What Hardware store do you go to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Hardware store do you go to?

No matter which hardware store you go to, it's the employees that make up the atmosphere. Some Home Depots have excellent store managers that care about who they hire and what they do for customers. Others just want an employee to stand out there and look like they care.

If you want good advice check out the older associates. In Plumbing and Electrical, HD typically hires only professionals since you cannot guess what is the right product for a build requiring an inspector's sign off.

A good associate anywhere will seek the customer out rather than the other way around. A good associate will offer to call the customer if a product isn't in stock and when it will arrive. Basically in sales you lead the customer into a sale and provide excellent customer service and follow up.

If a sales associate doesn't care about their profession (sales) they shouldn't be representing the company for which they are selling products for.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But this relic is almost 5 years old.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      A good associate anywhere will seek the customer out rather than the other way around. A good associate will offer to call the customer if a product isn't in stock and when it will arrive. Basically in sales you lead the customer into a sale and provide excellent customer service and follow up.

If a sales associate doesn't care about their profession (sales) they shouldn't be representing the company for which they are selling products for.
      I couldn't have said it better myself.

Customers paying their hard-earned money have every right to expect the standards that are laid out. But conversely, the customers should also keep the following in mind: Don't go out to a store with the intention of picking the brain of a knowledgeable salesperson and getting his expertise...... only to leave that store and buying the same product from a bigbox store or online, just to save a few bucks. That is no way to honor the salesperson's time and effort in helping you. Most kama'ainas are good when it comes to this. But there's a growing number of people who seemingly don't give a rip about this, as my friend (an owner of an independent electronics/appliance store) will attest to.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I'm a little confused here:

The POLL asks where we shop for tools - I answered Sears

The TITLE of the thread is which hardware store we go to - I go to City Mill. Like someone else said - shop local First!
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

i'm on Kauai and live not even a mile from Home Depot, but I prefer Ace. Ace stores here are franchised by a franchise (Ben Franklin Services of Honolulu). Less selection, but the workers are way more knowledgeable and helpful. Never has an Ace cashier told me to go check the price myself if a scan proves "item not on file."
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

As far as buying tools its either Wal-Mart or Home Depot. For toolboxes it seems that Sears is the place to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
              i'm on Kauai and live not even a mile from Home Depot, but I prefer Ace. Ace stores here are franchised by a franchise (Ben Franklin Services of Honolulu). Less selection, but the workers are way more knowledgeable and helpful. Never has an Ace cashier told me to go check the price myself if a scan proves "item not on file."
              Ace is the place as their motto says...however even Ace can have bad reputations.

It doesn't matter if it's a big box or a mom and pop store. If the sales associate doesn't care about their job, they won't get my sale.

Exempting big box retailers doesn't preclude smaller local stores from keeping their monies in this state. If their investment portfolios consist of your standard investment vehicles, not much stays here in Hawaii.

Regarding payroll, whether it's a big box retailer or a small franchise such as a locally owned ACE store, payroll monies stay here. It's what the employee does with it that determines where it goes.

As for selection of goods, like Helen said, Sears has a great selection of tool boxes as well as hand tools. Home Depot and Lowes doesn't.

When it comes to local-specific products, I tend to go to Ace or True Value where local owners of franchised stores can stock items needed for local needs. Here in Hilo it took an act of Congress to include in their plumbing section 3" PVC drain pipe and fittings. You could find it at HPM, True Value and Ace locally. Why 3" PVC drain pipe? Because those of us on catchment systems use this very specific pipe for our downspouts and connections to our catchment tanks.

Lowes has a better kitchen, bath, electrical and small parts departments than Home Depot. Home Depot has a better Garden department than Lowes. There's a True Value here in Orchidland on the Big Island where they integrated a supermarket so you can pick up a pound of nails and a pound of hamburger at the same time!

You pick and choose and decide where to go.

Comment

for tools, you can't get much better than Sears Craftsman brand - even Bob Vila buys those! and they're guaranteed for life.

I prefer to shop at locally OWNED stores, not big-box retailers. City Mill has always been able to satisfy my needs and I've always had good & knowlegable service in the Kaimuki store which is where I usually go.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I will always try City Mill first due to it's local roots. And I've always been satisfied with their customer service. Can't say the same for Home Depot even tho' I do shop there for products CM doesn't carry.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    for tools, you can't get much better than Sears Craftsman brand - even Bob Vila buys those! and they're guaranteed for life.

I prefer to shop at locally OWNED stores, not big-box retailers. City Mill has always been able to satisfy my needs and I've always had good & knowlegable service in the Kaimuki store which is where I usually go.
                    Unfortunately Craftsman tools are not made by Sears or Craftsman itself. At one point Craftsman was made by Snap On then by True Value, now I believe it's made by Husky, which by the way is sold exclusively by Home Depot and also carries a lifetime warranty. And BTW Craftsman tools are not always guaranteed for life. Because of misuse, it is up to the discretion of the Sears manager to accept a tool for warranty replacement. Obvious misuse will null any warranty from Sears. They are cracking down.
                    Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 23, 2010, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I asked a worker where I can find a tool.
                      He told me to look in the mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        Unfortunately Craftsman tools are not made by Sears or Craftsman itself. At one point Craftsman was made by Snap On then by True Value, now I believe it's made by Husky, which by the way is sold exclusively by Home Depot and also carries a lifetime warranty. And BTW Craftsman tools are not always guaranteed for life. Because of misuse, it is up to the discretion of the Sears manager to accept a tool for warranty replacement. Obvious misuse will null any warranty from Sears. They are cracking down.
                        1) I don't care who MAKES the tools - I care where they are sold. As long as the quality is good, I'll go to Sears/

2) I'm not too worried about the warranty since I've never had a Craftsman brand tool break. I'm sure it's possible but I've not had the problem. and besides, I'm good to my tools!

and most important - I don't shop at Home Depot
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          1) I don't care who MAKES the tools - I care where they are sold. As long as the quality is good, I'll go to Sears/

2) I'm not too worried about the warranty since I've never had a Craftsman brand tool break. I'm sure it's possible but I've not had the problem. and besides, I'm good to my tools!

and most important - I don't shop at Home Depot
                          1) You should care who makes the tools because Craftsman changes vendors so what was good may not be good later on. And Sears is cracking down on warranty replacement.

2) That's good

and that's too bad about Home Depot because they are a good store.

Comment

Craig - it's Craftsman that has the warranty, not Sears. and they have a lifetime warranty. and I'm talking about handtools - not power tools.

and I agree with you that Home Depot is a good store. I just prefer shopping locally owned stores when I can. If it's something that is only sold at HD (or Loewes) then I will go there.

and I'm done discussing tools & stores.
                            Last edited by anapuni808; March 23, 2010, 10:53 PM.
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
                              Most of us are handy with our hands, so where do you go to get your tools/equipment?
                              Is this just for Oahu or what?
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                                Is this just for Oahu or what?
                                Adrian, who no longer participates on HT, started this thread 5 years ago. Who knows what he had in mind. So, what hardware store do you go to on Molokai, Random?!

Comment

Working...
                                X