Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Circuit Circus
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 31st, 2011, 02:49 AM
Ali`i

Default iPod touch

Does anyone use Apple's iPod touch, the models currently being sold on the Apple web site?

I am kind of interested in the built in camera features of the product.

The specifications make no mention of flash, zoom, or burst mode (able to take 2 to 3 shots at a time) capability.

I take it photos that are taken with this product can be uploaded to a computer (which would be a Windows 7 based computer) at a later time. Would that be via iTunes or would an additional software would need to be installed?

I am leaning on getting the 32Gbyte version which runs at $299.

Any other comments about this product (as well as the 8Gbyte and 64Gbyte versions)?
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:59 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT
Default Re: iPod touch

I am not sure on the burst mode, but I know you can zoom and stitch together panoramas and such. There are also all sorts of after market camera apps that you can use/add. Once you upload the photos to your computer, you can edit them using whatever program you like.

The newest generations of the iPod Touch are basically the iPhone with out the phone part. The only difference that I am aware of with the different models/capacities are just that, the amount of data you can hold.

An email from God:
To: People of Earth
Date: 9/04/2007
Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
God
Old December 31st, 2011, 01:45 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
The newest generations of the iPod Touch are basically the iPhone with out the phone part.
And the 3G data and GPS, but still with the WiFi.
Old December 31st, 2011, 03:58 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
[...]
I am kind of interested in the built in camera features of the product.

The specifications make no mention of flash, zoom, or burst mode (able to take 2 to 3 shots at a time) capability.
[...]
I have this iPod and am underwhelmed by the camera as it doesn't have a flash and is pretty low res. Once in camera mode, drag 2 fingers on the screen to get the zoom control. Tap on the screen with one finger for exposure.

The other thing I don't like about it...which won't affect you, Helen...is, when using iCal, the To Do list is excluded. The Apple Store staff was kind of confused by this...some saying it should be included, others saying it wouldn't. Well, it wasn't! I eventually found an app that allowed me to download that feature to my iPod. The To Do list is a necessity for me...my favorite feature in iCal!
Old December 31st, 2011, 05:20 PM

There are 2 cameras on the iPod Touch. One forward facing and one facing you... or is it backward facing... whatever. One you use to take pictures of yourself, the other you use to take pictures of stuff.

The still camera is definitely undwhelming... about the same .0975 DPI as my lowly Nintendo DSi. Still I have used the camera to take a lot of low-res pictures when I have nothing else around.

http://www.flickr.com//photos/macpro...81080456/show/

That said, the video camera function is superb. The back camera take high definition video as far as I know... very clear and nice. Probably equal to the 4G iPhone.

Other than that, the reason why I own an iPod Touch is because it can do most everything else the iPhone or the iPad can do but in a smaller and cheaper package... re: NO CELL PHONE BILL! You lay out money to buy an iPod Touch and you don't get hit with a monthly bill like a cell phone. I like that.
Old December 31st, 2011, 05:44 PM
Ali`i

for the same price of $199, you can get an IPhone 4S which has a much superior camera, all your IPod music features, videos, many other features plus the phone.
Old December 31st, 2011, 06:49 PM

And the $99 monthly bill.... iPod Touch = no monthly bill.
Old December 31st, 2011, 08:10 PM
Ali`i

my monthly bill is way less than that and includes my phone! I only have a cell phone bill, don't have a land line.
Old December 31st, 2011, 08:44 PM

Bottom line is this.

iPod Touch = no cell or phone bill of any type. Zero. zip. nada. 0
Old January 1st, 2012, 01:20 AM
Ali`i

I totally agree with that. but, since most have a cell phone, I'm just saying that this is a viable solution.
Old January 1st, 2012, 01:46 AM

Getting back to the camera features of the iPod Touch. As stated, the still camera is mediocre. Still it takes pictures and you can use many of the apps built for the iPhone on the iPod Touch... Instagram is one of the most popular... there are many others that "enhance" the camera function.

The main component of the iPod is a good wifi connection. Most of the apps available for the iPod Touch rely on a wifi connection. Best if you have a home network and know where the free wifi hotspots are around your town.

I like my iPod Touch for what I can do with it... internet, photography, video, music listening, radio streams, more... just look for an app at the iTunes App store. Many are free. Some of the paid ones are reasonably priced if you need something beyond free.

The iPod Touch is not a phone. However people buy it because they don't want a phone... or they may already have another phone and don't need another one. Yet they may want the functionality that the iPod Touch brings to the table without the extra cost burden of a cell phone bill. The iPod Touch fits the bill for this.

I am a proud owner of a 64GB 4th Generation (current) iPod Touch.

Last edited by mel; January 1st, 2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old January 1st, 2012, 01:51 AM
Ali`i

Helen, what are you planing to do with it? As far as I know, cell phone cameras are cell phone cameras. You'd do better to spend the same amount of money on a real camera, like a Canon.

I assume you're looking for something else as well.
Old January 1st, 2012, 04:26 AM
Ali`i

The cameras that will take video in mp4 file format seem to be a sort of universal
file format between assorted types of gadgets.
A video camera that encodes to standardised formats will get more viewers.
The world of computer video file formats almost reminds one of the tower of babel

Last edited by lensperson; January 1st, 2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old January 1st, 2012, 06:00 AM
Ali`i

I personally think that we all will promote whatever technology we happen to have at this time. So, I think that what you need to do is decide what is best for YOU and what is possible for YOU with the technology YOU have at this time.
Old July 5th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Kanaka

I am not a fan of itunes. So when I sold my 80GB Zune I was looking for another MP3 media player. Most who I talked to said I should get a iTouch.
I ended up picking up a Samsung Galaxy Media Player. They have them in 3.6, 4.0, 4.2, & 5.0" size screens. I went with the 5.0 Samsung Galaxy Player.
Old July 9th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Kanaka

The iPod Touch is a nice device that can use most of the iPhone apps (hint, hint) but I wouldn't get it for the camera features. I tried taking some pics with mine and was very disappointed.

Btw, it will be interesting to see what Apple does to the iPod Touch pricing when Amazon and Google mini-tablets are at the same price points.
Old August 16th, 2019, 07:11 PM
Ali`i

I am rethinking of getting an iPod touch not for the camera feature (but I could use it as such from time to time) but rather as a portable music listen device to replace my 11 year old iPod nano which while it still works the battery doesn't hold up a charge for very long. The last time I used the Nano was this week. I charged it on Sunday night, used it for a couple of hours on Monday and now today (Friday) the unit needs to be charged up again.

I am kind of disappointed that Apple no longer offers the Nano (1st choice) or the Shuffle (2nd choice) any more but then again the 32GB Touch is at $199 as opposed to being $299 eight years ago.
Old August 16th, 2019, 08:11 PM

I have soured on all Apple iOS products since I last posted to this topic.

Main reason... built in battery and no easy way to replace them.

The iPod Touch that I loved so much died last year because the battery just fizzled out, won't hold a charge even if the darn thing is plugged in. Functionally up to that time, everything worked... camera, music, videos, all the other apps...and then kaput.

Yes, as the battery slowly died I lost portability with the thing for the last 2 years prior. I kept it plugged into my Insignia powered speakers... which meant that the thing could stream music or play iTunes from the music I loaded into the device..

Still the battery will generally go downhill and die quickly once it cannot hold a charge for over 10 minutes.

Happened to my iPod 40 GB player, iPod Mini, iPod Nano and two original iPod Shuffles... all batteries cannot hold a charge for even more than 5 minutes... The devices work well, but the batteries can't be replaced. It totally truly sucks.

I have vowed not to buy an Apple device or any other device with built in batteries that users cannot easily replace.

That said, I am using a couple of old Android phones that do have removable batteries as my music players since they allow me to load music in a removable SD card.... plus they have apps that can stream while the thing is connected to my WiFi network.

So if you are looking for a cheap music player Android is an option as there may be used ones out there.... though like Apple many Android devices now have those dreadful built in batteries.

I do have one iPod Classic, 128GB I think that still works nicely and the battery holds a charge for a long time. Bought that in 2014. So that is where the bulk of my MP3 music is stored other than my Mac or on Google Play music.

But overall I am soured on built in batteries. Planned obsolescence stinks.

We spend a lot of money on these devices, they ought to last a long time!