Best Japanese Bakery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Japanese Bakery?

What is the best Japanese bakery on Oahu now? Inquiring minds want to know.

(feel free to merge if this belongs in the Best Japanese restaurant thread)

Japanese bakeries are highly overrated.

But I'm willing to bet Saint Germain (in Shirokiya) will place high on the list.

Dyasu did a great write up on Satura Cakes.

I did one on Beard Papa, but I will not say they're the best at making Choux Creme (creme puffs). Actually a friend of ours from Japan is much better at making the ultimate Choux Creme.

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Best Japanese Bakery?

Adding...

Holy's Bakery in Kapa'au (Kohala) on the Big Island.

Holy's simply amazing, totally buttery, Buttered Apple Pie

That pie shown above is THE BEST APPLE PIE you will ever taste. Gauranz'-ball'baranz!

The name "Holy's" goes like this...

Yoshio Hori started the bakery in the 1930s just down the street, but moved it to the area behind the Nambu Hotel, owned by his uncle. The family name, Hori, when pronounced with a rolled R, sounded a bit like "ho-lee" to non-Japanese ears; so a Y was added and the name Holy's Bakery stuck.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

hi this is sansei and today i visited St Germain to what i thought to purchase an oblong Cake for my Mom on mother's day and they mentioned the price at $6.50 only i learned that the person who answered the phone was incorrect on the price and while i was at the bakery,i looked at the price and it was at $9.50 and then i went to Zippy's on Dillingham next to the American Saving's bank and at Zippys,i looked at their price and it was pretty expensive for a person like myself so i went to Star Market and purchased a One Layered cake for $5.50 and my Mom and I will enjoy this cake tomorrow for my Mom on her mother's day so I Thought to share this with everyone.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          Adding...

Holy's Bakery in Kapa'au (Kohala) on the Big Island.

Holy's simply amazing, totally buttery, Buttered Apple Pie

That pie shown above is THE BEST APPLE PIE you will ever taste. Gauranz'-ball'baranz!

The name "Holy's" goes like this...
          That's the only frozen apple pie that I'll eat. Used to get it at Times or Star markets then, poof, no more for several years. Found them again at Star in Mililani, but the price is now just over $10!

Darned good pie. You can see the shape of all the pats of butter under the top crust. Then when you bake it, the butter comes bubbling up through the "vents".

Agree about St. Germaine's. Never did like their fancy pastries, but then again I always liked the plain jane pastries anyway. The best was that place in Kaimuki next to the Japanese restaurant and I'm having one of those senior moments as I cannot for the life of me remember any names. I do remember they used to sell some of the biggest glazed donuts around.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
            The best was that place in Kaimuki next to the Japanese restaurant and I'm having one of those senior moments as I cannot for the life of me remember any names. I do remember they used to sell some of the biggest glazed donuts around.
            Across Kaimuki library?

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
              The best was that place in Kaimuki next to the Japanese restaurant and I'm having one of those senior moments as I cannot for the life of me remember any names. I do remember they used to sell some of the biggest glazed donuts around.
              Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
              Across Kaimuki library?
              perhaps you two are referring to kimuraya bakery and suzuki restaurant on kokohead ave...which are both now closed?
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Yeah, das da place. Yeah, closed now.

Comment

Aww. Too bad. I like their bread.

Comment

Has anyone here tried the Castella Cake (Japanese Sponge Cake) from Bunmeido of Hawaii?

Also, have you been to the bakery and met Akira San? Apparently it's a one-man show there, and I hear the cake is just incredible. So is the story behind it.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                      Has anyone here tried the Castella Cake (Japanese Sponge Cake) from Bunmeido of Hawaii?
                      My mom buys Castella Cake to take back to a neighbor island when she visits Honolulu. She doesn't like cakes that are too sweet because of the frosting. It's a special kind of sponge cake without frosting. She also purchased those individual pancake with black bean or apple pie fillings at Bunmeido.

Comment

I love Panya Bakery.
                        Also, the bakery in Shirokiya is good too.
                        I think there was an Andersen Bakery on Kuhio in Waikiki that is a Japanese chain too.
                        They are all good

Comment

I like that Japanese bakery at Kahala Mall. I forgot the name.

Comment

Working...
                          X