UofH Hilo!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UofH Hilo!!

It certainly helps one's social life, love life, and professional life to have wheels in Hilo, but I wouldn't go so far as to say you have an advantage over guys without wheels. I didn't have wheels when I was there, and I had a pretty decent love-life, thank you very much.

The truth is that if you're a jerk, it doesn't matter what you're driving. In Hilo, I learned that your best ally in any social situation is a smile. It's the friendliest place I've ever been. I never had a problem asking someone to check out a flick with me, even if it meant walking. It wasn't the activities that I fell in love with in Hilo; it was the quality of the relationships and the time spent just hanging out. And there are a million ways and places to just hang out.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hey Scrivener! You're "ON" tonight! Cool my friend. Hey wanna go 'caching?
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
        It certainly helps one's social life, love life, and professional life to have wheels in Hilo, but I wouldn't go so far as to say you have an advantage over guys without wheels. I didn't have wheels when I was there, and I had a pretty decent love-life, thank you very much.

The truth is that if you're a jerk, it doesn't matter what you're driving. In Hilo, I learned that your best ally in any social situation is a smile. It's the friendliest place I've ever been. I never had a problem asking someone to check out a flick with me, even if it meant walking. It wasn't the activities that I fell in love with in Hilo; it was the quality of the relationships and the time spent just hanging out. And there are a million ways and places to just hang out.
        Scriv is right there...

The smile works wonders.... It did for me when I transferred High Schools for just about a 4 month period...long before what were talking about now...

The nice smile will get you much further than a car ever will... however...the nice smile backed up by a "wanna get off campus this weekend..." line wins it everytime in Hilo.... speaking from experience.... and you know...i'm ugly!!!!!!!

Maybe I wasn't a jerk... maybe that helped me...

but I'm saying ... as ugly as I am... the car must have helped somewhat!!!!

Manoa

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener

Hey scriv... Just on an open and honest trivial thing on a side note since you always seem to report things as you see it ... and whether I agree or disagree... I always appreciate it...

didn't you ever think at one time or another when you were there... damn... If I only had a car...(I could do this... I could do that...etc)

And keeping to what started this stupid off thread related subject...

to Brandon the starter of this thread...

Brandon... make sure that if your bringing your gf over here....that she also knows what YOU are getting her into.... if you guys are planning on moving here together.... the dorms probably aren't the best option if unless you are getting married....

I posted other subjects related to couples in the dorms... I do not wish to expand on that....

Good luck.... and the best to you ...

Manoa
          Last edited by damontucker; May 15, 2006, 10:05 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=manoasurfer123]but I'm saying ... as ugly as I am...!!!!

I hope you don't truly think you are ugly. Because you're not. But I feel for those that don't fit into "OUR" american idea of acceptable beauty.

We don't get to choose our parents, race or other features... only who we want to be and what we do.
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Manoasurfer...

DORMS! Muahah! man i hope not. Dorms are for freshman and it will be nice to meet a whole bunch of people, but im not sure i could room with another person. Ive done that for two years and it SUCKED! Even though i never lived in a dorm (always an apt. or house) im too compulsive to be cooped up in a tiny room with limited luxuries. Besides, If my gf does come, we can get an apt. somewhere and live like two ka'ma'ainas (sp?)

Butttt, theres always the social scene in the dorms that are legendary!

OH yeah, i was talking to a good friend of mine that lived in Hawaii for years..he said to learn some pigeon (sp?) so i know what im expecting, rather than just "talking stink"

Comment

Here's the great thing about UH Hilo, in my opinion: You have hippies. You have locals. UH Hilo has a staggeringly high proportion of non-traditional students (25 and up, many with kids). You have European exchange students. A way more interesting mix of people than at UH Manoa, in my opinion.

Rent is not cheap anywhere in the state, so maybe do a little research ahead of time. There's "adult" housing off-campus for married people, but there's probably a waiting list at this point. Try and get on it now.

The science programs kick all kinds of ass. UH Hilo is the best science school pretty much anywhere, in my opinion.

I didn't really appreciate Hilo until I left. Now, I miss it like crazy. I think it has something now other place in the islands has, really. You have small-town, local-style life, but you can go downtown and visit an art gallery. You've got hot, sunny beaches, but you have snow on Mauna Kea. The big island is just full of extremes.

My husband (pzarquon) and I try and go back once a year, at least. Yes, it's boring. Yes, it rains all the time. Despite that (or maybe because of it), we want to move back.

Pot use is widespread. If this alarms you, you might want to reconsider.

You can't really learn Pidgin. Pidgin learns you. If you don't speak it now, don't try to just for the sake of fitting in. Locals (kama'aina) might think you're making fun of them. If you hear enough of it around you, it just becomes a habit.

What else...

Anyway, best of luck. I hope you love it there like I did.

Comment

I interviewed for a job at UH Hilo back in 1988, but didn't get it. They wanted someone to pilot and maintain a boat that was going to all the atolls between Hawaii and Midway for the Marine Biology department. Can you imagine a gig like that?

Au we.

Comment

a good friend of mine describes it thusly:

From Kona to Kaua'i it is more similar than different: white sandy beaches, tourists all around you, and you cannot tell if that couple sitting on the next table over in that resturant are fresh off the cruise ship, or born and raised locals.

Hilo is like Moloka'i with infrastructure. It is the last diversified ag-based economy (except with real estate skewering things, but markets do correct themselves). Tourist industry doesn't bode too well on that side of the isle; never did, actually. The population has more in common with itself: taxes, economic diversification, all the working-class issues. The rain and vog keeps the population in check. And having a great university campus lends a brain economy that keeps things happenin' in Hilo.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon007
                      learn some pigeon (sp?) so i know what im expecting, rather than just "talking stink"
                      You can learn what words and phrases mean in pidgin, so you'll understand what some people might be saying, but DO NOT try to imitate what you hear. If you aren't raised with the language, you will (at best) embarass yourself, or (at worst) insult someone to the point of physical retaliation.

Comment

awsome...thanks for all the epic information that im getting. Im really looking forward to coming out there

Comment

There was one thing about the place, at least as far as the staff were concerned. I had a sabbatical in the psychology department in 2003 and whenever I walked down the corridors there, all the staff were sitting on their own in their offices. I never saw them interacting and they didn't have any meeting rooms for just hanging out. At that time I was working at the University of the South Pacific's Fiji campus and most department's had a talanoa (like 'talk story') room. We had some great discussions there - it was sometimes a challenge getting work out of people. UHH seemed so un-Pacifican (if there is such a word) in that respect at least.

Peter F

Comment

Originally posted by kumukulanui
                            There was one thing about the place, at least as far as the staff were concerned. I had a sabbatical in the psychology department in 2003 and whenever I walked down the corridors there, all the staff were sitting on their own in their offices. I never saw them interacting and they didn't have any meeting rooms for just hanging out. At that time I was working at the University of the South Pacific's Fiji campus and most department's had a talanoa (like 'talk story') room. We had some great discussions there - it was sometimes a challenge getting work out of people. UHH seemed so un-Pacifican (if there is such a word) in that respect at least.

Peter F
                            I bet becuase all people want to do is hang out in the sun at the beaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon007
                              I bet becuase all people want to do is hang out in the sun at the beaches.
                              Yo Brandon... if you think your gonna get more sun in Hilo then you do in California...

I think your going to be in for a big shock....!!!

It rains there alot... and I'm not just talking light sprinkles... I'm talking raining cat's and dogs!!!

Manoa

Comment

Brandon, "your" not in for too much of a shock if you've been reading the posts here. Hilo is wet, yes... everything stays damp and smells that way too after a while. But rather than "cat's and dogs," I'd characterize it more of a persistent and moderate rain. Hilo, like Manoa, is known for it (and some UHH dorms are named for it)... though there are the occasional downpours.

Hilo also has a few gorgeous clear blue days. We've been fortunate to catch them often when we visit. It actually feels a little weird!

Besides. It's been well established you've got a car. You can chase the sun all you like. Even the chase can be fun... I made regular runs to Kamuela and Hapuna, and sometimes the drive was the best part!

Comment

Working...
                                X