Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Inspiron Laptop Problem

My girlfriend's Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop is having problems
    connecting the net. She is repeately getting cut off. If she uses her wireless card, she gets cut off. If she uses a hardwire to the NIC, she gets cutoff.

I'm really perplexed on what the problem is. I suspect the wireless card is going bad. Is there way to permanently turn off the wireless card, because I suspect it conflicting when she uses a hardwire.

My mom has a laptop also with a wireless card. She doesn't have a problem accessing the net with the WAP I have in my room.

Her battery is going bad also. Although she just bought a replacement battery. Could be this a power issue too ? The battery is flashing orange in sequence and she only has one hour of battery power.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Dell Inspiron Laptop Problem

There should be a way to disable the radio for the wireless connection but how that is done might vary from computer to computer. As a start check on the system tray to see if an icon exist for the wireless.

When you use the wired connection is the laptop powered by A/C or by batteries?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      There should be a way to disable the radio for the wireless connection but how that is done might vary from computer to computer. As a start check on the system tray to see if an icon exist for the wireless.

When you use the wired connection is the laptop powered by A/C or by batteries?

I tried to disable the wireless card through the network control applet. But it only stays like that if you don't reboot.

I suspect there is a conflict between using the wired/wireless connection. But
      she can't use the wireless because she loses the signal (even if she is nearby
      on the bed). So she tries the hardwire connection, which she loses her connection.

When she tries to repair the connection (she uses XP Home), it says she needs to flush her DNS cache.

Her laptop battery is on the fritz (it got fried by a power surge). So it can hold only a charge for an hour ( She just bought a new battery yesterday).
      So she is stuck using A/C most the time.
      The Kona Blog

Comment

You can try to disable the wireless device from the Device Manager in the System applet in the Control Panel.

Also are their other wireless devices available for you to try?

Comment

You can try to disable the wireless device from the Device Manager in the System applet in the Control Panel.

Also are their other wireless devices available for you to try?

I'm going to try to move WAP to a different location in my room to see if it will help. But the strange thing is my mom has a laptop with a wireless card. She can access the WAP easily from another room with no problem.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

I think moving the WAP to a higher location in my room solved the problem.But I'll be keeping an eye on it.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

i've got an m1330 and find this board full of info, answers, etc.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

if the problem persists, you might consider posting your question there...
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Two things you should try to do:

1) Check your firewall settings and allow your router's IP address to be seen by the computer. To determine if this is the problem go to Windows Security center and temporarily shut off your firewall and reboot. If it logs on and stays on the internet that's your problem.

2) Another thing to try is to look at your protocal settings. Go to Start/My Network Places/Entire Network/View Network Connections. From there you'll see both your LAN and Wireless Network connections icons. Select either and see if the Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) box is checked. If it's not check it and reboot.

The two internet connections shouldn't interfere with each other as matter of fact you can have both running to ensure you have an internet connection if one fails. But typically most internet connections default to this protocal.

But the first is to check your firewall settings. I had that problem setting up my wife's office network where two of five computers would simply lose their network connections. Those two had firewalls applied so when I accessed the router's IP address thru IE I was able to see the router's IP Address. From there I went to each of the two computers and allowed that IP address to be authorized entry to them. Once authorized both computers had stable network connections and could be seen on the office's LAN network.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

For whatever reason under her TCP/IP settings, she had selected static IP
                    address for the NIC. When I selected obtain IP address automatically, it solved
                    her connection problems, as far with the NIC.Her wireless card is still flaky though.The strange thing is my moms laptop can access the same wireless router with no problem.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Going static is only when you want some sort of security over your network where getting in would be difficult. Corporate or business networks typically will use Static over DHCP. DHCP will set the IP address automatically.

As for your girlfriend's flaky wifi adapter, it wouldn't happen to be a Belkin would it? If it is use Windows to set up the adapter. For some reason or other I've never had any good results using Belkin's setup utility when networking computers.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        As for your girlfriend's flaky wifi adapter, it wouldn't happen to be a Belkin would it? If it is use Windows to set up the adapter. For some reason or other I've never had any good results using Belkin's setup utility when networking computers.
                        Yup its a Belkin wireless router. I bought it cheap too at Wally World . It works
                        fine with my mom's Dell Inspiron laptop. But for whatever reason, it doesn't work right with my girlfriend's older Dell Inspiron.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Did you place your girlfriend's laptop in the room that your mom uses? Did you also place your mom's laptop in the room that your girlfriend uses?

Or move your girlfriend's laptop to some other place around the house?

Comment

Did you place your girlfriend's laptop in the room that your mom uses? Did you also place your mom's laptop in the room that your girlfriend uses?

Or move your girlfriend's laptop to some other place around the house?
                            I did move the WAP to higher location in my room. It didn't help. I'm not sure moving around where she uses the laptop will help that much. As long as I got
                            the hardwire part working correctly (which it seems like) thats all that matters.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

The wireless router is not what I'm talking about, it's your wifi adapter. Or does the laptop have built in Wifi through a mini PCI card inside the laptop itself. Belkin Wifi adapters have always given me problems, I typically use Netgear. I can have two computers side by side 40-feet away outside in my patio both downloading MS updates with no issues, but replace one with a Belkin wifi adapter and suddenly the connection drops. The only way to re-establish connection is to turn off the router and restart it.

I thought it was the router but despite using Netgear, D-Link, Linsys or even Trendnet wireless routers, I would get connection issues. I thought it was the drivers so I went to Belkin's website and downloaded the latest driver support for both the wifi adapter and the router with no luck. I just think Belkin makes lousy wifi adapters.

Comment

Working...
                              X