Alternatives to Ryan's and Brew Moon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to Ryan's and Brew Moon?

Where do you guys go on weekends that's not Ryan's or Brew Moon? I like those restaurants, but variety is a good thing.

I like Formaggio in Market City near Kaimuki High, Tokkuri-tei on Kapahulu and Yanagi Sushi (late night menu makes this affordable). Sometimes we go to Cheesecake Factory and Don Tiki's.

Other ideas?

Re: Alternatives to Ryan's and Brew Moon?

"Where do you guys go on weekends that's not Ryan's or Brew Moon?"

I like Ryan's, a wonderful selection of beer there, although it is a bit expensive for my old-aged-pensioner budget. I don't like Brew Moon at all, neither their beer nor their atmosphere.

Why not Gordon Biersch?

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
      Where do you guys go on weekends that's not Ryan's or Brew Moon?
      Ryan's is good.

Brew Moon is good. nice people, owner is cool.
      great entertainment lineup.

Bluwater cafe, a new regular stop.
      Chachacha salseria.
      Da Shack.
      (stand between da 3 and decide, depending on yer mood.)

Kona brewing.
      Good beer, good people, BUT...
      we have to wait looong time for kaukau.
      Once, a full hour, i no joke you.
      The people behind us, even complained; saying among themselves;
      "It took a full hour for our food!"
      I turned in surprise and they confirmed it.

Gordon Biersch is a regular stop.

kaponos on Wed and fri.
      Dukes on sunday.
      magoos for cheap quick eats and brews.

Buzzes kailua.
      Fast healthy custom sammitches at our fave market for 40 years; Kalapawai in kailua.
      Compadres. esp Taco Tuesdays.
      (walrus still on the subject of may ksee con fud, try that lil place back kaukau side of International market place if and when you go Waikiki side.)

Tsukenjo's wagon. on ward.

fas kine; ward warehouse, the old one ward/auahi st.
      a line of em;
      L&L and the others. Buy drink at the liquor warehouse a few yards away, buy book in native books, get plate lunch and N.joy.
      Last edited by kimo55; August 12, 2004, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Are you talking about Ryan's and Brew Moon as restaurants, or as places to unwind with a little drink and some good pupus? If the latter, I'd suggest the King Street Cafe, at the corner of King and Keeaumoku. Clean, spacious, good pupus, and friendly staff.

The Star-Bulletin's Barfly recently reviewed a place on Queen Street that sounds really promising, too. If you check it out, let us know what you think.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          The Star-Bulletin's Barfly recently reviewed a place

sometimes I just dont get these reviews
          Whats with the standard query;
          How much for a bud lite?

huh!?
          as if thats the only thing people drink.
          how bout this:
          many people just don't care what a bud lite costs.
          And if they did?
          well, if the cost of a bud lite is a major concern of yours, stay home and save yer nickels.
          how bout a middle of the road beer or a heiney?
          thats a much better barometre of the pricing.
          but Budweiper; beer flavored water shouldn't be brought up in a bar review.
          at least not so often.
          and that other question;
          "get things to do?"
          you want distractions, games diversions? go to davenbusters.

what happened to talk story with yer friends at da bar? or other clientele ?
          Last edited by kimo55; August 12, 2004, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            Whats with the standard query;
            How much for a bud lite?
            I myself would never raise a bottle of Bud Light ("canoe beer" because it's pretty close to water) to my own lips, but it's what a lot of people drink. For a Heinie or a Guinness, you can pretty much tell from the Bud Light price what the ballpark is. Plus, for comparison's sake, the Bud Light question works fine. If the weekly question were "How much for a Sam Adams?" or "How much for a Newcastle" (my personal current preference), the answer would be, quite often, "Not applicable."

Originally posted by continued
            "get things to do?"
            I think this is a fair question, too. When I hit places like this, yeah, I just want to talk story with my friends, but some people want to know this, and it's not a bad question. To his credit, The Barfly does a pretty good job of giving me an idea if it's a good sit-around-and-chat place.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

"Boyds!"

"What? You say it went under when the Alexander Young Hotel was demolished? Gee, I should get out more."
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

The Hob Nobb Restaurant on the corner of Hotel and Bishop was demolished when the AYB was destroyed.

I have fond memories of that building.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

"get things to do?"

"I think this is a fair question, too."

well, myopia strikes me ocasionally, so i will elaborate:
                  I have absolutely no use for darts especially since they turned into noisemaking electronic fake dart toy things. No real darts anymore. No real dart boards. (boy i yearn for the old days)
                  karaoke leaves me cold. frozen in fact; it proliferates the landscape to such a degree, if you need a column in the paper to tell you where to find karaoke, well ya don't get out much.

TV; that's not 'something to do. Not a reason to go to a bar UNLESS you need to catch the latest game. It's an occasional diversion while you are talking with friends.
                  and why no section in the bar Fly after 'and the help?" that inquires as to the decor, motif, furnishings, comfort of the seating, etc.?

Magoo's:
                  open air very casual university joint. ALL ages welcome, all ages populate. hence lotta innuresting characters.
                  magoo's started many years ago on kalakaua where that moped rental shop is in that i think art deco bldg with SOFOS bldg top front.
                  Used to hang there hippie days early 70;'s back before the state and C&C ruined Waikiki.
                  They expanded in Puck's Alley taking over Mama Mias and are growing alla time now.

How much is a budweiper lite?
                  water is free.
                  as fer the rest:
                  Most beers are a buck. cant beat it.
                  then they go up incrementally in price qwatah at a time depending on the qualtity. and name brand.
                  But hell; a buk for steinee or fosters? (Canadian for beer, now that it's owned by Molsons.)
                  c'mon. at these prices, who cares what get to do?!

What about the grinds?
                  great pizza, subs, salads.
                  all at reasonable prices.

and the help?
                  You need help drinkin a dollar beer? I will help!
                  There. Ya got sumpin ta do. Drink with a friend.
                  Oh, you mean the employees?
                  for the most part, friendly. sometimes snippy. Very regular barflys get attention sooner than maybe someone waiting longer or closer to the barkeep.
                  Would like to see each tip appreciated, rather than ignored or meet with a blank look as if, yeaa buddy; you know ya oughta pay $1.75 anyway for the dollar beer.
                  Just a simple 't'aaanks, eh!" after each tip esp. when it's at or more than 50% of the cost. Seems sometimes customers thank them for pouring the beer more often than the 'help" thanks them for the freeeeee mun eeee!
                  and I would like to see the hired help puff away on stinksticks a little less often. We get too much of that by the surrounding patrons.
                  And if that dude behind the bar can please refrain from spitting into a bucket on the floor by the beer tap handles I would really love it. Really. no, I'm not kidding! I really would appreciate it!

Get good kine decor?

Open air casual big lanai populated with beer signage, misc alchochol advertising accoutrements, BIIIG 6 or 8 screen tv, CD jukebox, tons of tables all basically colorfully surfaced with each one looking different from the other. Chairs: either those white tupperware $1.89 kmart throwaways suited for any human under 120 lbs, and gold tone metal chairs whose metal-arch back hasn't been equipped with a pad since that sad day Hawaii became a state.
                  but comfy nonetheless. We prefer the taller tables with soft naugahyde barstools.

Get odda things to do?
                  je' like ALLLL other bars round these parts, 'cept the upscale variety: those insipid megatouch machines. See people for ever, unmoving, for half hour or more pumping their money into them. If I owned a bar, that spot would be taken up by another rattan barstool and another human being. Who hopefully will want to add something to the conversation.
                  Poolltables I like. It's communal. Interactive and analog. ha. But when a column has a section; 'get things to do?" and if there maybe only one pool table; the implication is the bar is substandard. since it "get nahteeng to do!"

whew! And, I'm spent!
                  Last edited by kimo55; August 12, 2004, 07:42 PM. Reason: addendum

Comment

Does light beer really help people not to get fat? why not just drink two Kirin beer on an empty stomach and actually not be hungry? Those delicious things are a meal, themselves. (G) I haven't indulged in one since the mid-eighties. Anybody on this island sell it?
                    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen
                      Does light beer really help people not to get fat? why not just drink two Kirin beer on an empty stomach and actually not be hungry? Those delicious things are a meal, themselves. (G) I haven't indulged in one since the mid-eighties. Anybody on this island sell it?

yep people here still selllll;

Kirin Beer, the perfect ideeer,
                      The perfect ideer.
                      da Buh BumBumBum Bump!

Ho da chills. can remember that from late sixties or early 70's.

To attempt to answer your question;
                      the ONLY thing that can "really help people not to get fat"
                      as far as beer goes, is of course;
                      stay da heck away from it.
                      and ya need actual solid food to actually "not be hungry"
                      Drinking beer on an empty tummy just makes ya two things in addition to incrementally just a little more on the thicker side:
                      woozy-boozy, (cuz ya don wanna put alcohol in yer system on an empty tumtum, I don care who ya are. )
                      and two:
                      makes ya wanna fwow up.
                      (hey;maybe that's how we can lose weight!)
                      Last edited by kimo55; August 12, 2004, 05:46 PM.

Comment

'Cuz it's Kirin
                        When you're beerin'
                        Kirin
                        The great beer of Japan

Gunfunnit, how come I can remember all these old jingles from years ago, but I forget what I was supposed to buy at the grocery store today?

Beer is about 100 to 150 calories per bottle. Light beer, about half that.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                          'Cuz it's Kirin
                          When you're beerin'
                          Kirin
                          The great beer of Japan

Gunfunnit, how come I can remember all these old jingles from years ago, but I forget what I was supposed to buy at the grocery store today?
                          If you figure out how to do a selective memory dump, please let me know. I've got more trivia in my head than I can shake a stick at.

As to Kirin, there was a vending machine right around the corner from my apartment in Yokosuka which sold the stuff by the can for a couple of hundred yen. If I ran out of (wait for it) Oly in my place I could always find Kirin. (What can I say about my choice of beer? I was young and stupid then!)
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
                          X