A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

If the league can't give a better game than the poor stand-up comedy act that passed for NFL football then it should just pack it in. I think I saw 2 people actually give a bit of effort in today's game. It's nothing now, it was so good the 1st decade here, and now it's a total bad joke. Maybe knocking off the loser pay would spike it back up. Knowing you're walking away with at least 25K is no incentive to play.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: A pathetic '12 Pro Bowl

maybe putting it back to where it used to be played - the week AFTER the Super Bowl would help! We used to get players who had just been in the Super Bowl and back then it was a great game. Now, its for fun and a few $$$ for the players plus a vacation for their families. and of course, its just a marketing device for the NFL these days. Do I remember correctly that the Super Bowl used to be played the weekend after the playoffs were over?
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I've never been excited about an all-star game in any sport. No one ever plays defense, and the players always treat it as a vacation anyway.
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
        maybe putting it back to where it used to be played - the week AFTER the Super Bowl would help!

We used to get players who had just been in the Super Bowl and back then it was a great game.

Now, its for fun and a few $$$ for the players plus a vacation for their families. and of course, its just a marketing device for the NFL these days.

Do I remember correctly that the Super Bowl used to be played the weekend after the playoffs were over?
        yup

yup

yup

yup

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
          No one ever plays defense, and the players always treat it as a vacation anyway.
          Yes! Thats part of what I love about ProBowl!! Its like a players reunion after the season, with a friendlier game for us to enjoy!
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
            Yes! Thats part of what I love about ProBowl!! Its like a players reunion after the season, with a friendlier game for us to enjoy!
            That's why we have checkers, Monopoly, and mumblipeg. Football is football, and what they did today is disgraceful. If they don't up this game significantly they should down it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
              That's why we have checkers, Monopoly, and mumblipeg. Football is football, and what they did today is disgraceful. If they don't up this game significantly they should down it.
              the players DO go through a pretty demanding season of practice, pressure, game day, media, community service, etc.

the pro-bowl players kinda deserve some time to play around on the field and entertain the fans.

If you don't like the product they put out, don't buy tickets. I watched what they did on the field for free from the comfort of my couch. If I want to see hard-hitting defense and circus catches, I'll pay and go see a regular season or playoff game.

flickr

Comment

If you don't like the product they put out, don't buy tickets. I watched what they did on the field for free from the comfort of my couch. If I want to see hard-hitting defense and circus catches, I'll pay and go see a regular season or playoff game.
                X2.

This is just Ron's annual rant about the Pro Bowl. Here's the 2011 edition.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

the players DO go through a pretty demanding season of practice, pressure, game day, media, community service, etc. the pro-bowl players kinda deserve some time to play around on the field and entertain the fans. If you don't like the product they put out, don't buy tickets. I watched what they did on the field for free from the comfort of my couch. If I want to see hard-hitting defense and circus catches, I'll pay and go see a regular season or playoff game.
                  I wasted an hour watching them do everything BUT entertain. I understand the crowd was booing in the 1st half it was so bad. In the '80s they had pride and fire, they put out... for themselves, at least in the 2nd half.

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  X2.This is just Ron's annual rant about the Pro Bowl. Here's the 2011 edition.
                  When they go as low as last Sun., there is no precedent.

Comment

I wasted an hour watching them do everything BUT entertain. I understand the crowd was booing in the 1st half it was so bad. In the '80s they had pride and fire, they put out... for themselves, at least in the 2nd half.

When they go as low as last Sun., there is no precedent.
                    the NFL has also changed the rules since the '80s. No one wants to get injured (and no team owners wants their commodities to get injured) in a game where they stand to gain "peanuts" compared to their regular salary or risk missing the next season. Or ending their career like Robert Edwards

flickr

Comment

I've never been excited about an all-star game in any sport.
                      Amen to that! I never understood the concept. NFL Football is a team sport. The idea of individual matchups has already been encompassed in an entirely separate sport — “Fantasy Football.” Players from opposing teams playing together is like watching a United Nations conference.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

the NFL has also changed the rules since the '80s. No one wants to get injured (and no team owners wants their commodities to get injured) in a game where they stand to gain "peanuts" compared to their regular salary or risk missing the next season. Or ending their career like Robert Edwards
                        All true, and why I doubt I'll bother with another PB again. Heck, I don't even recognize hardly any player names now. I may have watched 2 hrs. of NFL reg season in the last 4 years.

Comment

All true, and why I doubt I'll bother with another PB again.
                          Is that a promise?
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

There may have been one too many "yups" in that post. I can think of two years when the Super Bowl was played the week after the conference championships, and one of them I'm not sure of. In one of the strike-shortened seasons, I think they did that. And in 2002, when the regular season was put on hold after the World Trade Centers went down, I think they did that.

I'm pretty sure that except for those exceptions, the Super Bowl has ALWAYS been two weeks after the conference title games, at least in the time of my football awareness (going back to Super Bowl XI). I know that in John Madden's autobiography, Madden says he gave the whole team off in the first week, then resumed the regular practice schedule for the week before the game. So at least since 1976, right?

edit:
                            I'm going with Ron on this one, but also with the others who say who cares about an all-star game. I actually like the baseball all-star game, and the NHL game is kind of fun for the casual fan who only watches a few games per year. The thrill of the Pro-Bowl, for most of us, is just to see some of our favorite players in a different context. The rules have always been relaxed (no blitzing, for example) in the Pro Bowl, but what I saw Sunday was ridiculous, and I sympathized with the fans who booed. If I'd paid to be there, I'd at least want to see the players play the game. What the linemen on both sides of the ball were doing equated to a seven-on-seven spring-training drill. The fans didn't pay to watch practice; they paid to watch a game. There's got to be a middle ground that doesn't threaten, beyond reason, the safety and health of the players. Ugh.
                            Last edited by scrivener; January 31, 2012, 10:03 AM.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                              Is that a promise?
                              My doubts are always assured.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              There may have been one too many "yups" in that post. I can think of two years when the Super Bowl was played the week after the conference championships, and one of them I'm not sure of. In one of the strike-shortened seasons, I think they did that. And in 2002, when the regular season was put on hold after the World Trade Centers went down, I think they did that.
                              I'm pretty sure that except for those exceptions, the Super Bowl has ALWAYS been two weeks after the conference title games, at least in the time of my football awareness (going back to Super Bowl XI). I know that in John Madden's autobiography, Madden says he gave the whole team off in the first week, then resumed the regular practice schedule for the week before the game. So at least since 1976, right?
                              I'm going with Ron on this one, but also with the others who say who cares about an all-star game. I actually like the baseball all-star game, and the NHL game is kind of fun for the casual fan who only watches a few games per year. The thrill of the Pro-Bowl, for most of us, is just to see some of our favorite players in a different context. The rules have always been relaxed (no blitzing, for example) in the Pro Bowl, but what I saw Sunday was ridiculous, and I sympathized with the fans who booed. If I'd paid to be there, I'd at least want to see the players play the game. What the linemen on both sides of the ball were doing equated to a seven-on-seven spring-training drill. The fans didn't pay to watch practice; they paid to watch a game. There's got to be a middle ground that doesn't threaten, beyond reason, the safety and health of the players. Ugh.
                              I think she was talking about the '80s, and I certainly was.

I've been in more exciting and bruising flag football games.

Really, I think eliminating or drastically lowering the loser's pay would change the action considerably.

We used to get dramatic effort,
                              intimidation, and even some spectacular fights in the '80s. Many of these guys came to Hawaii more to play than anything else. Game over if they don't make drastic changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X