Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which bank to use?

Originally posted by acejoca View Post
    Also I could get a Navy Federal account because my brother was in the Marines but only see they have like two branches so I would like a bank I can stick with that has many branches or at least ATM's.
    I'd reconsider Navy Federal. I do have an account at a local bank, but I don't think it's too long before I move everything into my Navy Federal account. Yes, there are only two locations (one in the Pearl Harbor / Stadium area and one in Kailua), but there are ATMs in some convenient places, and there are Saturday hours. NFCU has only given me excellent service; I've never had a complaint.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      I'd reconsider Navy Federal. I do have an account at a local bank, but I don't think it's too long before I move everything into my Navy Federal account. Yes, there are only two locations (one in the Pearl Harbor / Stadium area and one in Kailua), but there are ATMs in some convenient places, and there are Saturday hours. NFCU has only given me excellent service; I've never had a complaint.

navy fed has a branch in kapolei:
      Kapolei

Kapolei Branch

Kapolei Parkway Shops
      338 Kamokila Blvd, Suite 104
      Kapolei, Hawaii
      Telephone: 1-888-842-6328
      Services at this Location: Branch, ATM (24 Hours), Notary Service Available, Navy Federal Investments & Insurance, Mortgage Counseling.

Lobby Hours:
      Mon-Fri: 8:30 am to 6 pm
      Sat: 8 am to 2 pm

> Map of this location
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Re: Best Banks in Hawaii

I went with NFCU simply because it is the ONLY bank on Oahu, and also the mainland. This made it easy to keep an existing account for a slush fund.

Like stated, the Saturday hours are a bonus.

I use/ed Bank of Hawaii, never had a problem except for the one near work on kalakaua...They seemed to like to close just a little earlier then they posted hours, making a Friday Payday, with a closed bank, a long cashless weekend...if it weren't for NFCU.
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

I have a Hawaii State Credit Union account, mostly for a credit card and signature loans (if I need one). They're pretty good. Territorial Savings has given me excellent service since 1991 when I was a poor student. They had a free checking account with a $25 minimum balance at that time. Minimum now, I think is $100, which is still very low. And, there's lots of bank locations and teller machines to draw cash. Not bad for a medium to small bank. They got my vote!

Till now, I've refused to bank with First Hawaiian because when I was a poor young student with a part-time job, they denied me a first credit card for a measly $500! they couldn't even make me an offer! I've also had to wait over 6 weeks to get a "no" reply. I went overseas to Citibank, which gave me one automatically for $700, no co-signers and no questions asked. A few months later, it went up to $1100, then $5000, then $7,000! (i think many of us went through this route). They gave me a chance and treated me well. My credit rating has always been good since.

I pay most of my bills (over $25,000 in transactions a year) through my credit card. If the bank that says "yes" didn't tell me "no" when I was in college, I'd probably have an account with them.

Comment

The bank that says YES does say NO ...... often. I tried to get away from them twice. First, by going to American Security/First Interstate ...... FHB bought them out. Then, Pioneer Federal .......... FHB bought them out, too! I keep a small account with FHB, a "free" checking account, same as I had with Pioneer.

I have my business checking with Bankoh, but I'll probably be changing. Their fees are considerable. The only saving grace is that they have a supermarket branch nearby, open on weekends and many holidays.

I need a bank that will appreciate me more for the EFT deposits I generate.

Comment

Originally posted by acejoca View Post
              Anyone have suggestions on what is the best bank to sink my money in to? Also I could get a Navy Federal account because my brother was in the Marines but only see they have like two branches so I would like a bank I can stick with that has many branches or at least ATM's. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
              As others have said, NFCU might be worth another look. I've been with NFCU for over 25 years and at banks I've had far more complaints in far less time. Our kid was even able to open an NFCU checking account for her 9th birthday. We've had very competitive CDs with them (including an extra .25% for our 25th year, and last summer a 10-month CD at an APY of 6%), very cheap mortgages (including five hassle-free refinancings), and a no-fee HELOC.

We do all our business over their website or (occasionally) a phone call. We only actually go INSIDE an NFCU branch once every five years or so for a certified check. I've spent far more time inside BOH & FHB and received far less.

The ATMs tend to be where the sailors are, so we make our deposits when we're down by Pearl Harbor or up by Kunia. The Kapolei branch was re-opened at the request of all the Ewa customers who used to use the Barbers Point/Kalealoa branch, so NFCU does listen even if they move slowly.

When we want a withdrawal, they're in a network of many other credit-union ATMs that allow no-fee withdrawals for NFCU customers. For example the Hawaii Schools FCU (in Mililani Town Center) ATM has been dispensing cash on our kid for many years.

The only other place we've found with better CDs is Pentagon Federal Credit Union. Everyone is eligible for membership (even if it's by their one-time $20 donation to a non-profit) and I've never been inside one. Their website & phone service is that good, and their CD rates make me wonder if they're making any money.
              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
                Till now, I've refused to bank with First Hawaiian because when I was a poor young student with a part-time job, they denied me a first credit card for a measly $500! they couldn't even make me an offer! I've also had to wait over 6 weeks to get a "no" reply.
                Yeah, I've had less then great experience with FHB's CC and eventually dropped it. But didn't BOH switch from Visa to American Express? That's not exactly good customer service. On their website I see both, so maybe they had to retreat from that decision.

Comment

Originally posted by BenWoolz View Post
                  The Bank of Hawaii, First Hawaiian, Central Bank of the Pacific, American Savings... any advice on choosing one of these fine, local institutions to handle my family's Banking needs...?
                  Mahalo,
                  Ben
                  ===========================
                  I like Central Pacific Bank because they seem to be all over the place. When CPB acquired City Bank a few years ago, they coverted most all the branches to CPB, therefore increasing their presence to the point where I can stand most anywhere and throw a rock and hit one. I work right in between FHB and BOH and had accounts at both at one time or another, but invariably dropped both of them because the lines were so long at that time it was ridiculous. CPB also has supermarket branches at some Times Supermarkets and Don Quijote Stores, which is tremendously convenient for me.

Comment

I, too, bank with CPB and am very happy with them. I have a CPB check card but not a credit card. I have both personal and business checking and savings accounts. All of my checking accounts are no fee/no minimum balance. I rarely go into a branch choosing, instead, to mail in my deposits. I do lots of transferring of funds and bill payments online. No complaints! Friendly folks, too!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      Yeah, I've had less then great experience with FHB's CC and eventually dropped it. But didn't BOH switch from Visa to American Express? That's not exactly good customer service. On their website I see both, so maybe they had to retreat from that decision.
                      They didn't switch. VISA had not allowed issuers to offer other cards, until they were 'called out' for monopolistic practices.
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                        They didn't switch. VISA had not allowed issuers to offer other cards, until they were 'called out' for monopolistic practices.
                        Perhaps there never was a switch, but I did see some articles from back then that certainly suggested that all the BOH Visa cards would be replaced with AMEX cards and that it had a few people upset.

Comment

I've been with American Savings for 20 years and wouldn't consider changing. They're open 'til 6pm and on Saturdays. There are even a few open Sundays.
                          Checking account is free,ATM's everywhere(Zippy's esp.) If convenience matters,check them out

Comment

My first bank account was with BoH and when they raised the minimum deposit for savings accounts I moved it over to the FHB. When FHB said no to me, I moved my savings over to ASB. Like Palolo lolo, I've been with ASB for a long time and don't have any regrets (yet).

I'm also a strong supporter of credit unions however because of the limitations of branches for Tesoro Credit union I haven't been patronizing them very much. I'm thinking of joining CU Hawaii Credit Union here on the Big Island.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The local banks have fees and lousy interest rates so I use a mainland bank that allows me to use any ATM in the world for free. The way it works is that you get cash, you accept the ATM surcharge, and then when the monthly statement is created, you get a rebate (refund) for all the ATM surcharges that month. I can go to any ATM anywhere anytime.

I have an account at a local credit union, but as others mention they don't have a lot of branches and convenient hours. I like Bank of Hawaii's supermarket branches that stay open late (7pm?), and keep a savings account with them so I have a place to deposit checks and cash. I can then electronically move the money from my local accounts to my mainland checking account.

I don't use them, but I read that Central Pacific Bank has introduced the ATM rebate feature (and free checks) if you have at least $10,000 with them (or if you don't have $10K, but are willing to make 15 check card purchases per month, have direct deposit and billpay with them).

Comment

My first account was a savings and checking account with BOH back in high school working part time; only because there was a branch half a block from where we lived. When I got married, my husband and I opened joint accounts. Since then we dropped the savings, dropped the BOH credit card but kept the checking because its just too much of a hassle to change it, but also because access to the ATMs and the supermarket branches are important to us.

In place of BOH, all our savings and credit card are with various credit unions (State of Hawaii, Honolulu Fire Dept, HMSA). We also have funds in mutual fund accounts which provide a better return than BOH. The banks nickle and dime you to death, but I believe in customer loyalty and as long as they don't royally screw us up, we'll probably continue to keep the checking account. I like their electronic banking.

Comment

Working...
                                X