This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

Despite Lehman's comments, the Army does not or should I say did not, have plans to use the Superferry as a means of transport for the Strykers.

Craig, I'm on your side.

As an aside, the Army's draft EIS on stationing the 2/25 Stryker Brigade Combat Team in Hawai'i is still under review, although unfortunately, the EIS process is a mere formality.
    Last edited by Keanu; October 9, 2007, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Kittrick: " I don't understand why the Superferry people didn't bother to do the EIS for all islands it was going to ahead of the boats arrival or when they were being built or even before that. ...

The bottom line is that there was plenty of time for all of the items to be addressed before they were going to start, and in the end the Lingle Administration and the DOT cut the red tape for the things that should have already been addressed/fixed/complete and green lighted the project anyway. We are all going to eat the bill for this blunder."

Superferry did not want to do either an EA or EIS because they knew that opposition would build against their enterprise and above all they wanted the federally guaranteed loan. The Lehman corporate gangsters have likely not yet spent one dime of their own monies. They hedge their bets from so many angles they never loose money; at worst they only make less money than they thought they would. Lehman has been in this kind of business for more than thirty years. He not only knows the ropes, he effectively owns a fair percentage of them, just as he owns Lingle and some Hawaii State legislators.

As for "eating the bill' for another round of corporate welfare fraud and political corruption: that's how America has been and is built. We are eating and we're going to eat the bill for this nefarious project anyway, thanks to Lingle, but we don't have to eat the creature Lingle has thrown onto our plates.
      Last edited by craig foo; October 9, 2007, 04:00 PM.

Comment

What irritates me is the fact that the State Legislature will convene a special session to save the Superferry. No law should be amended for the benefit of a single business. The Legislature as a whole lacks the fortitude to pass substantive legislation during the regular session but they have the politcal will do do this?
        Last edited by Keanu; October 9, 2007, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Hah hah. Gottstu juss laugh at this one. These frauds have done it again for Hawaii.

Must be the only island state, nation, city who actively works to elliminate just one alternative to an interstate travel airplane monopoly.

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
          What irritates me is the fact that the State Legislature will convene a special session to save the Superferry. The Legislature as a whole lacks the fortitude to pass substantive legislation during the regular session but they have the politcal will do do this?
          Yes they will because they know the state should have an alternative interstate travel option and because they already spent millions on the harbors.

So I think they will overrule this decision.

Comment

What irritates me is the fact that the State Legislature will convene a special session to save the Superferry. No law should be amended for the benefit of a single business.
            Ain't that just like them!

They could piddle away 30 years while H-3 was under construction, but now they consider it criticle to remedy the superferry issue in special session?

It reminds me of the time the legislature spent $1 million to "study" the aloha spirit ('94 session I think).

I would have loved to have been on THAT research team.

"OH, Look! There it is, over there."

"No, wait! it moved.
            There it is. Quick, go catch it!"

Oyi! What a joke.

Lucky you live Hawaii, eh!

Comment

Originally posted by craig foo View Post
              The Lehman corporate gangsters have likely not yet spent one dime of their own monies.
              Based on this link, the Lehman group came up with $71 million in equity financing and got the $140 million federally-guaranteed loan from ABN-Amro Bank. Then the $40 million loan from the state.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/10/29/b...s/story02.html

Comment

Keanu: " What irritates me is the fact that the State Legislature will convene a special session to save the Superferry. The Legislature as a whole lacks the fortitude to pass substantive legislation during the regular session but they have the political will do do this? "

I just hope that during the past month enough Hawaii state legislators have been able to acquire a more appreciative understanding of how consequential Oahu's outer islanders believe this Superferry invasion is to their quality of life. Legislators are in a position to acquire such appreciation where many of the citizens in their districts are not in such a position.

Lingle, her administration, JF Lehman corporate gangsters and perhaps a handful or more of state legislators (where's U.S. Senator Inouye on this? he should be righting some wrongs pronto!, unless he wants to share in Lingle's legacy) created this crappy situation that has set so many Oahu residents against their neighbors.

A legislative special session may be just the opporitunity to bring out the truth about the Lingle administration's shenanigans, if not outright criminality, in this whole affair. We should demand to know exactly how far JF Lehman et al. have been able to breach the public's trust of our elected officials.

Comment

What irritates me is the fact that the State Legislature will convene a special session to save the Superferry. The Legislature as a whole lacks the fortitude to pass substantive legislation during the regular session but they have the politcal will do do this?
                  They have the political will to do what the majority of their constituents want done, if it means their heads in the next election.
                  Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                    They have the political will to do what the majority of their constituents want done, if it means their heads in the next election.
                    Did each legislator poll their contituency to get their sentiments on the matter?

There are three types of constituents
                    1) Those that passionately support an issue
                    2) Those that passionately oppose an issue
                    3) Those that don't care either way

I'd say that the majority of voters within a legislator's district, on Oahu anyway, don't care either way.
                    Last edited by Keanu; October 9, 2007, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craig foo View Post
                      I just hope that during the past month enough Hawaii state legislators have been able to acquire a more appreciative understanding of how consequential Oahu's outer islanders believe this Superferry invasion is to their quality of life.
                      Invasion? Where were you guyz in the 50s 60s and 70s when the Plantation Asian Democrats where running hui after hui in order to sell every last bit of beach front land to invaders who build hotels? Once in a while, at the end of the development boom, there were some protests. Except for Molokai, they mostly lost. Read Land and Power in Hawaii.

Now one little boat shows up. And it expects to dock and then LEAVE and it expects to PICK UP as many people and cars as it drops off and yet it is the devil to Hawaii and the environment.

You guys are 30 years too late for protecting Hawaii. It's already been destroyed by the Plantation Democrats.

Comment

Despite Lehman's comments, the Army does not or should I say did not, have plans to use the Superferry as a means of transport for the Strykers.

Craig, I'm on your side.

As an aside, the Army's draft EIS on stationing the 2/25 Stryker Brigade Combat Team in Hawai'i is still under review, although unfortunately, the EIS process is a mere formality.
                        An officer in charge of provisioning for the Army made a statement a couple of weeks ago to the Advertiser that even though HSF was not currently in its plans, that wouldn't necessarily prevent the management from submitting a bid to ferry military personnel and equipment if HSF turned out to be available:

The Army's manager for the Stryker brigade said last night there are no plans to move the combat vehicles between O'ahu and the Big Island on Hawaii Superferry but said the Army could consider the ferry as a commercial contractor in the future.

Ron Borne, transformation manager for U.S. Army Garrison, Hawai'i, said combat vehicles would be moved from O'ahu to the Big Island for training primarily on military transport vessels or commercial barges such as Young Brothers. He said the Superferry could conceivably bid for such work if it becomes available but is not now part of the Stryker brigade operations
                        Miulang

What irritates me is the fact that the State Legislature will convene a special session to save the Superferry. No law should be amended for the benefit of a single business. The Legislature as a whole lacks the fortitude to pass substantive legislation during the regular session but they have the politcal will do do this?
                        No, the more irritating part is having the Legislature pass something that could have been passed during the regular session had it not been for Uncle Joe allowing the bill to die in the House Transportation Subcommittee. The Senate did its job and passed legislation that would have allowed HSF to sail while the EA was being done, but Uncle Joe thought it was "unfair" that one private company should be put under this special scrutiny. Heh. Guess what will happen during the Special Session?

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

joshuatree: "Based on this link, the Lehman group came up with $71 million in equity financing and got the $140 million federally-guaranteed loan from ABN-Amro Bank. Then the $40 million loan from the state. http://starbulletin.com/2005/10/29/b...s/story02.html "

equity financing
                          Definition
                          Financing by selling common stock or preferred stock to investors.

I wonder if such stock was sold under an Hawaii Superferry, Inc. banner? I wonder who bought it and with funding from where? With JF Lehman being a private equity cabal like the Carlyle Group I could wonder such thoughts until the Sun goes out.

Thanks for the link joshuatree. It's approaching the second anniversary of the article and it does shed a great deal of light on the false assumptions of many pro-ferryites about many of us opposed to Superferry. We did not just recently come to our position of opposition. The Superferry pushers have known for a very long time that they were pushing something onto a lot of citizens who would oppose their Superferry scheme.

' With financing secured, the company still faces legal challenges mounted by environmental groups that have filed two lawsuits.
                          Opponents of the service point to concerns over possible effects on migrating whales, conflicts with other harbor users and the transmission of invasive species.
                          Under a memorandum of agreement signed in September, the company said it would pay the state at least $2.3 million per year for the first three years of operation.
                          The state would receive $2 per passenger, $4 per private vehicle and $20 per commercial vehicle. However, John Garibaldi, chief executive of Hawaii Superferry, has said based on passenger projections, the company expects to pay much more than $2.3 million every year. Saturday, Oct. 29, 2005 '

So the State plans to collect the "user fee" monies from Superferry and Honolulu's neighbor counties get the use, get the shaft. No wonder all of Hawaii's non-Honolulu county governments have to tax to death their property owners...it's the only revenue source such counties are permitted!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            No, the more irritating part is having the Legislature pass something that could have been passed during the regular session had it not been for Uncle Joe allowing the bill to die in the House Transportation Subcommittee.

Miulang

I wish I could say more about this but I can't.

Comment

Here's an August, 2007 story about who the shareholders in HSF are:

Its financial backers have invested about $300 million, including $140 million in bonds that the company issued in April 2006.

...Hawaii Superferry's largest investor, J.F. Lehman, has invested more than $1.6 billion in companies in the defense, aerospace, maritime and other related industries.

The investment firm is headed by former Secretary of the U.S. Navy John Lehman, who also serves as chairman of the Superferry.

J.F. Lehman acquired a controlling share in Hawaii Superferry in October 2005 when it invested $80 million in the local company.

State Farm Life Insurance Co. is the company's largest bondholder with a 33 percent stake, according to Bloomberg data. Other bondholders include Raleigh, N.C.-based Stonewood Insurance Co., which owns less than 1 percent of the bonds.

Hawaii Superferry's minority shareholders include Maui Land & Pineapple Co. and Kaua'i-based Grove Farm Co. Executives with local retail developer the MacNaughton Group also are minority shareholders.
                              MLP and Grove Farm both invested $500,000 apiece (actually, MLP invested $1 million, but sold half the obligation to Grove Farm).

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Another concerning aspect of Judge Cardoza voiding that agreement is possibility that this may open the door for lawsuits against the State of Hawaii. According to John Van Dyke’s opinion here,the state carefully negotiated an agreement that protected them from liability. But now since that agreement has been voided,in my layman’s opinion, it exposes the state of Hawaii to some major lawsuits from HSF and their investors.

http://www.tdn.com/articles/2007/09/...ews/news07.txt
                                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X