Should there be a requirement for National Service in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should there be a requirement for National Service in the US

Huffington Post has started a new feature called Friday Afternoon Topic. Todays topic is, "Should there be a requirement for National Service in the USA?" Of course there is no right answer, it is just a means to start a dialogue. I'll go first.

Matapule is a strong believer in National Service for both men and women. That does not necessarily mean only the military, but the military should be an option. I think the committment should be two years. I believe that National Service adds to a young person's maturity and depth of experience. I would like to see a requirement inacted.
    Yes, it makes sense
    63.16%
    No we don't need it
    36.84%
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: Friday afternoon topic: Should there be a requirement for National Service in th

I don't believe that a forced 'National Service' is proper for our style of Democracy.

I graduated in '79... the first year that the draft registration was reinstated.
    I wrote conscientious objector over every piece of open white paper space.

What 'other' options are you suggesting as choices? Besides the military?

In our society presently all of us have the option to join any service, military or otherwise along with joining in or creating community service organizations.

I've paid all taxes due so am doing my national service already, even when I don't agree with the way much of it is spent.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Re: Friday afternoon topic: Should there be a requirement for National Service in th

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
      IWhat 'other' options are you suggesting as choices? Besides the military?.
      Well, the obvious one for me was the Peace Corps which is still an option. But the Peace Corps is not for everyone. The link describes other forms of National Service in other countries such work in a hospital. There are many options used by other countries and available in the US.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I believe every citizen in this nation should be required to work for one year in the food-service industry; it would make us all better patrons.

Comment

Leo makes me laugh every time.
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            I believe every citizen in this nation should be required to work for one year in the food-service industry; it would make us all better patrons.
            One doesn't need to work in food service to be a better patron or have a great appreciation. But maybe that's because my mom's side of the family had their own family-run coffee shop, and I was practically raised in a restaurant since I was born

I tend to believe (and this is hearing it from my friendly bartenders/waitstaff) that the "regulars" will ALWAYS make up for the idiots that come in. My waitress got 40% tonight.

/threadjack

Comment

Re: Should there be a requirement for National Service in the US

As far as national service, I definitely disagree with having everyone do military service. It's not cut out for everyone, whether it's due to health, fitness, attitude, or just being a lameass. The last thing we want is someone in the military who doesn't want to be there, and then be forced to fight alongside someone and risk the lives of other people because of their lack of dedication. Even though America is currently an "all-volunteer" military (and there are tons of people still willing to sign), you still have those select few who join and then magically "find God" and crap out when it comes time for them to do something. For that, they should not receive honorable discharges for copping out on a sworn oath and contract. Perhaps they should get an "unfulfilled contract discharge" label

Otherwise, I'm all for other alternatives such as volunteering, temporary work, or other things that provide a service either at the city, state or even national level. Sometimes, depending on the nature of the work, it's hard to quantify exactly what type of service is being done. But whatever it is, it should still receive some sort of praise or appreciation.

On the other hand, I have zero respect for liars, cheats, fake "veterans" or people who claim to have performed some honorable service to scam benefits. Hopefully they choke on their own saliva from the drooling of their greed.

Comment

I don't see how its provided for under the Constitution, in fact the 13th Amendment prohibits involuntary servitude except as punishment for a crime. Something like FDR's CCC, voluntary, paid, where people of any age can join up and work on public interest projects, goes down better with me. There is a lot that needs to be done, there are a lot of talented people of many ages without productive work, the two needs fit well. Its probably too sane and humane to happen.

Comment

I've always entertained a service duty ideal, but where would you put those two years so it doesn't slow education or job productivity?
                  During ed. years would stifle learning, pre-college would hinder that goal, post-college would hinder employment, and once a career is started... not to mention BABIES.

Those that do religious 'missions' seem to manage that, but at what sacrifice?
                  And if it's not a major learning experience, but instead more of a two year wheel spin, no way.
                  Last edited by Ron Whitfield; November 13, 2010, 07:33 AM.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                    I've always entertained a service duty ideal, but where would you put those two years so it doesn't slow education or job productivity?
                    In some countries, National Service is as little as 3 months. And I firmly believe that National Service doesn't slow education or job development, it increases both.

ed. years would stifle learning, pre-college would hinder that goal, post-college would hinder employment, and once a career is started... not to mention BABIES.
                    Most countries that require National Service do it immediately after what we call high school graduation.

As a former university professor, I have seen too many brilliant students fail at the university because they lacked developmental maturity that only a dose of real world experience will fix. Sometimes (not always) it is better to begin higher education after one has reached their 20's or 30's.

Those that do religious 'missions' seem to manage that, but at what sacrifice?
                    For most, none.

And if it's not a major learning experience, but instead more of a two year wheel spin, no way.
                    Sometimes, one has to spin their wheels before they can gain traction, especially at age 17 or 18. Spinning wheels CAN BE a learning experience.

Comment

I can dig all that, and something similar should have been part of the schooling process all along. With all the wasted years out of our basic 12, we could use a lot of it more productively = higher % of productive grads.

But compared to how smart kids were 100 years ago, I get the feeling that an informed public isn't currently wanted...
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                        Hopefully they choke on their own saliva from the drooling of their greed.
                        HaaaaHAHAHAAAAAAaaaa!!! Love this!!

And my answer is no. A resounding NO. Good idea full of not so good possibilities.
                        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Quoted from Kalalau... 1) "I don't see how its provided for under the Constitution, in fact the 13th Amendment prohibits involuntary servitude except as punishment for a crime.
                          2)Something like FDR's CCC, voluntary, paid, where people of any age can join up and work on public interest projects, goes down better with me. There is a lot that needs to be done, there are a lot of talented people of many ages without productive work, the two needs fit well.
                          3)Its probably too sane and humane to happen."

1) I agree
                          2) I agree
                          3) I agree

Forward these motions... hoping.
                          Except the 3rd.. maybe?
                          Last edited by Menehune Man; November 14, 2010, 07:02 PM. Reason: Except the 3rd.. maybe?
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

It sounds good, but people forced to do good deeds isn't character building. It's not a movie, with a montage of teens wising up that not everyone gets clean water. I was forced to do service hours for 5 years (8-12) and you HAD to do them to graduate. Did I learn anything? No. Picture teens scowling at you while they pass out flowers or bring water to you in your in nursing homes. They know you're not wanting to be there. Sticking the stoner with a slow kid who can't figure out math? Great plan. Guess who learns how to roll a fatty instead of trig? Picking up trash on the side of the road doesn't always teach kids not to litter or to respect the environment. It just teaches them that picking up trash sucks and don't wear Prada boots or you'll step in something nasty and spend the next 4 hours whining about it. These are all true stories of forced service hours I witnessed. I spent most of mine as a candy striper, which wasn't awful, but they stuck me in the gift shop. Oh, and I got to kill a wasp once in somebody's room, and I got passive TB. Great learning experiences there.

The best learning experiences I had were when I got married right out of high school and had NOTHING and had to figure out how to stretch $500 over a month. But not everyone has to figure life out the hard way.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I spent my two years of 'national service' in the Army, in VietNam, trying to keep our guys from being killed. NOT my choice, and it was a two-edged sword: I learned a LOT, and I suffered (and still am, for the rest of my life) because of it.

I believe we owe our country more than taxes. We have a better lifestyle than many around the world (though not as good as some), and if we don't do some voluntary contribution we are merely parasites.

In my son's school, high school, they have a concept called 'mentorship.' Each student chooses, or is assigned a place in the community where they can contribute, and learn. My son spent one year in a pre-school (and discovered he loves to work with children), a year with a blacksmith, and is now working at Diamond Head Theatre. He learns; he benefits the community; he discovers what he is suited for.

College. When I first went, I was inflamed with someone else's dreams. Perhaps some are mature enough seniors to know where they must go, I was merely infatuated, and flunked out. In 1967.

I got drafted, of course. Went to war, came back as damaged goods, worked for a few years then was finally ready for higher education.

National service can be like mentorship - choose a field you want to explore, test out if you love it enough to continue, and enter college when you are more worldly, more mature.

In the meantime, bridges get fixed, Wall Street cheaters get outed, our home shores are protected, crime goes down, the needy get more needs met, students get more educated. And you get paid for your efforts - flat-rate military pay equivalent, as our country gets better, our students get smarter and more mature and we bring our standard of living up.

Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

For those who claim it compromises our freedom - I just have to laugh in your face. And I have the scars to prove it.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X