"So You Think You Can Dance" - Season 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "So You Think You Can Dance" - Season 5

On the heels of American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance. These are pretty much the only two "reality contest shows" that I watch. Anyone else watching tomorrow?

Re: "So You Think You Can Dance" - Season 5

Between AI and DWTS, I'm pretty much reality-showed out by this time of the year! I'll start watching SYTYCD at about the top 10 mark...unless a Hawaii dancer makes his/her mark earlier, like Mark Kanemura did last year. Mark and 9 other dancers from last season appeared on the Ellen show yesterday.

I thought it was pretty cool to see 2 previous SYTYCD contestants brought on board, as pros, this season's DWTS.

Comment

Wow, Tyce Diorio is a little cranky as a judge. I wonder if he's bucking to be the Simon Cowell of SYTYCD.

Comment

Hawaii has a contestant who was put thru to Vegas...Kamehameha grad, Kupono. Didn't get his last name. That means I add SYTYCD to my weekly viewing schedule. *sigh*

Comment

I think his name is Kuponohi'ipoi Aweau. I feel a little sorry for him that people are starting to call him Mark 2.0 (at least on Television Without Pity). He deserves a chance to establish his own identity as a dancer. Also, the brother and sister team seemed kinda uji.

Comment

OMG...I know him as Pono Aweau! He looked totally different than the last time I saw him during a dance audition last year. Shoot...wish I'd dvr'd the show. I first met him at another audition a few years ago, the same audition where I first met Mark Kanemura. I believe both guys came out of Marcelo Pacleb's 24/7 Dance Force. I need to hele on over to Facebook and ask if Kuponohi'ipoi Aweau (referred to as Kupono last night) is, in fact, Pono Aweau. It looks like I'll be glued to that show!

Comment

I just reviewed Kupono's performance from last night, on YouTube. It was the narrator who referred to him as Kupono. He referred to himself as Pono! 24/7 Dance Force produces some really great dancers. I hope Pono makes it thru.

Comment

I hope he makes it through, too! and poor guy, the judges kept mispronouncing even "Pono". I kept thinking, "it's not that hard to pronounce!"

Comment

Did Pono make it through til the end of tonight? I didn't see him in the final group of guys but they panned through pretty quick other than the few guys they focused on.

Spoilery from TWoP: [
                  According to the spoiler thread there, Pono did make it to the top 20. I hope he did!
                  ]
                  Last edited by Adri; June 4, 2009, 12:01 AM. Reason: eta spoilery speculation

Comment

Yep! Pono made it to the top 20 so my SYTYCD addiction starts next week instead of waiting 'til the top 10! I'm surprised the judges gave him flack for his hair. That's part of an artist's creative personality. He once came thru my office with a crew cut with a very long, spiked, red mohawk and he's never been thru my office with the same hair style! So expressive, that guy!

Comment

The dancing tonight, from start to finish, was extraordinary. And it's only the top 20, first night of competition. Where do the dancers go from here? How do 2 get eliminated tomorrow night?

Pono and his partner, Ashley, rocked. Well, in their case, crashed! Once their YouTube video is uploaded you'll have a chance to see what I mean! Incredible choreography. Incredible execution.

:::GOOOOOOO:::PONOOOOOOO:::

Comment

I think Pono did well. I'm also glad Wade Robson is choreographing this season. It has become a game with me, though, to try to anticipate Mary's screams and fast forward through them.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                          [...]It has become a game with me, though, to try to anticipate Mary's screams and fast forward through them.
                          <tee hee> Last season was the first that I followed the show, thanks to Mark Kanemura. Mary's screams aggravated the heck outta me. This season, for some reason, I find the screaming funny. Simon has branded AI with his slams while Mary has branded SYTYCD with her screams!!! Amazing what a show will do for ratings!

Comment

Re: &quot;So You Think You Can Dance&quot; - Season 5

:::Yaaaaaay:::Ponooooooo:::

Comment

Re: &quot;So You Think You Can Dance&quot; - Season 5

I can't imagine how much it must suck to get that far and and be the first eliminated. But I agree with the judges' choices. This week I read from TWoP that Mark Kanemura was seated directly behind Wade Robson for Pono's performance this week. I rewatched and could only see glimpses of the top of Mark's head from the tv angles. Whomever posted that either had eagle eyes trained to spot any sign of Mark or perhaps was there in person and had a better view.

Comment

Working...
                              X