Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Mixed Plate
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 15th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Default Shake and Quake!

Long bit of shaking here in Mililani about five minutes ago! Probably ten seconds of wobbling... long enough for me to go from amused to concened, capped off with a good shudder that prompted me into shuffling all the kids into the backyard for a minute. Definitely one of the strongest I've felt since leaving the Big Island, and certainly unexpected in the middle of the island.
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to LocalMotion
Default Re: Shake and Quake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
Long bit of shaking here in Mililani!
WHOA here too in Waikiki. bed shaking off he ground
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Ali`i

I'm scared. I'm by myself.

Plezzzzzzzz be with me.

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Banned

That was scary... woke me and my wife out of bed....

10 seconds worth of rocking here...and two pictures came off the wall and now another jolt!

This is kinda scary....
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Power blinked out. Posting via cell phone (that there's still service is a good sign... the rest of the world is still out there!) Was trying to link to the USGS earthquake page for "Did You Feel It?" reports. Anyone with power wanna help?

Only now realizing we don't have any battery powered radios... going out to the car to check for warnings.

Exciting morning! Kids are bouncing off the walls. Odd how a seismic event (and our adrenaline) can have an effect on 'em even if the two boys didn't notice a thing.
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Ali`i

Anybody with pets should also be having a swell time. Last time we had a huge quake up here (over 6 on the Richter scale), one of our usually very mellow popoki totally went ballistic, climbed on top of one of the computer desks and, wild-eyed and bushy tailed, proceeded to pee all over the floor. Later, in retelling the story, it became humorous, but at the time, Shimai was totally freaked out. They say animals have a 6th sense about natural disasters.

Miulang
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Ali`i

We're heading into town for Mass in Manoa... As of the airport, no lights at all since we left Mililani. Odd to see the tower dark. Might be awfully quiet on HT for a while.
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Luna

I have news for you!

I felt that too!!! some miles off of Kona...according to the websites a mag. 4.9 and 4.6 hit this morning!!!

I was in bed and woke me up too.

those are big ones
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang View Post
They say animals have a 6th sense about natural disasters.

Miulang
Scary stuff.
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Ali`i

From the USGS website: at least 11 quakes have been recorded, all off the coast of the Big Island and Maui. And this. Looks like they were fairly shallow quakes. Preliminary reports say one of the quakes registered 6.3 on the Richter scale.

Miulang

Last edited by Miulang; October 15th, 2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Kanaka

We felt both earthquakes too! In fact my son started freaking out as it woke him up out of bed. We are on the windward side and our power went out not too long after the 2nd quake.
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
Power blinked out. Posting via cell phone (that there's still service is a good sign... the rest of the world is still out there!) Was trying to link to the USGS earthquake page for "Did You Feel It?" reports. Anyone with power wanna help?

Only now realizing we don't have any battery powered radios... going out to the car to check for warnings.

Exciting morning! Kids are bouncing off the walls. Odd how a seismic event (and our adrenaline) can have an effect on 'em even if the two boys didn't notice a thing.
Here it is:

12 miles NE of Kailua-Kona 7:07:51 HST magnitude 4.6

34 miles N of Kailua-Kona 7:14:11 HST magnitude 4.9

14 miles NNE of Kailua-Kona 7:29:05 HST magnitude 3.6

First one's actually under the Big Island, the other two were under water off the coast.
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Ali`i

We made it into town... no lights anywhere. Two firetrucks roaring past. High rises have clusters of people milling about outside. People seem to forget driving protocol when the street lights are out.

Mass in the dark. No amplification. Kinda neat.
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Luna

Us big islanders are freaking out, i wanna know if there are any new lava flows somewhere!?!
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Ali`i

Report from Honaunau, Hawaii

GOOD GRAVY !!!

20+ seconds of major rock & roll. Biggest I've ever felt in my 15 years living on the rock. I guessed it at 5.0. House moved almost 2 inches and nearly off some of the pier blocks. Dogs are in "weird" mode. My oldest is standing on two steps with her ass pointed up in the air, and her head hanging low. Funny. We got pictures down, and stuff flew out the cupboards. Clean up time.

Walked to the store, and drivers said rock slides up and down Mamalahoa Hwy south of here. Have not seen a firetruck or police car yet headed south.

Hope everyone is all right.
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkona View Post
Report from Honaunau, Hawaii

GOOD GRAVY !!!

20+ seconds of major rock & roll. Biggest I've ever felt in my 15 years living on the rock. I guessed it at 5.0. House moved almost 2 inches and nearly off some of the pier blocks. Dogs are in "weird" mode. My oldest is standing on two steps with her ass pointed up in the air, and her head hanging low. Funny. We got pictures down, and stuff flew out the cupboards. Clean up time.

Walked to the store, and drivers said rock slides up and down Mamalahoa Hwy south of here. Have not seen a firetruck or police car yet headed south.

Hope everyone is all right.
I only heard one siren go off here in Hilo.
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Kumu

Yahoo News

Hope everyone's ok! I've only experienced one earthquake before, and that was a wimpy 2.2 or so It was enough for us to wonder what the heck monster truck was driving down our street and shaking the house for 5 seconds or so, but that was about it.

Last edited by Bard; October 15th, 2006 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Fix URL
Old October 15th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Ali`i

Manoa Safeway was open and getting swamped.

Sounds like KSSK is now the main information outlet.

Lingle was in Waikoloa (TV fell off the dresser in her hotel room), and Aiona and the cabinet are at CD in Diamond Head.

Malama Solomon calling in from the Big Island... landslides, roads closed, roof damage (Kona hospital, Wal-Mart), hotels evacuated...

Proof of the value of local radio... for a while most stations were offline or running on autopilot. Perry and Price are doing a great job.
Old October 15th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Kumu

Landlines are crazy busy over there. Tutu got a hold of mom but my father's side, I haven't heard from at all. Their cell phone voice mail boxes are automatically answering.
Old October 15th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Kumu

Oh and pz, I was checkin in on you and your 'ohana on myspace, Aunty Lynn too. Should have thought to come here first but didn't think you guys had power.
Old October 15th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Kumu

I just spoke to my mom about half an hour ago.....they were staying at the Pacific Beach hotel for her class reunion. They were on the 15th floor when it happened....my dad felt the building sway. Since there was no electricity, they walked down to the lobby and were told that the elec would be out all day. They then walked back up to the 15th floor, packed their bags and walked down. They're doing fine and were headed home...
Old October 15th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Ali`i

More from KSSK: We're a top story on Mainland news networks... Pleas to stay off roads, phones (oops!), and to conserve water... Stories of price gouging in Waianae ($15 per pack of batteries)... various callers plugging their stores being open for business... Laments over no football on TV... People calling to provide updates and reassurances in other languages (Vietnamese, Spanish, pidgin!)...

Just like the freeway shutdown, a heck of a test of our emergency systems' preparedness. some conflicting reports, some official offices with less complete information than residents calling in...

An interesting Sunday!
Old October 15th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Kumu

New numbers released from USGS. It was a 6.6 magnitude.
Old October 15th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Ali`i

Wathing it on CNN right now....hope you all are ok
Old October 15th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to Mike_Lowery

Very weak, albeit unusual shaking on Kauai this morning at around 7:10 AM. Nothing affected here, but I can't get a dang NFL game on TV. NLCS game better be on at 2.

flickr