Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 7

Originally posted by helen View Post
    One thing I am looking out for is the Hyperterm application...
    Originally posted by zff View Post
    Yeah, Hyperterm's not there anymore. There are free alternatives out there you can download and use. I use PuTTY.
    It's been so long since I've used Hyperterm that I can't even remember what I used to use it for. Dialing into a VAX? A BBS?

What do you guys use a terminal emulator for?

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    I just got through running the test and found that most of my software will have "issues". My main concern was the M/S Office 2003 Pro package that I have. It says I need to get another service pack for it which is an easy fix but some of my other stuff is just not gonna work.
    My reason for the question is that I'm hoping to buy a laptop after Xmas, which will probably have Win 7 installed on it. Since my current budget will not allow for all new software, I may have some problems but nothing that can't be worked through somehow.
    Thanks again!
    You're welcome.

When we bought our new desktop, we downloaded OpenOffice. It reads all of our old Office documents with no problem and saves them in whatever format we want.

Haven't missed Windows Office a bit, although one Excel spreadsheet's labeled graph needs some tweaking. Unless you're a real Windows Power user you're probably going to find everything you need in OO. http://www.openoffice.org/

And then there's the whole wonderful world of free Google applications...
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

State of Hawaii Library system used the VAX system. I'm hoping they upgraded their online indexing system.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
        It's been so long since I've used Hyperterm that I can't even remember what I used to use it for. Dialing into a VAX? A BBS?

I don't know what a typical user might need it for, but I use it to console in to all kinds of network devices (routers, switches, etc.) and the occassional SPARC.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
          For me it would to connect to something like this. Another feature of Hyperterm is that you can set it up such that any data coming from a serial port (be it from a DB9/RS-232 port or a USB COM port) can be placed in a file. It makes it useful to do data analysis later on.

Comment

Been using Windows 7 Professional at work since January 2011. For home use I picked up a new laptop this week and this system runs Windows 7 Home Premium.

Comment

I have been using W7 for over 6 months now on two different machines. I am VERY happy with it. It is much better than Vista. Upgrading was worth the price. I bought an Upgrade on Ebay for $49. It worked without a hitch. It integrated evetrything automatically. Took about 30 minutes to install, mostly on its own.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I've been using Windows 7 Ultimate version on my laptop for over a year now and I'm very happy with it. I just wish I could have it at work also.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I use both Windows 7 and XP. It's too bad though that older machines that can run 2Gb of RAM can't run Win7. I would love to see MS make an OS that is compatible with older machines still running x86 32-bit mode. XP seems to be the last resort for most of those. Some can run Win7 but others can't. Hit or miss.

Comment

So what specifically do you guys like about Win 7?
                    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Fairly easy to navigate, backwards compatible to most XP-based software. Vista had compatibility issues with driver support on peripherals as well. Cleaner interface than XP allows easier network interfacing.

Comment

yeah - what Craig says.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Isn't Windows 8 about to come out? Like in 2012 or so?

Comment

Haven't beta tested W8 yet but so far W7 is looking really nice and I just hope W8 doesn't do too much to destroy what W7 fixed over Vista.

Comment

I personally love Windows 7 for almost everything. In my company I have come across only one or two programs with 'issues' and most were the Vendors not updating code to be more compliant with the W7 wrapper (the way it all looks different now with the semi-transparent toolbars and such). if you are having problems with performance on it, turn off aero and it will fly.
                              MyTechsHawaii.com -Kaneohe Computer Repair | Wabashky.com Web Design, logo design, Managed IT

Comment

Working...
                              X