Holistica closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holistica closing

Holistica Hawaii, the preventive, medical, scanning facility at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, is closing on Jan 12. If anyone has considered using this service, now is the time to do so. I had a series of scans done a year ago and was very impressed. A couple of small problems were detected with a follow up with my primary doctor suggested. Everything turned out fine but that might not have been the case had I not chosen to get the scans. I was not having symptoms and chose to do the scans to use as a baseline because I had some discretionary funds at the time!

Anyway...between now and Jan. 5, scans (with the exception of the coronary angiogram) are being offered at a 25% discount.

Much like other businesses mentioned recently, "the lease at the Hilton will not be renewed". There are no plans to move the facility nor is there another facility in Hawaii like it.

Re: Holistica closing

thank you so much for letting us know! Losing this service is the worst thing that can happen in Hawaiʻi.

pax

Comment

Too bad, I also had some scans done there. One major problem with Holistica was that it typically wasn't covered by insurance so going there was on your expense. And at almost $1,000 for a visit, scans didn't come cheap!
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
        thank you so much for letting us know! Losing this service is the worst thing that can happen in Hawaiʻi.
        It's right up there among the worst, that's for sure. I'd love to know the real reason they're closing. My guess is very high rent not offset by enough clients.
        Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        Too bad, I also had some scans done there. One major problem with Holistica was that it typically wasn't covered by insurance so going there was on your expense. And at almost $1,000 for a visit, scans didn't come cheap!
        Yup...it's a 'preventive' facility so one's insurance must include preventive care. And, as a preventive facility one didn't need a doctor's order. However, I'm going to ask my doc if she'll order my one last scan then call my insurance company to see if they'll cover a Dr. ordered scan at Holisitica. The worst they can do is say 'no'.

The scans vary in price from $225-$995. At the high end is the full body scan. While still expensive it's a good deal as it groups several scans together.

I learned from my ins. co. that they'll cover a traditional colonoscopy ONLY if something abnormal is found, such as a polyp. If everything is normal then a doctor ordered colonoscopy, a doc told me, is $2000., paid by the patient. I can't remember if that is just the doc's bill or if it was all inclusive. My guess is the former. Anyway, Holistica's virtual colonography is $895. I opted for Holistica. Good thing, as I woulda been out of pocket $2000. or more.

TMI?

Comment

What kind of body scans? I've been reading that "they" are getting conserned about the high number of CT scans that people are getting over their lifetime. I've already had two.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            What kind of body scans? I've been reading that "they" are getting conserned about the high number of CT scans that people are getting over their lifetime. I've already had two.
            Holistic uses EBT scanning. Per their web site:
            The EBT scanner does this with less radiation than a conventional CT scan and with greater accuracy.
            That said, xrays are still in wide use and they, too, have cancer warnings. I believe xray radiation exceeds CT scan radiation. And, EBT scans...even less. Still, everything in moderation when possible. CT scans are wonderful tools and, often, the benefits far outweigh the risks. That, however, is something a doctor must determine.

Comment

Update via PBN...

I've not heard of Hawaii P.E.T. Imaging and AccuImaging. Are any HTers familiar with either one? I wonder if either business is doctor referred only or if, like Holistica, someone can make an appt. for a preventive scan. Hawaii P.E.T. Imaging is very expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                I've not heard of Hawaii P.E.T. Imaging and AccuImaging. Are any HTers familiar with either one?
                I know where PET is. Ground floor in Restaurant Row. Silly me, I thought it had to do with scanning four-footed furry creatures.

Comment

Had my last scan done after Christmas and am pleased to announce that there really is more than air between my ears! And, whatever it is, it seems to have the appropriate wrinkles, folds and pukas.

I'm really gonna miss that facility and staff...but...I think there's sumthin' in the wind. Keep your fingers crossed.

To be continued...at a later date!

Comment

it's been about 4 years since your last post regarding this closing; any idea if they resurfaced anywhere else? or if there's a similar operation anywhere in hawaii? on the west coast?

thanks
                    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I remember the doctor telling me I'd be on his mailing list for any future developments however I haven't received anything. I'm not aware of another facility like it but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        I believe xray radiation exceeds CT scan radiation.
                        I don't think that's right -- it's the other way around. Here is a site that purports to give you an estimate of the risk you assume with xray, CT and other diagnostics using radiation: Xray (and CT) risk calculator. I get a full body CT scan every year, myself, and insurance pays, since it's a standard follow up after treatment for colorectal cancer, looking for a recurrence.

I thought a screening colonoscopy was standard after age 50, so it seems that insurance should pay for that.
                        Greg

Comment

thanks for the info ;-)
                          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                          X