Shake and Quake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shake and Quake!

Power came back on in my corner of Palolo around 8 p.m.

What a day. Glad to hear there was only one fatality, due not to the earthquake, but to the ensuing power outage. Sad, but glad to hear it wasn't worse on the Big Island.

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    I just found this Youtube video shot by someone about some of the stuff that happened today....
    Shot by "someone" about the stuff that happened today?

It's HONOlulu, btw... not HANA-loo-loo.

Comment

sounds like you guys rolled with the situation really well. i guess my concern for my daughter made me sweat a lot more than you guys. when the rumbling started this morning, i really worried about something cracking or falling apart. living on the 21st floor of this condo in town, i had no idea how much stress this old 40 yr old condo could take. after things settled down and the power went out, it was a matter of getting some stuff and during the day, it meant packing her (30 pounds) in my backpack and walking up and down 21 floors 3 times! you could say that the back of my shirt was pretty wet!

the good news, as you guys have mentioned, is that there's been (as far as i know) only one fatality mentioned and it's unclear whether that fire was a direct result of the quake. also, wherever i went, people were pretty cool and i didn't see a single instance of people turning into nasty animals.

food wasn't really an issue but i was dying for a good shower at the end of all of this!
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

On a lighter note...

If, all of a sudden, we see an increase of births come July 2007, we know why.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
          On a lighter note...

How does this event initiate more offspring? LOL

Comment

There was a whole lot of shaking on going on this morning in Ewa Beach. It jolted me out of bed. Hope that everyone is safe and recovered from the earthquake.
            Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Okay now here's some serious food for thought... we picked up a friend at the honolulu airport this morning. It was raining and no runway lights so they almost crashed on the first attempt to land! Our airport has no way to support itself with electricity when the power's out. That's ridiculous!

When we returned home,we found that quite abit of our stuff from the shelves was thrown onto the floor. Nothing serious. My Lava Lamp survived!
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                It was raining and no runway lights so they almost crashed on the first attempt to land!
                I find it extremely hard to believe that the plane "almost crashed" on its first attempt to land.

The pilot wouldn't have risked the lives of hundreds of passengers unless he/she felt it was safe to make an attempt to land. I'm sure the pilot was in touch with the control tower before making the attempt. And even it it was raining, it's pretty hard to miss the ground coming up at you when it's daylight outside.

I bet the pilot aborted the initial landing because he/she didn't feel 100 percent comfortable with making the attempt. That's a whole lot different than "almost crashing."

That said, I agree that HNL should have its own generator system in place for the next time something like this happens.

Lessons learned... there's a lot of them for a lot of people after yesterday's events.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                  I find it extremely hard to believe that the plane "almost crashed" on its first attempt to land.
                  The pilot rode the Wikiwiki trolley with everyone from the flight and they were all talking about how the runway was off to the right of them on the initial attempt and how he had to pull it back up and out of there. then circled around for another attempt. Our friend said that the pilot said "That was a close call". So believe it brother.

Comment

Our friend said that the pilot said "That was a close call". So believe it brother.
                    Thanks, Hulkster.

But if a little rain made it hard to see the runway in the daylight, I'd have to question the pilot's skills. And this is all second-hand information, right? I thought only ticketed passengers have access to the shuttle... not those coming to the airport to meet the flights?

Either way, I'm glad I wasn't on that plane. I've gone through enough aborted landings for one lifetime, thanks.

Comment

Thanks, Hulkster.

But if a little rain made it hard to see the runway in the daylight, I'd have to question the pilot's skills. And this is all second-hand information, right? I thought only ticketed passengers have access to the shuttle... not those coming to the airport to meet the flights?

Either way, I'm glad I wasn't on that plane. I've gone through enough aborted landings for one lifetime, thanks.
                      First. From me it's secondhand. From her no it's not.
                      Second. I didn't say I was on the trolley, but passengers were talking about it to others picking them up along with our friend talking to us outside the customs area.
                      Third. Question what you will. I'm just relating an incident that happened.

Comment

From me it's secondhand.
                        That's all you really needed to say.

And let me reiterate, I'm glad your friend and all those other passengers landed safely.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                          I just found this Youtube video shot by someone about some of the stuff that happened today.... it leads you right up to the evening time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcs-xTe9LcM

KIMO55 haunts HT from beyond.
                          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                            On a lighter note...

Too funny...

Glad that everyone there for the most part is ok...houses can be repaired...

It was big news here in the NE...one of the local newspeople are on vacation on Oahu and called into their station with updates-said the swaying of the condo there was so scary as I imagine it would be...
                            Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

That said, I agree that HNL should have its own generator system in place for the next time something like this happens.

Lessons learned... there's a lot of them for a lot of people after yesterday's events.
                              Read somewhere in the news that HNL does have a generator but it wasn't working properly, no doubt probably no one did any maintenance checks on it in a while. Definitely a wake up call.

Comment

Many safe wishes to everyone in the quake zone. Many prayers are in our home for you and your families.
                                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                                Sharing withother survivors...
                                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Working...
                                X