• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Congressional Debate 2010

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    In the Advertiser this morning:
    http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...e=nletter-news

Abercrombie, whose February resignation to concentrate on his campaign in the Democratic primary for governor led to the special election, said Case showed a civic conscience. "It took a lot of guts to try to go for the greater good ..."
    yes and this coming from a guy that didnt have the guts to finish his term and avoid the expense and turmoil caused by his own ambitions.
    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Have anyone given thought that when Akaka and Inouye finally leave office that Hirono will be Hawaii's senior congress person?...provided she keeps getting elected. So I feel one should step down so the other can mentor whomever gets elected because Im sure they won't even attempt to mentor Djou.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        this really grates on me when you prejudicially accuse Inouye and Akaka of being the sole individuals who have a “feud” with Case.
        Umm, TuNnL? I didn't read her post in that fashion; I think the implication of them being the "sole individuals" comes from your reading of it.

If I read it correctly, she was just clarifying for Walkoff Balk that the Senators had problems with Case, not with each other - nothing more than that, and certainly not suggesting that they were alone in their (as it turn out, correct) concerns about his candidacy being likely to cost Democrats the seat - albeit temporarily.

Comment

"He showed that he was a Democrat," he said. "When we must fight, we fight. When it's over, we embrace each other."
          Are they a married couple? Please don't scold me because I don't follow politics closely.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            Umm, TuNnL? I didn't read her post in that fashion; I think the implication of them being the "sole individuals" comes from your reading of it ... and certainly not suggesting that they were alone in their (as it turn out, correct) concerns about his candidacy being likely to cost Democrats the seat - albeit temporarily.
            You’re right, Leo (except the temporarily part — that remains to be seen ). But yes, I was a little drunk when I wrote that. E kala mai, Anapuni.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Just got this in my Twitter feed (from someone who visits HT rarely these days):

HPR: Charles Djou (@Djou4Hawaii) has withdrawn from scheduled Oct. 8 debate w/ Colleen Hanabusa (@ColleenHanabusa). No reason given.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                Just got this in my Twitter feed (from someone who visits HT rarely these days):

HPR: Charles Djou (@Djou4Hawaii) has withdrawn from scheduled Oct. 8 debate w/ Colleen Hanabusa (@ColleenHanabusa). No reason given.
                Hmmm. Maybe this has something to do with Djou having a substantial lead in a private Democratic poll. If his campaign feels like they are, in fact, the frontrunner, then they can dictate the terms on which a debate takes place.

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/rothen...ressional-race
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I tend to take anything published by Hawaii Reporter with a grain of salt. it is known to be a joint venture between Sen. Sam Slom and his girlfriend, both republicans. The poll may be correct - but I haven't seen any notice of it anywhere. Have you any sources where I might read about it? the site you linked to didn't really give me any info.

Thanks!
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    I tend to take anything published by Hawaii Reporter with a grain of salt. it is known to be a joint venture between Sen. Sam Slom and his girlfriend, both republicans. The poll may be correct - but I haven't seen any notice of it anywhere. Have you any sources where I might read about it? the site you linked to didn't really give me any info.
                    First off, it needs to be said that the article I linked to was not written by anyone on Hawaii Reporter's staff. It was lifted from the Rothenberg Political Report. Ideally, I would have tried to link to the original source, but the Rothenberg article can only be accessed through a premium subscription. I don't think Malia Zimmerman would risk having her organization sued by changing the content of the Rothenberg story.

As far as what can be seen by non-subscribers, Rothenberg now has Hawaii CD-1 projected as a pure toss-up. Back in June, they had the race in the "toss-up/tilt Democrat" column.

PCI Political Action gives this take about the CD-1 race.

Djou won a special election earlier this year in a three-way race against two Democrats who split the vote in this heavily Democratic district and allowed Djou to prevail with 40 percent. One of those Democrats, Hanabusa, will now face Djou one-on-one. The political lean of the district heavily favors Hanabusa, the state Senate president, but Djou benefits from incumbency and the expected Republican resurgence in this year’s midterms. Most analysts are calling the race a tossup at this time. This seat represents one of only four Republican House seats nationally that are seen as ripe for Democratic pickups.

CQ Politics and the Cook Political Report rate this race a tossup. The Rothenberg Political Report rates it a “pure tossup.” Larry Sabato’s Crystal Ball rates it “Leans Democratic."
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

• Re: Congressional Debate 2010

Thanks for the info!
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Dylan Nonaka and the state Republican Party have pounced on Hanabusa's non-residency in CD-1 to pull off a clever publicity stunt.

Hawaii Free Press

Hawaii News Now

KITV

KHON

Hanabusa dismissed the whole thing, but I thought the state GOP braintrust's publicity stunt was effective. For one thing, it did generate stories in the major media news outlets. Also, the press conference was right in front of Hanabusa's campaign HQ. And finally, it wasn't one of those nasty smears or attacks.

Comment

I am not sure how to take this one. However, I am not a Democrat or a Republican, and I will vote for the person that I believe it best fit for the job.

I have not though about it..... Now I am THINKING about it... But I have not made up my mind yet. Besides, I cannot vote for either anyway.

Comment

God help you.

Have a nice day.
                            Indeed, He has helped me to see people clearly, and to know their intention. Both a blessing and a curse, you see.

Now I ask His help to be less like John the Baptist, who always spoke the truth of his heart, and lost his head therefore. Would that I was wise enough to use parables. I ask His guidance more than daily, yet always fall short.

You, auntie, are an innocent. I'd vote for you for president.
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                            X