Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beef Jerky, love em or leave em

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    Longs Drugs in the Kahala Mall sold it...in the pink boxes.

Oh that stuff is to die for.

When I was living in Idaho, jerk meat was plentiful and cheap. I ate Buffalo, Deer, Rabbit, and even snake jerky. I think the best was the buffalo because the meat is dark and had lots of fat which made the jerky tender.

And then there's Buffalo ribs. Talk about being able to take a big bite without touching bone, but lotsa fat dripping off with each bite. Oh man that was a heavy dinner....Buffalo ribs, corn on the cob and Idaho potatoes polished off with some hot apple cider.
    Craigwatanabe
    Thanks for the info on Kahala Longs, i will give them a call and if they got them I am so there!

Your discription of the buffalo ribs experience is almost obscene! Man, that was the most beautiful words I could ever read on my final days of this diet! I am almost there and can almost taste it!~~ Rocky theme song in the background pumping me up for the finale....or is it the Ketchup theme song from the 70's? ~~~Anticipation.......
    Last edited by Hilo Artist; May 15, 2007, 10:52 PM.

Comment

The corn up in Idaho was simply the best I've ever eaten. My farmer neighbor told me I could take as much as I could eat otherwise corn was sold at roadside stands for a dollar a bushel. Each cob was so thick the ears were about an inch long. Imagine Kahuku sweet corn that thick not some manini ears. One cob was about as much as one could eat measuring over a foot long and 4-inches in diameter.

The buffalo ribs reminded me of the Flintstones Brontasaurus ribs. And the potatoes!!! When I first arrived in Mtn Home Idaho, I saw some farmers pulling out what I thought were boulders from the ground. Turns out they were potatoes the size of small watermelons.

And the thick stalks of grass along the highway was fresh asparagus.

But the jerky...you could go to any motor inn or truck stop and find a huge barrel of jerky strips sold by the piece. Some pieces looked like size 40-inch leather belts and they ran about a buck a piece. One was enough for the long haul from Idaho to Nevada almost 400-miles away to the border at Elko.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

do peppered beef steak nuggets from tillamook country smoker count as jerky? i found them in portland during a visit to the momola when we went shopping at, of all places, costco. mmmmmmmm they're so much better than any commercial jerky i've had, and better than any other beef nuggets by any other brand that i've found in hawaii. if i can't wait til my next trip to hang with mom, i ask her to send me a couple of bags.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
          do peppered beef steak nuggets from tillamook country smoker count as jerky? i found them in portland during a visit to the momola when we went shopping at, of all places, costco. mmmmmmmm they're so much better than any commercial jerky i've had, and better than any other beef nuggets by any other brand that i've found in hawaii. if i can't wait til my next trip to hang with mom, i ask her to send me a couple of bags.
          You sure it wasn't Kibbles and Bits? Moist tender chunks of beef...

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            You sure it wasn't Kibbles and Bits? Moist tender chunks of beef...

eh! not according to the package! do you happen to know for a fact, mr. watanabe, that kibbles and bits tastes like TCS beef nuggets? and if so, how did that come to pass, hmmmmm? you weren't in the proverbial dog house, were you?

maybe i should be relieved you're making a joke about a filipina eating dog food versus a filipina eating dog....*guilty look*
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
              eh! not according to the package! do you happen to know for a fact, mr. watanabe, that kibbles and bits tastes like TCS beef nuggets? and if so, how did that come to pass, hmmmmm? you weren't in the proverbial dog house, were you?

maybe i should be relieved you're making a joke about a filipina eating dog food versus a filipina eating dog....*guilty look*
              Sometimes when I eat those jerky nuggets I start to wonder if they really are dog food morsels...hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Hilo Artist View Post
                Marco,

Salmon jerkey sounds ono!
                Oh, it IS ono. Smoked salmon jerky is like da only thing I know how to do right in the kitchen, other than eggs and Korean BBQ.

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                Spam jerky ... Wow! That does sound interesting. Gotta try that one day.
                It's pretty interesting. I've been playing around with it forever, and think I've finally perfected it. I've actually turned our laundry room into kind of a smokehouse (only drawback is my dogs go crazy trying to get in there cuz of da smell. lol). I don't use tha dehydrator, cuz I tend to do it how my gramps taught me: da natural way. In fact, I bought him one last year, thinking he'd appreciate it, and he was givin me stinkeye for weeks. He's not a big fan of technology, I guess. I keep telling my wife and anyone else who'll listen that one day I'm gonna start up a business in spam jerky and make a fortune. But I got tired of them laughing in my face, so haven't brought it up in a while.

Now that I'm on the verge of graduating and getting out into the real world, I think it's time to rethink this idea. Maybe you and Hilo Artist can be my first customers?

Comment

Jack link is pretty good. those nuggets are tasty but have a strange spongy texture...
                  Jimmy's beef jerky - i tried looking in china town for this for the last few years. i recall eating it when i went to golden harvest. last time i went to chinatown a shopowner told me after the last mad cow scare that jimmy's shut down. if anyone sees any, please let me know!
                  I too make my own beef jerky, still need lots of practice. The only exotic thing I make is a curried beef jerky - made with sriracha, tumeric, curry powder, and the usual stuff.
                  For those of you who make your own, how thick do you ask the butcher to cut the meat? I think I am making mines too thin.
                  I use a dehyrator, but those trays are a pain to clean. I found out soaking it then using a hard bristle brush is pretty effective.
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                    Oh, it IS ono. Smoked salmon jerky is like da only thing I know how to do right in the kitchen, other than eggs and Korean BBQ.

It's pretty interesting. I've been playing around with it forever, and think I've finally perfected it. I've actually turned our laundry room into kind of a smokehouse (only drawback is my dogs go crazy trying to get in there cuz of da smell. lol). I don't use tha dehydrator, cuz I tend to do it how my gramps taught me: da natural way. In fact, I bought him one last year, thinking he'd appreciate it, and he was givin me stinkeye for weeks. He's not a big fan of technology, I guess. I keep telling my wife and anyone else who'll listen that one day I'm gonna start up a business in spam jerky and make a fortune. But I got tired of them laughing in my face, so haven't brought it up in a while.

Now that I'm on the verge of graduating and getting out into the real world, I think it's time to rethink this idea. Maybe you and Hilo Artist can be my first customers?
                    Marco

When i think of it, Spam would be a great jerky. It has good fat content, nice salty flavor, and nice texture. As jerky,it would definitly be different, Go for it! You may have something big there.

ericncyn,

Tillamook nuggets are great too! If I am not mistaken, those are the ones they sell right next to the cashier stand in Wal Mart here in Hilo. Good marketing scheme, as they put it right there up front so you grab one just before checking out.

Hell Bent,

I almost forgot about the Mad cow scare. Now that I will return to being a carnivorous being in a few days I am begining to ponder that idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                      Jack link is pretty good. those nuggets are tasty but have a strange spongy texture...
                      Jimmy's beef jerky - i tried looking in china town for this for the last few years. i recall eating it when i went to golden harvest. last time i went to chinatown a shopowner told me after the last mad cow scare that jimmy's shut down. if anyone sees any, please let me know!
                      I too make my own beef jerky, still need lots of practice. The only exotic thing I make is a curried beef jerky - made with sriracha, tumeric, curry powder, and the usual stuff.
                      For those of you who make your own, how thick do you ask the butcher to cut the meat? I think I am making mines too thin.
                      I use a dehyrator, but those trays are a pain to clean. I found out soaking it then using a hard bristle brush is pretty effective.
                      H, we use flank steak. Put it in the freezer till it's slightly stiff then take it out to cut. I cut it across the grain in 1/4" slices then marinate them. If I don't have time to freeze the meat, I make sure to use a very sharp 12" sushi knife. Partially freezing the meat will work with any cut and 1/4" seems to be a good place to start. Flank steak ends up about half the beginning thickness.

For the dehydrator grills, use any brand spray veggie oil. My wife forgot, one time, and I made sure she wouldn't do that again because I'm the one who has to clean the darned things. I spray them myself. Still get some stuff sticking, but not as much and it comes off much easier.

Comment

DRE, thanks for the tip, I have used vegetable spray, but mines must be too old. Still stuck!
                        Also, I usually ask the butcher to cut a roast, with the grain. Or was it against. I always forget... Theyll cut it for free.
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Man someone just gave me bag of Jerky (I'll spare the makers name) that gives jerky a bad name. Its a 7 ounce bag of original flavored, "card shaped kippered beef" that should be banned, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                            DRE, thanks for the tip, I have used vegetable spray, but mines must be too old. Still stuck!
                            Also, I usually ask the butcher to cut a roast, with the grain. Or was it against. I always forget... Theyll cut it for free.
                            We still get some sticking, too, but I don't think we'll ever get away from that completely especially since we use shoyu and sugar in our marinade.

You know, I never thought about having the butcher do the cutting for me. I've had them debone roasts for us, but never had them actually cut the meat into slices. Something to think about next time.

Comment

Originally posted by LocoBoy View Post
                              Man someone just gave me bag of Jerky (I'll spare the makers name) that gives jerky a bad name. Its a 7 ounce bag of original flavored, "card shaped kippered beef" that should be banned, lol.
                              I think that "kippered" jerky is made from ground meat instead of sliced. Makes for a softer jerky which is good for us old futs whom are having some problems with our teeth and gums. Most of my molars have root canals.

Actually, I've had some pretty good kippered jerky. Just depends on the brand I guess. Maybe you should post the brand.

They do have kits for making homemade "kippered" jerky. Kits include the seasonings and a huge syringe and flat tip for squeezing out the perfect shape and thickness.

Comment

It's like when you go to drying bananas or sugar and cinnamoned apple slices...gotta turn em or scoot them a bit all the time, or they stick. After they get a little bit dry, you can leave em an no stick.

Today I'm making dried banana slices, and maybe try a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar on top of them, too. I have 18 kilos of bananas...but the kids have already eaten plenty, and some of them are going into the freezer to be later dipped in chocloate and rolled in nuts as popsicles. And some will be made into little cakes that I can in small jars, so that we can have cake whenever we want.

I read somewhere that hotdog jerky is good, too.

I cube (1/2") meat and then fry it with salt and pepper and whatever, and then dehydrate it .... makes really good jerky nibbles. Turkey, beef, pork, fish...whatever, it's all good.

When I feel lazy, I just dry the meat raw, with nothing. That's good, too, plus it can be used for ordinary recipes after.
                                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X