Honolulu Advertiser Changes are Near

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Honolulu Advertiser Changes are Near

Is the Family Circus comic strip still running? Haven't seen it lately in the Advertiser.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

It's in the daily paper but I haven't seen it in the Sunday paper for quite sometime. I also noticed that Non Sequitur is not in color.

Comment

I have noticed the Advertiser has begun running its daily strips in color. Of course, the Bulletin has, too. If only the Bulletin could make them less blurry.

Comment

Originally posted by BKHale2007
          If only the Bulletin could make them less blurry.
          True that. Bulletin and Midweek still have registration anomalies that somehow (frequently) still make it out for circulation. Certainly more often than Advertiser.

Star Bulletin subscriber. ~_/\
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by BKHale2007
            If only the Bulletin could make them less blurry.
            Ah good, for a while I thought my eyesight was going bad.

Comment

Well, the Honolulu Advertiser has settled into its new groove... what do you think of the new look, and new format?

I didn't relialize that the new page size was actually smaller than the formerly smaller tabloid page used by the Star-Bulletin. It's only an inch or two of difference, but you feel it in your hands. As for the look, I'm no fontographer, but I don't know if they went in the right direction. I feel as if the readability of heads in particular went down, not up. The way they do their bylines (bold, sans-serif, all caps) is distracting, and the bizzare use of "pipe" lines in things like photo credits (where it looks at a glance to be an extra "I") is awkward.

The color is definitely better, and sharper, and up against the smudgy look you get with the Star-Bulletin on its off days, it's certainly a prettier (if busier, USA Today-ier) pub at a glance.

Ian Lind's entry for today brings a comment from within the Star-Bulletin conceding the press race, but pointing at their special football insert today as evidence of how talent makes the real difference. "Press output is only as good as its input."

Congrats to Rich Walker (our Dick) for some impressive photography!

Comment

Thanks pzarquon. The best part was, we had fun making it. It's nice when "work" is fun.

Comment

Working...
                X