Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Originally posted by tikiyaki
    Not a joke to me....I hate full leaf lettuce on ANY sandwich.... Shredded all the way, ESPECIALLY on burgers :-)
    I dislike lettuce on sandwiches too, so I'd rather it be the full-leaf...so I can take it all off the sandwich in one move.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      For the life of me I can't remember which burger had just the lettuce leaf without the stiff middle part.
      Duh, giving the amount of Jumbo Jacks that I eat I should have known this. The one I had last night jogged my memory.

Comment

The Advertiser revisited their burger overview from June yesterday.

Notably, the Kulia Grill came in last. Of course, after the Kulia Grill took the prize in Hawaii Diner's review (that no doubt inspired the Advertiser's attempt), they went and changed their recipe... so the Kulia Grill burgers haven't been at all noteworthy for months now.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          The Advertiser revisited their burger overview from June yesterday.

Notably, the Kulia Grill came in last. Of course, after the Kulia Grill took the prize in Hawaii Diner's review (that no doubt inspired the Advertiser's attempt), they went and changed their recipe... so the Kulia Grill burgers haven't been at all noteworthy for months now.
          Why in the world would someone change an acclaimed recipe? The "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing SCREAMED to mind when I read this post.
          Disclaimer - I've not been to Kulia Grill ... no personal experience/axe to grind, etc.
          Last edited by Erika Engle; August 13, 2006, 11:50 AM. Reason: punctuation
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Yesterday for the first time I visited Kiawe Grill in Kalihi and tried their

BBQ Cheeseburger Deluxe - 6 oz. ($4.95)

and

Steak-Cut Fries ($2.15)

Believe me, the name Kiawe Grill is literally what this food is about. I seen the grill. It's a restored heavy-duty steel box-shaped unit with a thick iron rod cooking grate and a pit below that burns solid Kiawe LOGS that spew dancin' smokey flames straight up into the meats. They have it sort of hidden in the back, but if you ask me, the grill itself should be a showcase in an "open kitchen" setting. Yeah yeah, I'm the guy that sits there and stares at the BBQ fire. Pyro. lol

The house-made beef burger's patty had a slightly smoked, char-grilled flavor, cooked perfectly medium and need-a-napkin juicy! It was also so big (seemed bigger than 6 oz.) that along with that large portion of steak fries, I only could eat half the burger (shown above). Very juicy. When I return (and I will), I'll ask them not to put ketchup, mustard and relish on it. That was the only thing that didn't work for me. The bun is great; substantial with a nice crust and soft texture. Only gripe on that was they didn't lightly toast the inside on the grill. Next time I'll ask them to do that too. Overall, it was fantastic.

The steak-cut fries was a little over-cooked (hard crust), but still very tender inside and salted perfectly. For just $2 bucks, the portion was HUGE. I shared it with my buddies.

This is probably the only restaurant in Hawaii that offers these kind of exotic meats for burgers...

I'm gonna' suggest to the owner to offer a swiss'n'mushroom option.

Besides burgers, Kiawe Grill also features BBQ plates with a Korean flare to them, including up to 1 lb. of self-serve Korean vegetables on the side. Wow!

They've now been added to my preferred list of lunch hour restaurants. I'm goin' back for that Ostrich burger!

Highly recommended.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              Yeah yeah, I'm the guy that sits there and stares at the BBQ fire. Pyro. lol
              Too funny... and once again, great pics Pomai.

I go to the Kiawe Grill in Moiliili all the time... the ostrich is a nice change of pace, but I would also suggest trying the Angus and Kobe hamburgers.

The regular cheeseburgers are good, but the Angus and Kobe ones are GREAT. Kiawe-grilled Kobe... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Also, like you mentioned, don't forget the regular plates there too... Kiawe-grilled chicken and salmon taste oh-so-ONO with the smokey flavor added.

Comment

Wow, Pomai. Just reading the menu made my stomach growl. Much as I love a good burger, I can't believe I haven't made the trek to Kiawe Grill. I most certainly will now!

Comment

Thanks for the tip PJ. I was really tempted to order the Kobe, since they had a few signs around that pushed it, but the higher price I thought might not have warranted it's that much better. Now that you say it is, I'll do that!

Can you explain exactly what you thought of the Ostrich burger? Does it taste like beef? Is it more dry because it's leaner? I don't wanna' order it and be disappointed only for the sake of saying "I tried it".

Also, does the Moili'ili location have that wood-engraved menu board like the Kalihi location? I assume they have the same vegetable station like this one...

at the Kalihi location...

next to Diners Drive In nearby Farrington H.S. on King St.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I ate at the Moiliili location some months ago and they had the same type of wood engraved menu board, and the same vegetable station.

They also had a few dead and dying roaches laying around the customer area, which didn't appear to be as clean as it should be, which might be why I never went back. I'm not too discriminating, and I liked the kiawe BBQ taste, so I might try them again if they've cleaned up the place.

Comment

As Mapen points out, the menu and the veggies are the same. They even have a scale on top of the cold case so you can weigh it out!

Originally posted by mapen View Post
                      They also had a few dead and dying roaches laying around the customer area, which didn't appear to be as clean as it should be, which might be why I never went back.
                      In the 3 or 4 years I've been going there, I've never seen a roach. Dead or alive. So take that statement and Mapen's and make of it what you will.

As for the burgers... the ostrich was indeed too dry for my taste. It did taste more lean than regular hamburger would, IMO.

Both the Kobe and Angus are good, but I prefer the Angus myself. And you're right, a mushroom and swiss option would be WINNAHS.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                        In the 3 or 4 years I've been going there, I've never seen a roach. Dead or alive. So take that statement and Mapen's and make of it what you will.
                        I'm glad to hear it. I loved the Kiawe BBQ taste but the sight of the critters nagged at me. I know what I saw, I must have went there on a bad or busy day, or just had bad luck. Your statement makes me feel better about the place, I will visit them again.

Comment

Thebest places for Hamburgers which are my favorites are: Arby's (Cheddar Cheese and steak), Jack In The Box (Jumbo Jack, Hambruger Deluxe), McDonald's (the cheeseburgers), Kua'aina at Ward never been to the one on North Shore yet. Island Gourmet Burgers at Ala Moana Center (Mushroom and swiss cheeseburger and the Hot Jalapeno and Pepper Jack hamburger).
                          Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

I think I need to do another test, but the triple prime burger at Ruby Tuesday's is SO ONO...

Woth every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                              Okay, I'm digging up this old thread looking for fresh input. The usual suspects of Kua Aina and Teddy's have been named but what are other places (no national chains please since that thread is already going) that serve excellent, inexpensive ($6 or less) burgers? Maybe it's not their speciality but they do a good job. My current vote is for the double cheeseburger at Nico's $5.75 including fries - and it's an excellent burger.
                              Originally posted by tvguy View Post
                              I still swear by W&M......good if you can find parking!
                              Originally posted by I<3mydoggies View Post
                              Yum, a thread after my own heart. I'd have to suggest you guys try Kiawe Grill. They are located on the side of Diners - Kalihi. They grill your burger with Kiawe wood anyway you like it! Homemade and thick! If you are in for adventure you could even try their buffalo or ostrich burger.
                              Originally posted by lokelani View Post
                              Big City Diner!!

I love the mushroom burgers... fresh mushrooms & garlic.. yum... They are the BEST! we once sat on a table & all the girls ordered like 5 mushroom burgers & 1 portabello mushroom burger.... & if I'm going to pay 8$ for my burger... I'd much rather sit in a nice air conditioned restaurant then outside sitting next to cars on a hot summer day ... (if I had to pick kua aina ward or big city diner ward.... ) ...besides I love their bubbies ice cream & brownie pie.. yum!
                              i agree with all these guys, wholeheartedly...and will also add to the mix that moose mcgillycully's burger is dayum good, if you find yourself in the middle of waiks and doan wanna walk to one end for cheeseburger in waiks or the other end for teddy's.

kunfunnit! you guys made me hungry again!!!
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Okay, so I see that this thread is old, but I'm new here so here's my two cents on burgers... Shiro's Saimin Haven. I live in Ewa Beach, so we usually go to the one there. The teri-burgah is excellent!
                                I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X