Indian Tech Support IDIOTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Indian Tech Support IDIOTS

...so i guess the consensus of opinions on this thread is that speaking american accented english does not always confer better computer/reading/listening/cultural/overall literacy than someone who speaks a differently-accented english?

in fact, someone who speaks (or presumably speaks--since we are merely reading, not hearing) american accented english while making blanket, derogatory statements about the lack of computer/reading/listening/cultural/ overall literacy of a complete ethnic group is demonstrating his/her own complete lack of computer/reading/listening/cultural/overall literacy?

is that our consensus?
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
      ...is that our consensus?
      You want consensus? On HT? Shine on, you crazy diamond.

But I note that Marguerite hasn't been back to post here (or the other website I regularly see her) for a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        You want consensus? On HT? Shine on, you crazy diamond.
        hey, consensus is completely achievable on HT, particularly when i ignore the opinions i find disagreeable! *sticks tongue*
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
          hey, consensus is completely achievable on HT, particularly when i ignore the opinions i find disagreeable! *sticks tongue*
          That was Great! And how I do it.

All I can say is that I've been helped when needed, more often than not.
          Even if it took longer than I figured it should.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
            Weird thread. Microsoft is an American company and they made the problem. Blame the "foreign" workers who's trying to help you. Oh well.

Tech support in the US has a lot of similar problems. I don't think the problems at Dell will improve any if they switched back to support hosted in the US.
            Indeed.

I don't think it's just the pay issue that's driving these over-the-phone tech support services overseas. I wouldn't be surprised if companies like Dell couldn't find enough Americans who are both qualified and patient enough to deal with all the idiot customers who call in to rant and rage at them.

Easy for folks in the US with computer skills to quit and find other jobs once they get tired and fed up with having to deal with stupid and/or verbally abusive customers over the phone. Maybe the techies in India don't have as many options available to them, so they have no choice but to stick to these tech support jobs and to learn patience.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Everyone knows the best way for a techie to fix a problem - it starts with "MOVE OVER...". That is to say, the problem is best solved in person because most people have no idea as to what is likely the real problem (their inert/malicious bulk sitting in front of the machinery).
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Called HP support yesterday, support is outsourced to a place I'm not sure of but the accent of the the technician could have been of Middle Eastern decent. Excellent, quick and efficient. So efficient, today he sent me an email with troubleshoot manuals that he thought I should have just in case.
                ___
                "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  Maybe the techies in India don't have as many options available to them, so they have no choice but to stick to these tech support jobs and to learn patience.
                  Reminds me of a movie I saw at HIFF a couple of years back:

John and Jane Toll Free

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                    Everyone knows the best way for a techie to fix a problem - it starts with "MOVE OVER...". That is to say, the problem is best solved in person because most people have no idea as to what is likely the real problem (their inert/malicious bulk sitting in front of the machinery).

More like "MOOOOVVVE!!!!"

*type keyboard* *click mouse*

Okay. Done. Don't load this type of stupid software any more. Bye.

Comment

I don't think the problem is with anyone accent's or lack of it. The real problem I think is now a days computing is so much a visual medium it is very hard to describe over the phone what's going on.

People tend to just say the error message and but not saying in what context that error message came from.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        I don't think the problem is with anyone accent's or lack of it. The real problem I think is now a days computing is so much a visual medium it is very hard to describe over the phone what's going on.

People tend to just say the error message and but not saying in what context that error message came from.
                        you may be right about this, helen.

eric and i know someone who works in geek squad at best buy. "jeff" tells us that so many people come in with an oversimplified statement as to what is wrong with their computer, not realizing that the more specific they are, the more likely the person working on their machine can replicate their problem, and therefore fix it.

the other big complaint jeff has is something eric pointed out before: for some reason, scores of people think it's okay to call geek squad and ask for free advice on how to fix their computer. when jeff politely tells them he cannot help them over the phone--he's looking at a line of ten customers standing in front of him, he explains-- and asks them to bring their machine in or to call 1-800-geeksquad for over-the-phone-support at a certain price per minute, it's not unusual for the customer to start screaming expletives at him.

as eric said in post #24,--you don't go to a mechanic, expecting him to tell you how to bleed your brakes for free. i've worked in law firms and no attorney has ever said that a potential client ever asked her how to go about conducting the discovery stage of a case, for example. i used to be a lex brodie girl; never did anyone call to speak to one of our guys to ask how to change their own oil or how to change tires.

maybe it's because most of us can do things like install software, run antivirus programs, change certain settings. but most of us can drive cars; but just because we know how to drive and put in gas, oil, and wiper fluid doesn't mean we think we can call an auto shop up, tell the person on the phone that when we flip the switch, the ac doesn't blow cold--how do we fix that? so why do so many think it's okay to call a geek squad or supergeeks, say, "when i click on internet explorer, nothing happens. how do i fix that?"

anyone have some thoughts as to why this may be?

Comment

Oh man, the best oversimplified question I get too often is, "My computer won't boot up?"

Booting up and turning on are two different things and most likely it does boot up but it just doesn't get to the desktop.

Or someone will tell me, "My CPU fried can you fix it?" No but I can fix your computer.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                          X