Pali, Likelike or H-3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pali, Likelike or H-3?

Actually, there is a scenic turnout just outside of KMCAS. So it has been done. The issue might have been the cost, visual impact and environmental impact of adding one up near the tunnels.

I think the real question is what would it take to add one now?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      I think the real question is what would it take to add one now?
      An influential Senator, who's willing to face the flak for adding a pork project in today's economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        An influential Senator, who's willing to face the flak for adding a pork project in today's economy.
        Last I checked, we were doing well in that department (for now).

Comment

Re: H-3 Scenic Point

Great points here made on the reasons/facts why a scenic lookout wasn't included on the windward side of the H-3 near/in Haiku valley.

Also, I'm willing to bet if they were to consider retrofitting one, HPD would protest against it. Not only because of the hazards posed by cars pulling off and on the high speed freeway, but also the problems that will surely arise from activity at the lookout. Oh like say BASE Jumpers, drug and alcohol consumption, and other various crimes. Even if they had surveillance cameras monitoring the lookout(s), it wouldn't be much of a deterrent way up there where it's relatively isolated.

The (only) scenic point located near Kaneohe Marine Base was there ever since the beginning, before H-3 got its main construction started. That strip coming from out of the Marine base and winding around onto Kaneohe Bay drive has been there much earlier than when H-3 finally got its main wheels turning to complete the project.
          Last edited by Pomai; February 28, 2009, 02:42 PM.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            I seem to recall that they intentionally didn't put lookout areas on the H-3.
            Could it have been the Coast Guard station below? I remember they were going to put up shields to protect the motoring public from the RF emissions from the antenna stretched across the valley. With that kind of thinking they certainly would not want to have people linger in the area.
            "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
            Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
              Could it have been the Coast Guard station below? I remember they were going to put up shields to protect the motoring public from the RF emissions from the antenna stretched across the valley. With that kind of thinking they certainly would not want to have people linger in the area.
              Ah, yes, I forgot about the Coast Guard's Omega Station in Haiku valley. I thought part of the deal to finish H-3 was that they were going to close down the Omega Station. Is it still in operation? If so, that would certainly be good reason why it's not a good idea for people to go walking about out there.

Before, when the Stairway to Heaven was open to the public, the Omega Station had a sign-in sheet in the front office at the station, where each person going up the stairway was supposed to sign their name there.

It was a total trip right at the Omega station parking lot, as you could actually here a piercing RF signal changing pitch in the air. Like an amplified CRT TV tube sound, if that's a good way to describe it. There were also warning signs outside the building warning of high voltage. We were told if you were touch the flag pole there with bare feet, you'd receive a 200,000-plus volt electrical shock.. and you'd be TOAST.

My friends and I must have walked up Stairway to Heaven at least ten times while growing up in that area. The vertical sections is some scary stuff!
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

As I recall there was no plan to close the Omaega station but to put up shields. The “danger” from the RF fields was part of the opposition’s arguments against the H-3. The closing of the station was a complete surprise to the designers as I recall.

IIRC they cut the antenna wires with an explosive charge directly above the H-3. Work on the H-3 was stopped for the removal of the wires.
                "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                Ayn Rand

Comment

Rented a car this past weekend so that I can attend an event on the Windward side. I sort of noticed that whenever I was heading to the Windward side I took the Pali Highway, mainly because the enterance to it is closer to home. On the way back it was the Likelike Highway only because the enterance to it was closer from where I left.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    I seem to recall that they intentionally didn't put lookout areas on the H-3.
                    Before the trans-Koolau-Tunnel and the Halawa Valley portion of H-3 was built, plans did include lookout areas. Between K-Bay drive and the exit near the quarry there are lookouts on both sides giving a nice panoramic of K-Bay.
                    I'd love to see one at the higher elevations, because the view of KMCAS and the bay as you exit the tunnel windward is spectacular. Probably deemed too expensive and too dangerous by C&C (the same people who closed Sacred Falls and Stairway to Heaven to avoid possible litigation).

As far as H-3 being 'spooky,' remember that in the construction phase it was decided to BURY an ancient Hawai`i heiau (religious site) under H-3 rather than studying it or destroying it. I think the logic was, "Well, we can always dig it up later when we tear down H-3." The `uhane or unihipili may not be happy.... (pardon me for winging it on the okina, I'm tired.)

Remember Buddy Neller - no good deed goes unpunished.

As far as what route to take: it depends where you're coming from and where you're going. And things change:
                    In the 80's many of those of us working at Bishop Museum and living Windward would deliberately avoid Likelike because it was so seedy back then. We would go out of our way (school street) to take Pali instead. It's been considerably cleaned up, so I base my decisions now on the shortest (fastest) possible trip.

And don't worry about H-3; even though it has a bad reputation for breakdowns, accidents and tire damage, a kahuna was brought in to bless the putative "preservation" of the heiau.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

http://khon2.com/2015/03/18/pali-hig...tarts-in-2016/

Finally, the Pali can be as smooth as the Likelike.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        It was a total trip right at the Omega station parking lot, as you could actually here a piercing RF signal changing pitch in the air. Like an amplified CRT TV tube sound, if that's a good way to describe it. There were also warning signs outside the building warning of high voltage. We were told if you were touch the flag pole there with bare feet, you'd receive a 200,000-plus volt electrical shock.. and you'd be TOAST.
                        Some kids told me that they used to go into the valley at night with fluorescent light tubes, which would subsequently light up from the electrical potential in the air.
                        ~ ~

Comment

Since moving to Waimanalo in 1994, most often I went around Makapu`u, until 2010 when I retired. It's more beautiful and more interesting, speaking of which, I heard a rumor that Robin's Nest (which I pass, going that way) has been purchased by our Pres.
                          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                            Since moving to Waimanalo in 1994, most often I went around Makapu`u, until 2010 when I retired. It's more beautiful and more interesting, speaking of which, I heard a rumor that Robin's Nest (which I pass, going that way) has been purchased by our Pres.
                            WAIMANALO, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) -
                            The house made famous in the "Magnum P.I." TV series has finally sold.

The Waimanalo estate sold for $8.7 million dollars, which was less than half of the original asking price.

After much speculation over who bought the house, it was revealed that the buyer is President Obama's close friend Marty Nesbitt, the chairman of the President's library search committee.

It was originally thought that President Obama bought the house for himself and Nesbitt was the intermediary, but Nesbitt's attorney confirmed that Nesbitt is the buyer.

The three acre "Pahonu" estate was built in the 1930's. It is unclear when Nesbitt will make his first trip to his new home.
                            ~ ~

Comment

http://khon2.com/2015/09/25/wilson-t...-likelike-hwy/

How safe?

Comment

The road in the Wilson tunnel on the Likelike townbound feels bumpy now.

Comment

Working...
                                X