Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > Na Kanaka
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 1st, 2012, 01:00 AM
Ali`i

Default A Praire Home Companion - New Years Eve show

Went to the 12:45 pm showing of A Prairie Home Companion at the Blaisdell Concert Hall with Albert and another friend.

While I missed today's airing, it will airing again on Sunday on KIPO at 6:00 pm. The later show will air on KHPR (88.1) at 10:00 pm tonight (all times at HST).

While I have heard bits and pieces of A Prairie Home Companion in the past I never sat thru an entire episode on the radio.
Old January 1st, 2012, 02:14 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: A Praire Home Companion - New Years Eve show

What did you think of it? Who were the musical guests?
I've listened off and on for decades.
Old January 1st, 2012, 02:47 AM
Ali`i

From Hawaii had Led Kaapana, Jeff Peterson, Danny Carvalho and Jake Shimabukuro.

I had the impression that A Praire Home Companion was a comedy show but its more a variety show.

Currently listen to the second show, it does sound differently from the first show.
Old January 1st, 2012, 04:20 AM
Ali`i

Again, no steel guitar!

Great lineup otherwise.
Old January 1st, 2012, 12:11 PM
Ali`i

The first show (the one helen attended) was the national broadcast, so we also got to hear it. Unfortunately, we didn't get to hear the second one (the special three-hour one) - that was broadcast only in Hawai`i and Minnesota, afaik.

Someone clearly worked with Garrison Keillor on his Hawaiian pronunciation; he was much more accurate than when he was there five years ago - except when he had to say material unprepared (such as when reading the audience note that wished someone "Hau`oli Makahiki Hou" - but he was closer than most mainlanders without the linguistic practice).

Points are definitely awarded to Keillor and guest Heather Masse (formerly of the Canadian band "The Wailin' Jennys") for a decent job singing "Pu`uanahulu" - that takes some courage to sing in an unfamiliar language ... in the home of said language.

Keillor also got in a few friendly digs at the haole side for the overthrow of the Hawaiian Monarchy, saying that was one of the dangers of allowing Caucasians into your homes, and that the missionaries went to Hawai`i because no one wanted them "back home."

He also seemed to have fun discovering that Jeff Peterson had Hawaiian koko, since there are many Scandinavian-ancestry Petersons back in Minnesota.

I don't listen to APHC as often as I did when I worked in public radio (and produced a similar national show), but it was a treat to hear this broadcast, knowing most of the local guests (I've yet to work with Danny Carvalho).