Dr Laura & the "N" Word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dr Laura & the "N" Word

We have an EHarmony match of Dr. Laura and Mel Gibson.
    Just substitute that word with the word Wiggah. Who wants to be called a Vanilla Ice? So, Collabrate and Listen. Ice is back with a brand new invention.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
      I think the N-word should be kept around to describe the individuals that do things like steal, cheat, and identity theft no matter what color their skin. Like the drug addicts that assault their own kapuna to get money. Or the men that have more children than they could ever support and then brag and laugh about it. Chain snaggers, taggers....need a word to describe these low individuals, the list grows. No, I think the word should be kept around. Let's just change the meaning. A useful word when applied in the right situation, no matter the individual's race.
      Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
      As Sam Choy would say...UNBLIEVABLE!!! Wow... is all I can say!!
      I cannot concentrate on the full meaning of that paragraph, I'm too preoccupied with wondering what is a "chain snagger".
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Chain Snagger
        Someone that grabs the gold chain that a weaker stranger than them is wearing, grabs it, and pulls hard until it breaks. Then they flee. Believe it or not, in the big city this happens. I understand you must lead a sheltered life. There is also smash and grab, where they break a ladies car window when she is stopped at a red light, grab her purse and go.

If an individual does this sort of thing, in my value system, that person is a n-, no matter what their race. You don't like it, you don't have to agree with me.
        You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

I think "Dr." Laura's degree is in something like p.e., which is fine but doesn't qualify her at all to speak about human relations. There was a call on Randi Rhodes show from a listener who had gone to school with Laura, she said Laura was one of the cruel name calling brats that made high school such a miserable experience for many of us. Nice she's been able to turn that horrible trait into such a profitable career she's not qualified for, and in so doing to steer however many thousands of listeners looking for good advice in the wrong direction. Radio strikes again.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo lolo View Post
            Dr. Laura ain't going anywhere. She's got listeners who don't give a flying consonant what she says...and there's $$ to be made.
            Well, that $$ Dr. L is making won't be coming from Motel 8 from now on. They've dropped her like a hot potato.

Other sponsors are being urged to likewise follow suit, by some of the following organizations.

Media Matters/Women's Media Center/UNITY Journalists Of Color/GLAAD

The National Urban League
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              My advice to Dr. Laura? Rather than go through the indignity of gradually losing sponsors, station affiliates, and being grilled by her critics, she should voluntarily end her show. She can explain to her audience that now would be a good time for her to take time out (temporarily at least) from doing the program, take stock of the situation, do some soul-searching and try to get back in touch with American society, with all the changes that the 21st century has brought to this country.
              Well predicted, FM. She announced today that she's ending the show. Her rationale may ring a little odd, but still:

"My contract is up for my radio show at the end of the year and I've made the decision not to do radio anymore," Schlessinger told Larry King.

"The reason is I want to regain my First Amendment rights. I want to be able to say what's on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry, some special interest group deciding this is the time to silence a voice of dissent and attack affiliates, attack sponsors. I'm sort of done with that."

She's not retiring or quitting, she added, but rather, hopes to be "stronger and freer to say the things that I believe need to be said for people in this country."

Comment

She may leave radio, but I am sure she'll be back in some kind of media or another. A book, maybe a podcast, satellite?

Again I am not a fan. Just idle speculation. Media types cannot resist the spotlight for very long.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Dr. Laura is a moral person. She's not the type to have nude pictures of herself.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Well predicted, FM. She announced today that she's ending the show.
                    You give me too much credit. The only part of my unsolicited advice that Dr. Laura adhered to was to quit her radio show voluntarily.

Despite Dr. L's claims that she was taking responsibility for her mistake, she's still pointing the finger of blame at her critics, calling them "angry, hateful groups." This is reminiscent of Tiger Wood's first couple of press releases after his unfortunate encounter with a tree, fire hydrant, and a golf club wielded by wife Elin. He issed a so-called apology, but also took the opportunity to lash out at the media.

It was a bad move on Tiger's part. And so it will be for Dr. L. A sincere apology has to be unconditional. Taking responsibility for one's mistakes doesn't mean saying, "I was wrong, but,...." and pointing the finger of blame at the critics. She's trying to make herself out to be the victim of this whole affair,.... and I don't think too many people are going to buy it.

Dr. L wrapping herself in the American flag and saying that her First Amendment rights were usurped from her is another hard sell. The 1st amendment may protect whatever she wants to say, no matter how outrageous or controversial it may be. But nothing in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights compells a private business to support and sponser her program. Radio talk show is a business. If her speech is vile and despicable to a high percentage of the population, then she in effect becomes a P.R. liability for any company that she is associated with. So Dr. L should spare everyone about her show being jeopardized because of the 1st amendment. Hogwash! She was going to her lose her show because, quite simply, being associated with her was going to be bad for business.

Her telling Larry King, "I wasn't dissing anybody," reveals how totally oblivious she was to the insult and insensitivity she lobbed at the NAACP. "Don't NAACP me?" She took the name of a very distinguished civil rights group and used it as negative verb denoting the act of taking someone's words out of context. If that expression slips into the vernacular of the American people, then that is an ugly legacy that Dr. L will be responsible for.

Dr. L is bowing out as a radio talk show host. But she's not doing it gracefully.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      "Don't NAACP me?" She took the name of a very distinguished civil rights group and used it as negative verb denoting the act of taking someone's words out of context. If that expression slips into the vernacular of the American people, then that is an ugly legacy that Dr. L will be responsible for.
                      Read the thread cold....have not heard any of the Dr. Laura stuff, but this phrase caught my attention. Frankie, sorry, but this phrase is not new for Dr. Laura. The South already uses this phrase...your "very distinguished civil rights group" has a history, at least in the southern US, of taking statements/words out of context, calling for boycotts, etc, etc. I think the NAACP has a wonderful history of supporting African American rights, but as the years go by politics takes a toll on the veracity of this organization and its membership and fundraising reflects that.

See this, too...

Don't blame her for a legacy that the NAACP brought on itself.

Comment

Say bye bye! http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/08/18/...fter-30-years/
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                          Read the thread cold....have not heard any of the Dr. Laura stuff, but this phrase caught my attention. Frankie, sorry, but this phrase is not new for Dr. Laura. The South already uses this phrase...
                          Well, it's a new one on me. You did qualify it as a phrase that's used in the South. But if it's a regional expression that has been around for awhile, you would figure that it would be found on the web somewhere. I just did a Google search of "don't naacp me" and couldn't find that phrase anywhere prior to Dr. Laura's meltdown.

So I'll stand by what I said earlier. If "Don't NAACP me" starts catching on as an expression that people use when defending themselves against words that are taken out of context, then AFAIAC, Dr. L was the one that brought it national prominence.

your "very distinguished civil rights group" has a history, at least in the southern US, of taking statements/words out of context, calling for boycotts, etc, etc.
                          "My" civil rights group?

I think the NAACP has a wonderful history of supporting African American rights, but as the years go by politics takes a toll on the veracity of this organization and its membership and fundraising reflects that.

See this, too...
                          Is everything 100% fine, dandy, and harmonious within the NAACP? No. But then again, the National Organization for Women (NOW) have also had their share of controversies and dissension over the years. Should that likewise make the name of the organization fair game for the anti-feminists to heap ridicule on?

Oh, not that I'm saying that Dr. Laura or anyone else doesn't have the freedom to come up with catch-phrases that degrade the name of civil rights groups. The 1st amendment ensures them that they can say whatever they want with no censorship from the government. They just need to remember that the same amendment doesn't shield them from other consequences, like lost sponsorships and diminished respect from people in general.

Comment

"Sleepless in Seattle" will never be the same...........

Comment

Derisive epithets remain so, regardless of the context. Said among targets thereof it is a psychological strategy to minimize the psychological damage when said by others.

This does NOT make it acceptable for others to use such epithets to label, deride or diminish the others to whom these epithets apply.

Get a clue.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Up until now, the public has seen the face of the "apologetic" Dr. Laura on Larry King who is hurt and bewildered by all of the criticism and disgust that was sent her her way by activist groups, media figures, and bloggers. But we never saw who caller "Jade" was. All we heard was a voice on the phone. Someone who said she was African-American and married to a white husband. There was no human face to her part in this drama.

Until now.

Nita "Jade" Hanson on CNN.

Dr. L's "Don't NAACP me" and "Nice try, Jade" indicated that the talk show host thought that the caller had an agenda and was trying to set her up. Is that what Nita Hanson had in mind? Everyone can decide for themselves.
                                Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 19, 2010, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X