• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Loving Hawaii is all that matters!

I don't know how to interpret your words....could you explain:

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    \
    wtf? what is our goal?

MY goal is to allow the different worship modes (i.e. religions) to manifest, to stop the destruction of religious or even semi-religious shrines, or "sacred places."

Hawaiian technology, specially as applied to sea and sky, are valuable to modern technologies. They should be preserved.

I care not for naming of GOD. GOD needs us not to name him/her/it, but to connect with its' ISness, and move onto further creation.

Comment

Re: Loving Hawaii is not THAT cheap!

Mahalo my friend,
      Brah

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      Personally, I found threads reminscing about "small kid time" fascinating, like the one about Checkers & Pogo. Or local business establishments that are now long gone and have been forgotten, for the most part.

If you're into music, then this discussion about the old Diamond Head Craterfests will captivate you for awhile.

As I said, some of these memories are stuff that you can't find in the newspaper archives or in an online search.

Of course, I don't know what interests you, Brah. But chances are, if you use the "search" tab on the top of this page and type in keywords about things and subjects that fascinate you, you'll come across old threads and postings containing info that may be new and useful to you.

Take care. And welcome to the Hawaii Threads community. Hope you find your time in this forum an enjoyable and rewarding one.

Comment

Dont forget Kaonohi's big project - the H3 magnetic disturbance!!
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Just to say that reading this thread very informative as someone far removed from there!

Comment

E ho`omau ka holomoana.
            I `ulu no ka lala i ke kumu.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Yes, I needed to do some googling:

E ho'omau ka holomoana.
              Let us continue the voyage.

I ulu no ka lala i ke kumu.
              The branches grow because of the trunk.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Loving is all that matters!

Originally posted by brah View Post
                I don't know how to interpret your words....could you explain:
                Gandhi once said: "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Humans attacking, or even blaming other humans, is a counterproductive act that hurts us all. The Hawaiian concept of aloha encompasses this. No, Kamehameha didn't have much aloha for his fellows.

Persecuting others is stupid, respecting the beliefs of others is better. Even better is helping others know their beliefs are just as valid, just as sacred to them as ours are to us.

We have a lot to learn from Hawaiian technology, beliefs and wisdom.

As for God: isn't it useless to argue about the nature or name of God? Creation wasn't a six-day thing, it is constant and ever-unfolding, and in our hands.

No one is "right," we are all just striving to understand. Either we do it together, in cooperation, or we will never get there. It starts with You.
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

They've managed to keep Rabbit Island and Chinaman's Hat sacred haven't they? The same principles could have been used on Oahu as whatever is working for the other islands that have managed to stay small and not nearly as populated as what the media did for/to Oahu. Some would say it is too late now.
                  Your context was lost in the written word lest the feeling of being "attacked" but I didn't see "what?! you like beef?!" in the thread title.
                  I found it very well written and I can relate to it simply because of how I still am amazed at how when I lived there between 12 and 14 years of age and would see people walking down the street looking absolutely miserable and thinking to myself "My God, how can you look so miserable?? You live in PARADISE!!"
                  I also cared very little for anyone that called their situation of being there as being "stuck on this rock!" instead of for the blessing it could have been.

Every race has a "white trash" group of people that couldn't care less, Hawaiian's, Whites, Blacks etc. Sad and unfortunate but true.
                  If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

I was talking with a Samoan recently. He is interested in promoting tourism in Samoa. But he was very clear with me. He told me: "I want to promote tourism in Samoa. But my biggest fear is to see Samoa turn into Oahu."

I asked him what he meant by that. He told me that Oahu was a poster-child for unsustainable and artificial tourism that is run by corporations.

"If Samoa is going to turn into Oahu, then I don't want to work to bring more tourism there," he tells me.

There is a lot of truth to what he says. Honolulu is changing so fast that we don't even have a grip on it. We consider Waikiki to be a tourist trap. But what about us Hawaiians who are trapped in the grips of corporations milking our Hawaiian brand any which way for themselves without a real concern for preserving Hawaiian culture?

If we tossed them out of Hawaii, they would easily adopt the Disney Brand or the MTV brand or the NBA or NFL brand. Our culture is just something to put on a T-shirt and sell.

Is Hawaiian culture that cheap? Is that why my ancestors fought and died? To end up "smiley faced" on a T-shirt?

I was looking at the Alaska Airlines logo of an unidentified native Alaskan:

I don't I'm starting to ramble. But I don't feel like our culture should be exploited just for corporations to make money.

Like my Samoan friend was saying: there should be sustainable tourism. This means that anyone that uses Hawaii's name or culture in anyway to make money should donate to a fund to promote and make Hawaiis culture stronger.

Is that so unreasonable?

We shouldn't just work to preserve Hawaiis culture. That is a losing battle. We need to work to promote and make Hawaiis culture grow. And then we might just succeed in preserving it.
                    Last edited by brah; January 10, 2012, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brah View Post
                      I was looking at the Alaska Airlines logo of an unidentified native Alaskan:
                      FYI, he's not "unidentified." His name is Oliver Amouak.

Comment

Working...
                      X