New Establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Establishments

While we continue to discuss those disappearing establishments, it's also important to note those new establishments that take their place. Or any new restaurant or related business that you've heard about, seen or visited. Here's the place to discuss them.

Here's the former Jack in the Box in Waikiki on the corner of McCully and Kalakaua Ave...

And here's the new establishment...

It appears the only name they go by is
    Japanese
    Chinese
    American
    Buffet

Which sounds more like a description of the restaurant than their business name. I don't know. Haven't walked in yet. They appear to have been steady with business ever since opening up. Easy to understand with the price listing on the window which states "All You Can Eat" & "All You Can Drink" @ $7.99 for breakfast, $9.99 for lunch and $11.99 for dinner. When they first finished the renovations, the entire building was painted that hideous pink color. Probably someone complained, so now the only pink remaining is under that gazebo near the entrance.

Today I also spotted a new Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf on the corner of Monsarrat Ave. and Cambell Ave (Diamond Head/Kapahulu area, across the street from the former Burgerland). It's a newly-built stand-alone establishment that used to be a gas station. Looks like they're trying to beat those "Star Guys" to the punch, getting that precious corner-lot space. It was open for business, although the lot was empty. I'm sure they get busy during the morning and after-dinner hours.

On a side note, today I got my Ahi-Ogo Poke at Aina Haina Foodland then sat down and enjoyed it at Kahala Beach. It was an absolutely GORGEOUS beach day. Gorgeous.
    Last edited by Pomai; June 17, 2007, 03:08 PM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: New Establishments

Don't wanna be jumpin the gun but the new place looks
    howshouldisay

TACKY?

I will always remember it as JACQUE IN THE BOX

Comment

One thing I've noticed about new independent "mom & pop" startups that take over former fast food locations. They usually leave the fast food architecture intact and simply provide a new coat of paint and some minor tweaks, that's it. Guess when you don't have a huge budget, architecture becomes second priority. I've seen former Taco Bell locations become Pho places. Kinda wierd eating Asian cuisine in a Hacienda-style joint.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        One thing I've noticed about new independent "mom & pop" startups that take over former fast food locations. They usually leave the fast food architecture intact and simply provide a new coat of paint and some minor tweaks, that's it. Guess when you don't have a huge budget, architecture becomes second priority. I've seen former Taco Bell locations become Pho places. Kinda wierd eating Asian cuisine in a Hacienda-style joint.
        I totally agree. Boston's North end Pizza did the same thing when they took over a few former Pizza Hut Restaurants around the island. But at least that was along the same theme.

Reminds me of the movie Coming to America, where they had a "McDowell's".

Legalities aside, imagine if these chinese buffet folks at this former Waikiki Jack in the Box location named the place "Jacky Chan in the Box".

With offerings like the "Lup Cheong Jack" and "Schezuan Seasoned Curly Fries".

With their mascot being the Jack CEO, but instead of round eyes, they would be slanted, with a "Fu Man Chu" goatie. lol
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I think I'll pass on Jack's Lup Cheong, just doesn't sound right.

Comment

What's with the pink paint?

Oh, I'm sorry. "Hot Pink."
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I wonder if any of them remember when Jack Cione brought in a bunch of pigs and was raising them on that property? Waaaay back.
              Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

for all u Nico's fans...here's another place for you to try!!

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/8101297.html

don't forget to click on the video!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                  Today I also spotted a new Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf on the corner of Monsarrat Ave. and Cambell Ave (Diamond Head/Kapahulu area, across the street from the former Burgerland). It's a newly-built stand-alone establishment that used to be a gas station. Looks like they're trying to beat those "Star Guys" to the punch, getting that precious corner-lot space. It was open for business, although the lot was empty. I'm sure they get busy during the morning and after-dinner hours.

On a side note, today I got my Ahi-Ogo Poke at Aina Haina Foodland then sat down and enjoyed it at Kahala Beach. It was an absolutely GORGEOUS beach day. Gorgeous.
                  Regarding Starbux and Coffee Bean....

What's your guys' take on one vs the other ?

For my basic everyday addiction....triple espresso over lots of ice...SBux all the way. But when I want a blended icy treat...Coffee Bean's ice blended are better to me than the SBux Frappacinos. Their Black Forest ice blended is super ono....ice, espresso, mocha mix, chocolate covered espresso beans, and marashino cherries, blended up and topped with whipped cream. SO good.

Their ice blended vanilla is great too.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                    Regarding Starbux and Coffee Bean....

What's your guys' take on one vs the other ?

For my basic everyday addiction....triple espresso over lots of ice...SBux all the way. But when I want a blended icy treat...Coffee Bean's ice blended are better to me than the SBux Frappacinos. Their Black Forest ice blended is super ono....ice, espresso, mocha mix, chocolate covered espresso beans, and marashino cherries, blended up and topped with whipped cream. SO good.

Their ice blended vanilla is great too.

after trying other coffee places around here..i have discovered that SBux makes coffee flavored milk :P

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
                      after trying other coffee places around here..i have discovered that SBux makes coffee flavored milk :P

I am SO out of the loop.

Gimme the trucker's coffee---7-11. Lotsa caffeine, fix it yourself stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
                        for all u Nico's fans...here's another place for you to try!!

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/8101297.html

don't forget to click on the video!
                        Mahalo for the tip Cran'! I watched the whole video. Long one!

When I drove by Nimitz yesterday I noticed the "Uncle’s Fish Market and Grill" banner. So they'll open next week Wednesday. Nicely done place.

GRILL. FLAMES. Teriyaki Fish Burgers. 11 oz. Opah. Ono. OMG! Plus fish 'n chips made with your choice of FRESH fish. Reminds me of Alexander's in Kihei. In fact, the owner apparently is from Maui.

They even have an "Ahi room". Get a load of that! I want one of those.

I imagine the menu prices might get steep ("based on market value"), but hopefully it will be within reason to go for a typical day's lunch.

'
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I watched the Video dat Cran put up on onnada Forum.

I wuz so excited, I rushed into my room and got ready while PK watch the rest of the Video. He was too excited to realize it will open next week. We went to Uncle's. And soon learned the place wuz CLOSED!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Took pictures, will post laterz.:

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Uncle's @ Pier 38!

In the front/left of Uncle's!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                              When I drove by Nimitz yesterday I noticed the "Uncle’s Fish Market and Grill" banner. So they'll open next week Wednesday. Nicely done place.
                              That sign's been there for more than a month. I'll give it a try, but it's going to be tough to beat Nico's.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X