'm on the road to better health).

factoid from my MD: everytime you sneeze or cough the air comes out of you as fast as 100 mph--in other words, you're hurling out a host a cooties at hurricane speed. and the spray can go as far as ten feet. tasty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
My pet peeve is when you're trying to help other people who COME TO YOU (call you) and while you're trying to help, they don't listen, cut you off, and tell you how stupid you are. I understand you're frustrated, but I'm telling you what to do to fix your situation. Stop cussing at me and telling me I'm stupid. I promise you I am not.

I hate my job. Yes, I know I'm lucky to have one. I understand that with every little bit of me. But that does not stop me from hating it. I am still looking for another one, but have to stay here until I find another. And everyday, I come home exhausted and mentally drained b/c people have spent all day taking their frustrations out on me. And I have to sit there and let them, even though it's their own fault. Company policy. And nope, can't terminate the call, even after being called a "f-ing retarding g-d b#$@" 3 times in 20 minutes. I asked. Twice.

Thank you for letting me vent. Please don't remind me to look on the bright side, b/c that just makes me want to scream. I just needed to get that off my chest.

SG, i just read this post of yours and i feel so badly for you. there is no good reason for a company policy that allows its employees to be abused in that manner. it's no wonder you're totally drained at the end of the day. i hope you're able to find a better job soon.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
[...]
factoid from my MD: everytime you sneeze or cough the air comes out of you as fast as 100 mph--in other words, you're hurling out a host a cooties at hurricane speed. and the spray can go as far as ten feet. tasty![...]
Forget which tv show I was watching but this exact subject was covered, complete with appropriate lighting, filter and an overcranked camera that actually showed the spew of droplets; the result of a sneeze. And, earlier today someone posted on Facebook a Dr. Oz video discussing how trains and buses are incredible breeding grounds for the flu. He, too, mentioned the 100mph sneeze.

I got the scratchy throat, hot nose, early sniffles last Wed. Got into my naturopath on Thurs. and became a human pin cushion! Dang...accupuncture works for me every time. The virus never took hold and all those minor symptoms were gone within 48 hours. She also talked me into power washing my sinuses with a neti pot (stop laughing!)!! I knew my ND (& Dr. Oz) was in favor of those but I just couldn't bring myself to try it before last week. Purely a psychological block! Then I heard that a neti pot can help as a possible preventative to upper respiratory viruses so I was willing to try. Easy-sneezy! (pun intended!)
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Forget which tv show I was watching but this exact subject was covered, complete with appropriate lighting, filter and an overcranked camera that actually showed the spew of droplets; the result of a sneeze.
"Mythbusters" has done a bit that they use as a promotion for getting H1N1 shots.
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Ali`i

The thousand frame per second sneeze vid:

http://www.break.com/index/super-slo...-sneezing.html
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Ali`i

i've used the bottle version of the neti pot and wouldn't diss it. once you get past the wierdness of it, it's quite pleasant...or at least i think so.

newest pet peeveis insomnia, brought on, no doubt, by the prednisone i'm taking. i've now been up for a little more than 20 hours straight. at least my future one a day doses will be at breakfast, not at merienda time, like yesterday. suffered other mild side effects that were not unexpected.

Old November 11th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Kumu

Child-proof caps on everything. I don't need them in my household. They're on vitamins, cleaning supplies, etc. I've got carpal tunnel syndrome, and I have to struggle with the vitamin bottle every day... don't most people keep those things out of reach anyway? But the worst is the toilet bowl cleaner. I have trouble with those even when my wrists were OK.
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
She also talked me into power washing my sinuses with a neti pot (stop laughing!)!! I knew my ND (& Dr. Oz) was in favor of those but I just couldn't bring myself to try it before last week. Purely a psychological block! Then I heard that a neti pot can help as a possible preventative to upper respiratory viruses so I was willing to try. Easy-sneezy! (pun intended!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
i've used the bottle version of the neti pot and wouldn't diss it. once you get past the wierdness of it, it's quite pleasant...or at least i think so.
The AF has been using a home-made neti pot for about three years now. She used to catch colds maybe 4-6 times a year; now, maybe once a year.

I can't bring myself to do the sinus irrigation, unfortunately, so I still catch maybe three colds a year on average - but they are generally mild (three days) and give me an opportunity to put on the brakes in a busy life for a brief rest.

But cyn - ouch! May you shake it all out soon!
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Kia`aina

Send a message via AIM to sophielynette

My recent pet peeve is lazy inconsiderance, where people throw their trash on the ground rather than walk twenty feet to the trash can, or leave their shopping cart in the parking lot because they can't be bothered to take it to the corral. When confronted with their laziness, they won't admit it, but instead say it's not their job/responsibility. It seems to run in the family.
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Ali`i

My pet peeve of the day: STUPID PEOPLE. "Hmm. I didn't pay a bill but EVEN THOUGH I ALREADY USED THE PRODUCT/SERVICE I DIDN'T PAY FOR, this is somehow your fault and I'm entitled to...something...somehow...and I'm not gonna pay for it. Because it's YOUR fault I didn't pay my bill. And now I'm gonna yell at you for it."

Can't think of anything creative this time