Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 26th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Ali`i

Default Steak Houses

Been looking around in Hilo lately and I noticed one thing ....This town has no good restaurant that specializes in steaks(ok maybe Henri's).
I know Kauai has the Bull Shed and Oahu has Buzz's , but what other fine steakhouses can be found in our state?
I'm not talking about the chains like Outback, Sizzlers or Ruth's Chris, but real sit down steakhouses.

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
Flickr

Last edited by alohabear; January 26th, 2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Steak Houses

Hy's Steak House in Waikiki serves a great Chateaubriand (Filet Mignon). Also order their tableside Caesar Salad. As good as it gets.

The Colony in the Hyatt Regency Waikiki also specializes in steaks (they were voted "Best Steak" by Honolulu Magazine once IIRC), where they also grill with solid Kiawe logs + charcoal (I know someone who works there)...

This is the "Mixed Grill" dish, which includes a PRIME (not choice) cut of Ribeye and choice of lobster or Prawns (both shown). The "Peppercorn" steak sauce (next to the drawn butter) is awesome!

Call me shallow, but I ALWAYS have to have my medium-rare (more rare) steak accompanied with A-1 steak sauce. Pass me the A-1 please!

All it takes for a great steak is a quality cut of beef, simple seasoning and a live fire, wood-burning grill for that perfect medium rare, seared and grill-marked finish.

Last edited by Pomai; January 26th, 2007 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Caeser, not Ceaser!
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Ali`i

Eh Pomai...Alohabear said, "IN HILO"!!!

If there's one thing I sadly miss ever since moving off of Oahu was the good eats! From top notch restaurants to hole in the walls, you can't beat Oahu.

I stopped going to Hy's when Audie Kimura stopped playing there. But my favorite at Hy's was going there at midnight for Cherries Jubilee.

But Alohabear, one of my co-workers who grew up here in Hilo told me of a place in Downtown Hilo where the steaks are massive and good. I'll ask him again as I can't remember where or what it was.

As for me since I can't find a good steak house in Hilo I tend to make my own and the best steaks are made with simple rock salt and pepper and broil on an indirect heat source ala barbecue.
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Ali`i

I tell you what craig, if we could rally investors in a good Steakhouse in Hilo, we would make a killing.

Flickr
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohabear View Post
I tell you what craig, if we could rally investors in a good Steakhouse in Hilo, we would make a killing.
You know I thought of that and many other ventures but out here people tend to just do it themselves.

Like try finding a good place for fresh fish other than Suisan. Most people here catch their own fish so that leaves people like me who can't clean one without leaving nothing but scales and bones to fend for myself.

One sigh of relief was that I found out that KTA makes a pretty good baked manapua! As good as in Oahu which amazed me tremendously. I finally found a decent manapua other than 7-Eleven in Hilo!! But they only make baked manapua so if you want steamed or if you want pork hash or half moon...sigh...it's 7-Eleven, and boy it not Libby's!
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
I stopped going to Hy's when Audie Kimura stopped playing there.
As of last night, Audy is still playing there. Tuesdays through Saturdays.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
As of last night, Audy is still playing there. Tuesdays through Saturdays.
OMG!!! He's back? I think I'll have to reconsider my stay on the Big Island now. I remember when he debuted his first album "Friends and Lovers" he had a signing at then Horatio's.

Yeah Hy's and Audie make a great combination.
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
You know I thought of that and many other ventures but out here people tend to just do it themselves.

Like try finding a good place for fresh fish other than Suisan. Most people here catch their own fish so that leaves people like me who can't clean one without leaving nothing but scales and bones to fend for myself.

One sigh of relief was that I found out that KTA makes a pretty good baked manapua! As good as in Oahu which amazed me tremendously. I finally found a decent manapua other than 7-Eleven in Hilo!! But they only make baked manapua so if you want steamed or if you want pork hash or half moon...sigh...it's 7-Eleven, and boy it not Libby's!
When I was a child they were a few steakhouses in Hilo. Olaa Steakhouse and Rosie's Boathouse(ironically the old Olaa) they did very well. Cronies downtown has good steaks.

Flickr
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohabear View Post
When I was a child they were a few steakhouses in Hilo. Olaa Steakhouse and Rosie's Boathouse(ironically the old Olaa) they did very well. Cronies downtown has good steaks.
I'll have to try Cronies but I'm real particular with the way my steak's cooked as well as fish. But it's worth a try one evening.
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Eh Pomai...Alohabear said, "IN HILO"!!!
Not Craig. He said..

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohabear
but what other fine steakhouses can be found in our state?
STATE! Why, you 'tink cause you on da' biggest island (geographically), you guys represent da' whole state?

Actually, since Parker Ranch on the big island sells cattle, it's almost a no-brainer to open a PARKER RANCH STEAK HOUSE. Sounds good to me!

Alohabear and Craig, you should hit them up on that!
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
Not Craig. He said..

STATE! Why, you 'tink cause you on da' biggest island (geographically), you guys represent da' whole state?

Actually, since Parker Ranch on the big island sells cattle, it's almost a no-brainer to open a PARKER RANCH STEAK HOUSE. Sounds good to me!

Alohabear and Craig, you should hit them up on that!
Das right! Now it's our turn to be Big Island-centric for a change

But you did mention Parker Ranch and I do remember a place called Koa's that people on the West End rave about.

But Alohabear did mean Hilo.
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Ali`i

if we're including oahu in this discussion, i'd say dk steakhouse is wonderful. i treated the beau to dinner there for his mmmphth birthday last year. he found his porterhouse so tasty that he didn't season it one bit.

if we're including maui, then i'd mention makawao steakhouse. gracious service, wonderful food. next time we go maui, we're going to makawao steakhouse again, no doubt!

*drool*
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:19 PM
Ali`i

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...-with-new-name

Name change for Sizzlers.