X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mental Illness

In The Advertiser http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...04120344/1001/
    Suits settled in Tantalus case

"Surviving family members of three people shot to death at Tantalus Lookout last year have settled multimillion-dollar damage claims against the mother of the accused murderer, according to state court records.

Other potential claims can be filed against Mau-Goffredo himself and a man who was employed by Lynnette Mau to act as Mau-Goffredo's caretaker.

Mau-Goffredo has pleaded not guilty to charges against him. Mental-health experts are determining if he is competent to stand trial."

I'm happy the families will be receiving settlements. It can't bring back those they love and cherish. It can never erase the pain and loss they are going through. It never will. I do wonder what would have happened if Mau-Goffredo "didn't" have a mother who "didn't" have money? There would have been no settlement like many victim families who are left with nothing.

There are many Mental Illness patients whom walk the streets ready to cause harm and go amok. It takes something like this to bring attention to the problems to evaluate the urgency every so often.

Once again, we are reminded of its devastation.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

In the Advertiser http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...06010371/1001/

Stabbing in Halawa Isle's 12th homicide

By Lynda Arakawa and David Waite

"A 55-year-old woman found fatally stabbed at her Halawa Heights home became the latest homicide victim in a rash of Honolulu killings since mid-April.

Her death pushed the number of killings to twice that reported at the same time last year. It was the 12th homicide on O'ahu, compared with six slayings through the end of May 2006, said police spokesman Capt. Frank Fujii."

Police arrested Carol K. Weidman, 25, at 2:45 a.m. yesterday on suspicion of second-degree murder in connection with the latest killing.

A man who answered the phone at the address yesterday identified himself as Donald R. Weidman and said he was Carol K. Weidman's father.

"I just can't believe that Carol could do something like that," Weidman said when told Carol Weidman had been arrested as a murder suspect.

Asked if his daughter had been having any problems of late, Weidman said: "Yes, severe mental problems."

K-den. I saw the thread that was started but I didn't feel this has anything to do with a child having no respect for a parent in general. The daughter has Mental Illness!!!

Her father stated she has "severe mental problems!"

From the way she looks on t.v. ~ she is in her own world. She is disturbed. What could have troubled such a young and beautiful young woman?

Another case which we all wait to hear what went wrong.

Once again....take dee medications!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        In The Advertiser http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...04120344/1001/
        Suits settled in Tantalus case

I'm happy the families will be receiving settlements.
        Not so fast, Aunty Lynn. Did you read this part?:

the initial claims and fact that they have been settled are disclosed in a lawsuit filed against Lynnette Mau by her homeowner's insurance company, which is asking a court to determine that the company is not liable for payment of the settlements.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          Not so fast, Aunty Lynn. Did you read this part?:
          Oh! No...I didn't see that. So what happens now? Will they get any $$$ or not? The mother has money to begin with. She should at least give out her own pocket if the insurance doesn't. It is the right thing to do.

Auntie Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; June 1, 2007, 04:38 PM.

Comment

I was a Victim yesterday.

Something happened at KauKau Wagon.

Although I've been having my own problems dealing with my "Mental Illness", I still went to KauKau Wagon. It is my passion. As I went to the tables, Sharon's son told me about the tall heavy set Local man. I glanced over. His eyes met mine. He started talking LOUD and swore all kinds of profanities. I kept looking and he kept staring.

Suddenly, he focused on me. He shouted and came up to the table. He came right in front of me and told me he was going to kill me. I immediately asked Chez for his cell phone and called 911. As I talked with the dispatcher, the man continued to threaten me. The dispatcher heard every word.

All the while the people were scared. As for me...I was not in fear. I talked back and told him "try touch me!" I knew sooner or later he would but I didn't care. I was ready too.

Everyone was on pins and needles.

HPD arrived. He went up to the first Blue and White vehicle and shouted to the Police Officer in the car. Soon the officers arrived. He was made to sit down. He bragged about going to the Middle East and how many men he killed.

An officer approached me and tried to convince me not to prosecute. The man was suffering from Mental Illness. I told the officer it was no excuse. What about the next time? He said just call 911 again. I said No way!! I want to PROSECUTE!!! No one threatens my life and uses the excuse of Mental Illness.

As I was writing my report...the man was being handcuffed. He then tried to hit a Police Officer. They got him on the ground. As I looked his eyes met mines. He told me "I'm going to kill you ~ NEXT TIME!"

There won't be a next time.

When I went back to serve my friends, they told me I did the right thing. They were afraid of him. He always intimidates others because of his size and loud voice. I told them, never be afraid. This is America. We have LAWS. You must stand-up for your rights.

Prosecute?

You betta believe it!

I have compassion but if I didn't do what I did...what if he did attack someone else today? Tonight? Tomorrow? No one knows. I couldn't take the chance.

Not with my Life to begin with.

I slept well last night knowing I did the right thing. Knowing I helped make the streets safer. Mental Illness is treatable. No one can tell me it's not. No one can use it as an excuse for I know first hand it's demons. I suffer it 24/7...but I don't go around telling anyone "I going kill you!"

Those words are very powerful and devastating. No one has the right to threaten or take someone else's Life just because they're Mental. So often it is used as an excuse. The man knew what he was doing. Once in handcuffs he knew the system well. He blurted out "I neba take my pills!"

Well, to bad for him this time. As the victim in this case...that excuse is not going to work. Cause I have Mental Illness too. Yep. Our faces met and we came eye to eye.

Mental Case vs Mental Case

continued at http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog/index.php?id=1059

Auntie Lynn

Comment

That’s a tough situation to be in, and a tough call, but I think you did the right thing.

I don’t think it’s not so much about “punishment,” as focusing on the problem. Maybe he’ll get some help, maybe not. But at least you set in motion something that may actually benefit this man, not to mention “keeping the streets safer.” I don’t think it could ever be a 100% solution, but every little bit helps.

Comment

I told them, never be afraid. This is America. We have LAWS. You must stand-up for your rights.

Prosecute?

You betta believe it!
                Right on! I wish more people would do that - but there's one problem. There's this little matter of a constitutional right to face one's accuser. That means in due process, the accused will learn the identity of the accuser. Given the current system, it's likely the accused will be out on bail or maybe parole.

Is it legal for the accused to hunt down the accuser? Probably not, but then what the accused did in the first place wasn't legal - but that didn't stop them then.

And that's why so few prosecute.

What bothers me about this is that the dispatcher heard him and the police heard his threat. Seems like they wouldn't need to have you prosecute - the state has enough evidence with their own employees. So why did the cop try to talk you out of it? That bothers me.
                Last edited by GeckoGeek; June 10, 2007, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                  I don’t think it could ever be a 100% solution, but every little bit helps.
                  He is Off the streets and receiving Help which is better.

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  And that's why so few prosecute.

What bothers me about this is that the dispatcher heard him and the police heard his threat. Seems like they wouldn't need to have you prosecute - the state has enough evidence with their own employees. So why did the cop try to talk you out of it? That bothers me.
                  The suspect knows who I am and knows where to find me. I will not live in FEAR. Das not my style. When the Officer tried to talk me out of prosecuting I knew why. They are faced with numerous complaints and issues of the Homeless and usually those who prosecute don't "follow" through. It involves a lot of paper work and man power just for one case. They don't have to worry about me...I will follow through.

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Good on ya, Auntie. If I'm ever around, and that happens, guaranteed I'd regulate.

Violence should always be met with OVERWHELMING physical response, such that the violent perp will forever remember his 'mistake'.

Peace is the answer. But if the answer ain't workin......
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                      Peace is the answer. But if the answer ain't workin......
                      Like I said "I was ready too!" In my Pupule Head I was planning my attack. The man was six feet 4 inches and weighed over 250 lbs. But I wasn't scared...not one bit. I was MAD!! His words alone violated my rights as a citizen and as a human being. I wasn't about to let him kill me without a fight for my LIFE!!

Whatever I've learned to survive in my fifty-one years on Earth would have come out swinging. It would have not been pretty. Survival when facing Death is Ugly but when faced with it there is no turning back or asking what are the consequences? Still, I remained focused and luckily, HPD came in a matter of seconds.

As I reflect on what happened, I am thankful that nothing else did occur. I am still alive to write about it. I am still alive to enjoy my Ohana and continue to volunteer at KauKau Wagon.

Everyday is a challenge for me. Life is not easy. We are faced with many problems as discussed on HT. But when someone threatens another it is a violation PERIOD! I and no one else should stand for it.

Mahalo Tim!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

WOW, Auntie Lynn! I also think you handled the situation in the best way possible. I think of you from time to time, but have been really busy...I'm sorry you had to go through all that.

Your courageous actions I'm sure will let the other homeless sleep better at night knowing that this man is off the streets.

When I'm not so busy, I'll make that konbu maki thingy, and bring some over to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Beau View Post
                          WOW, Auntie Lynn! I also think you handled the situation in the best way possible. I think of you from time to time, but have been really busy...I'm sorry you had to go through all that.

Your courageous actions I'm sure will let the other homeless sleep better at night knowing that this man is off the streets.

When I'm not so busy, I'll make that konbu maki thingy, and bring some over to you.
                          I've been thinking about you too! Why don't I go buy the ingredients and come ova to your hale so you can teach me how to make the "thingy!"

Call me.

I'm cooking Pork Water Cress Soup with Chinese Roast Pork from Nam Fong in Chinatown!hahahah

Auntie Lynn

Comment

The suspect knows who I am and knows where to find me.

Good for you for standing up to him.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                              Good for you for standing up to him.
                              I just came home from City Mill Nimitz. Took the back road where IHS for Men is located. Guess who was screaming his head off? Yep! The MAN who threatened me this past Saturday!!

I was given a card by an officer who told me a Detective would call me regarding the case. No one did. I was waiting for anyone to tell me if the suspect was released or kept for evaluation...anything so he was not a threat to Society.

My hopes was at least he would receive some kind of treatment.

Alas, nothing was done. He is back on the streets causing havoc again. It is a matter of time when he will hurt or kill someone. My question is...what becomes of my case?

Because he is Homeless and suffering from Mental Illness he is not going to be able or want to be appearing in a Court of Law. Why should he? His reason is simple ~ He's Mental!!

The State will not spend $$$ seeking someone for a case so small. Unless, he once again causes another outburst which brings harm to others. It shouldn't be. I am so angry with the system at this moment.

Will I go to KauKau Wagon on Saturday and face him again?

You betcha!!

I don't need nobody to assist me. Like the first time, I have God to protect me.

I WILL STAND UP TO HIM!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Be careful.

Comment

Working...
                                X