Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Tube
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 17th, 2017, 02:15 PM
Kumu

Default Two unusual streamers.

I'm starting to explore Internet streaming TV, and I stumbled across a couple of interesting things you might not have noticed yet. (1) Netflix' serial "Grace and Frankie" (Netflix costs me $12/month); (2) the Full Moon channel on Amazon video (costs $6.99/month).

Grace and Frankie is a situation comedy about two wives whose gay husbands decide to divorce them and get married to each other. My wife likes it a lot -- I'm lukewarm. It has a very strong cast: Jane Fonda, Martin Sheen, Lily Tomlin, Sam Waterston. There are 3 seasons available and a 4th season begins in 2018. Here's an interview with the stars playing Grace & Frankie: http://people.com/tv/jane-fonda-lily...grace-frankie/.

Full Moon is a collection of old low budget horror and exploitation flicks: https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=atv_acq...8011&welcome=1.
Old September 18th, 2017, 12:45 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener
Default Re: Two unusual streamers.

Does Grace and Frankie take advantage of not being traditionally broadcast, doing whatever it wants in the way of language, violence, and nudity? Just curious. It's interesting to me how some of these streaming-only sitcoms (like the new One Day at a Time) still structure themselves the way actual TV shows do, seeming to follow the same rules even though the rules don't really apply.
Old September 18th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Kumu

Default Re: Two unusual streamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
Does Grace and Frankie take advantage of not being traditionally broadcast, doing whatever it wants in the way of language, violence, and nudity?
There's no violence or nudity. There are plenty of 4 letter words. There are many references to drug culture -- that's where the Frankie character is coming from -- and on screen marijuana smoking. Grace is pretty straightlaced. (I don't know much about contemporary TV sitcoms, to compare.)