Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hale Ku`ai > Announcing
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 15th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Ali`i

Default New Years Eve 2011 events list

Thought it might be fun to start a list of events for folks wanting to celebrate NYE and looking for something to do. Please add any you've heard about that sound fun and don't cost the usual arm and leg like the high priced hotels; some over $200. per person. Here's mine!

Al Waterson and Garry Moore/Little Richard/Sammy Davis/ad infinitum under one roof; the Hale Koa Hotel's Banyan Tree Showroom. Military and non-military revelers welcome! There's no doubt in my mind that this will be one heckuva great show. These 2 guys are crazy fun!

Only $69.95 per person and the price includes a fab buffet dinner, show, party favors, hats and a champagne toast at midnight. Additional drinks can be purchased at reasonable prices. Dinner service is at 7p and the show is from 9p til 12:30a. Validated parking is across the street at the Hale Koa garage.

Active military, retired ID card, current or retired DOD NAF/APF employees, please call 955-9546 to make your reservations. No military ID? Call Nancy Bernal at 947-5736 to provide your name and Nancy will obtain an F & B Card for you to make your reservations. For more info you can also email Nancy at NancyBernal@aol.com.
Old December 15th, 2011, 11:57 PM

Default Re: New Years Eve events list

I'll most likely be attending a free event at off my building balcony and watch or count how many illegal fireworks or aerials go off (all of it is illegal this year, so if people are honest and good, that count should be "zero") ... and maybe take a picture... and then after that go to sleep and wake up early for the first sunrise... and take a picture of that.

Less than $69... less than $20.... probably a dollar to drive my car back and forth early the next morning to find a good spot to take that sunrise photo.
Old December 16th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: New Years Eve events list

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post

Less than $69... less than $20.... probably a dollar to drive my car back and forth early the next morning to find a good spot to take that sunrise photo.
Spoken like a true Pake. LOL
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: New Years Eve 2011 events list

Thank you for your input, Mel, but this thread is for those who enjoy going out on New Years Eve and may not have enough money to spring for the big ticket shows.
Old December 30th, 2011, 07:47 PM

Well there are a couple of free fireworks shows... one in Waikiki and the other near Aloha Tower. Find free parking on the streets and you're good to go. There is one out in Ko Olina but you have to pay $20 for parking... but all still cheaper than staged musical events... there is a staged even at Aloha Tower but to see the fireworks you don't have to pay to go to the musical event.

Me, I'll stick with my cheap PA-Ke event... sunrise... free... almost.
Old December 31st, 2011, 12:20 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Me, I'll stick with my cheap PA-Ke event... sunrise... free... almost.
And if you share the photo with us here (as you often generously do), we all benefit. Happy New Year, Mel.
Old January 1st, 2012, 01:52 PM
Ali`i

Thumbs up Re: New Years Eve 2011 events list

Well my New Year's eve day was wonderful!
Don, Goldie and I sailed Kolohe from Keehi to the Ala Wai.
The rebuilding of Keehi Marine Center's marina will start soon.

Flickr set

I was actually asleep last night by 10pm.
Old January 1st, 2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
And if you share the photo with us here (as you often generously do), we all benefit. Happy New Year, Mel.
And here it is...

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...&postcount=585

Happy New Year to you all.
Old January 1st, 2012, 02:41 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menehune Man View Post
Don, Goldie and I sailed Kolohe from Keehi to the Ala Wai.
Heavy winds, yeah? And I noticed no boom vang, and only one set of reefs in the mainsail. Is he going to add a second set? And I hope he stores the liferaft down below so it doesn't get lifted.
I saw this story posted yesterday and knew it wasn't you guys:

"Firefighters rescued two people on a sailboat today after their motor stopped working and they started drifting south of Oahu.
"The boaters called for help about 4:30 p.m. when the motor on the 22-foot sailboat failed, said Honolulu fire Capt. Terry Seelig. He said they didn’t know how to operate the sails and couldn’t stop the boat from drifting."A fire rescue boat towed the vessel back to the Ala Wai Boat Harbor about 5:15 p.m. No one was hurt."

Some people.
Glad you all had a great day! Nice set of photos, from you and from Mel.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old January 1st, 2012, 02:49 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
And here it is...

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...&postcount=585

Gorgeous - thank you, Mel. Was that crowd photo at Mokapu near H-3?
Old January 1st, 2012, 03:13 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
??? Mokapu is on Maui. If you meant Makapu`u, it's nowhere near the H-3.

Old January 1st, 2012, 04:04 PM
Ali`i

Post Re: New Years Eve 2011 events list

Quote:
And here it is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
Heavy winds, yeah? And I noticed no boom vang, and only one set of reefs in the mainsail. Is he going to add a second set? And I hope he stores the liferaft down below so it doesn't get lifted.

"Firefighters rescued two people on a sailboat today after their motor stopped working and they started drifting south of Oahu.
"The boaters called for help about 4:30 p.m. when the motor on the 22-foot sailboat failed, said Honolulu fire Capt. Terry Seelig. He said they didn’t know how to operate the sails and couldn’t stop the boat from drifting."A fire rescue boat towed the vessel back to the Ala Wai Boat Harbor about 5:15 p.m. No one was hurt."

Some people.
Glad you all had a great day! Nice set of photos, from you and from Mel.
BEAUTIFUL sunrise photos Mel!!! Taken from one of the Diamond Head lookouts I believe.

Very light breezes but a lovely time! Goldie's very first sail and she was cool.
Yes Likanui... no boom vang yet, but on the wish list. Also another set of reef points for the main will be done asap. I bought a 13' heavy-walled aluminum pipe and we built a better reaching pole recently. We emptied Don's storage room so he no longer has that bill. Everything is either in the camper or on the boat. Hope no one messes with the life raft, no room below for it.

We heard the call asking to see if someone would tow them back in on channel 16. The Coast Guard asked them to switch to channel 22. So we did also to listen in.
Yes they were newbies that didn't know how to sail. A sad and awkward situation for sure. Glad they got help and home.
Old January 1st, 2012, 04:48 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Quote:
??? Mokapu is on Maui. If you meant Makapu`u, it's nowhere near the H-3.
No, I am speaking of Mokapu, the subdistrict of Kailua. Maybe Aikahi would have been the better term to use?
Old January 1st, 2012, 05:33 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
No, I am speaking of Mokapu, the subdistrict of Kailua. Maybe Aikahi would have been the better term to use?
That area is actually called Aikahi Park. And Mokapu Boulevard is called Saddle Road by everyone over here. It runs from Kaneohe Bay Drive to the rear entrance to the Marine Corps base.
Anyway, there's nothing at all in that area that looks anything like Mel's crowd shot. I agree with MM that it's one of the Diamond Head lookouts, somewhere near the lighthouse.
I figured you just had too much champagne last night, Leo.

Old January 1st, 2012, 07:16 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I agree with MM that it's one of the Diamond Head lookouts, somewhere near the lighthouse.
Right you are, according to Mel's Flickr account. I wondered why he would have been Windward side, since he's town side...

(I confess, it was the AF's guess.)

(Oh, and I was drinking sake instead of champagne, though I prefer Prosecco...)
Old January 1st, 2012, 10:19 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menehune Man View Post
BEAUTIFUL sunrise photos Mel!!! Taken from one of the Diamond Head lookouts I believe.[...]
Dumb question on my part...but isn't the sunrise viewed from the windward side? And that section of the road appears to be a bridge; something that Diamond Head Rd. doesn't have. I think Leo's guess is a tad bit closer! Just thinking out loud!

Beautiful shots, Mel.

ETA: Just saw LL's post immediately above! So much for my sunrise and bridge theory!!!
Old January 1st, 2012, 11:05 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Dumb question on my part...but isn't the sunrise viewed from the windward side?
The sun's pretty far south at this time of the year. I'd guess you'd need a view toward ESE to SW. Looking at Google maps, I can see a spot that has a bridge "edge" much like you'd expect to see around the blow hole area. It's not obvious that's what it is as you drive by.

From Mel's other photos, I think he's a confirmed "townie".
Old January 2nd, 2012, 01:21 AM

All photos were indeed taken near Diamond Head lookout. The bridge in the crowd shot is something holding the road up against the embankment near the Amelia Earhart monument... next to the parking lot. You guys ought to check it out, or maybe come by next year when I shoot this again.

I've gone to this spot almost every year for the 1st sunrise in about 5 years now.

2012 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/macprohawaii/6614454735/

2011 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/macprohawaii/5314866498/

2010 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/macprohawaii/4235262980/

2009 - Kaka'ako Waterfront Park

2008 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/macprohawaii/2155653967/
Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
Kumu

Send a message via ICQ to D'Alani

Quote:
That area is actually called Aikahi Park. And Mokapu Boulevard is called Saddle Road by everyone over here. It runs from Kaneohe Bay Drive to the rear entrance to the Marine Corps base.
Anyway, there's nothing at all in that area that looks anything like Mel's crowd shot. I agree with MM that it's one of the Diamond Head lookouts, somewhere near the lighthouse.
I figured you just had too much champagne last night, Leo.
Wow and all these years I thought Saddle Road was the road that goes across from Mokapu to Pali Hwy, by the old dirve in theater.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:34 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Alani View Post
Wow and all these years I thought Saddle Road was the road that goes across from Mokapu to Pali Hwy, by the old dirve in theater.
Are you thinking of Kapaa Quarry Road? That's the only road that connects Mokapu Blvd. to Pali Hwy.
When you come down Likelike Hwy. into Kaneohe it turns into Kaneohe Bay Drive when Likelike crosses Kam Hwy. (near Honda Windward). About a mile later Kaneohe Bay Drive then becomes Mokapu Saddle Blvd. just before it goes over the hill to Kailua (under the H-3), while you turn left to stay on Kaneohe Bay Drive. And yes, where Mokapu goes over the hill and under the H-3, it is legally called Mokapu Saddle Blvd. and that's why everyone over here just calls it Saddle Road, even all the way to the marine base rear gate. And whichever name you call it, it's at least two miles from any intersection with Pali Highway.
Oh, and Kaneohe Bay Drive turns into Kalaheo Avenue right at the Aikahi Park Shopping Center.
Whew. No wonder tourists always get lost in Hawaii.

Last edited by LikaNui; January 2nd, 2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Added the KBD > Kalaheo comment.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:06 PM
Kumu

Yes I was thinking of Kapaa Quarry Road, I worked for Ameron HC&D for 30 years and would go to the quarry quite often and still I thought it was called Saddle Road...auwe how lolo.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:02 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Alani View Post
Yes I was thinking of Kapaa Quarry Road, I worked for Ameron HC&D for 30 years and would go to the quarry quite often and still I thought it was called Saddle Road...auwe how lolo.
Nah, not lolo. Heck, every time I hear the name Saddle Road I still think of the one on the Big Island first, even though I live so close to the Saddle Road here.
When you worked at Ameron, was the radio-controlled airplane model field already there?
And I always get a kick out of the very thick ground fog that often lays right over Kapaa Quarry Road because of Kawainui Marsh.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:57 PM
Kumu

Yes the model airfield was there and I remember seeing some pretty wide wing span on some of them. I remember not being able to pass whenever there was heavy rains, until they raised the road.