Mental Illness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mental Illness

Does anyone know how MS affects mental illness?

I know they don't have alot of research but it seems it does affect them greatly due to nerve damage and the damage it does ot the various parts of the brain.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
      Does anyone know how MS affects mental illness?

I know they don't have alot of research but it seems it does affect them greatly due to nerve damage and the damage it does ot the various parts of the brain.
      MS, ALS, Parkinsons, or any Disease that affects the brain is just the same as any diabling disease that affects the body. A person goes through the same process of denial, acceptance, etc.

My late husband died of ALS which started in his brain unlike many others that starts in the spine. He didn't have or showed signs of Mental Illness. Infact, he was the one who kept our Ohana strong.

Mental Illness can become a problem when a patient becomes depressed. It is a form of Mental Illness.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

My husband's depression has gotten so much worse with MS it seems he may be having signs of mental illness.

The Dr. is convinced it is in my head but I don't think so.

He addresses the MS but not the other things.

Comment

My husband's depression has gotten so much worse with MS it seems he may be having signs of mental illness.

The Dr. is convinced it is in my head but I don't think so.

He addresses the MS but not the other things.
          Get him to be evaluated by a Psychiatrist asap.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Like Aunty Lynn says, please try to get him to see a mental health counselor asap. Chronic diseases not only can take a toll on the body but also the mind. The physician treating your husband for his MS obviously doesn't believe in wholistic medicine. But psychosomatic illnesses can sometimes manifest themselves physically and vice versa and only a trained professional can determine if a person needs help dealing with the emotional challenges that might arise when one is also physically challenged.

Have you seen this article on the MS Society website that talks about depression and MS? If you haven't maybe you and your husband can review it and pick up some helpful tips from it. There's no shame in being diagnosed with depression and seeking help for it. The alternative of being depressed and then doing something stupid is not acceptable when there are so many modalities that can be used to successfully treat the disorder.

Malama pono,
            Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

He went to a Psychiatrist and she put him on so many meds he sat in a chair all day and cried. Finally he got sick from all the meds and we found out on killed people so he gave up....

We use all the MS Society articles. He reads them every month.

He did get his violent outbursts under control but the depression is another factor.

Maybe we should try another mental health "professional" one that isn't so Candy happy!

The one med he is on now seems to work on the violence mostly, but I see subtle signs of the depressed side left.

Thanks for the information

Comment

He went to a Psychiatrist and she put him on so many meds he sat in a chair all day and cried. Finally he got sick from all the meds and we found out on killed people so he gave up....

We use all the MS Society articles. He reads them every month.

He did get his violent outbursts under control but the depression is another factor.

Maybe we should try another mental health "professional" one that isn't so Candy happy!

The one med he is on now seems to work on the violence mostly, but I see subtle signs of the depressed side left.

Thanks for the information
                Maybe you can contact the MS Society branch in Portland and ask them if they know of any psychiatrists who don't rely on drugs 100%? Or contact the National College of Naturopathic Medicine in Portland and maybe they can refer you to a naturopathic practitioner in your area. Sometimes, allopathic (Western) medicine is not the answer for all that ails a person. Or you might "prescreen" some other therapists to see what their prescription philosophy is (they should be able to tell you in a phone conversation). Does he get regular massage/acupuncture therapy? That helps relieve stress and tension and possibly some pain.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  Maybe you can contact the MS Society branch in Portland and ask them if they know of any psychiatrists who don't rely on drugs 100%? Or contact the National College of Naturopathic Medicine in Portland and maybe they can refer you to a naturopathic practitioner in your area. Sometimes, allopathic (Western) medicine is not the answer for all that ails a person. Or you might "prescreen" some other therapists to see what their prescription philosophy is (they should be able to tell you in a phone conversation). Does he get regular massage/acupuncture therapy? That helps relieve stress and tension and possibly some pain.

Miulang
                  I am calling them today thanks so much.

Comment

In today's Honolulu Advertiser http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...WS01/608290341

Notice at the bottom, the time line of June 2005. Exactly the same time Sharon Black did her Suicide Study and is now being charged of taking documents? The records will show by Emails and other documents, Sharon had permission from the ME staff as well as HPD. Infact, ME Staff assisted Sharon in her study!

Justice will Prevail.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                      In today's Honolulu Advertiser http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...WS01/608290341

Notice at the bottom, the time line of June 2005. Exactly the same time Sharon Black did her Suicide Study and is now being charged of taking documents? The records will show by Emails and other documents, Sharon had permission from the ME staff as well as HPD. Infact, ME Staff assisted Sharon in her study!

Justice will Prevail.

Auntie Lynn

AMEN! HPD was having her do the darn suicide study and kept pushing her to get more data for her report. Whack whacks to HPD and the ME!!

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy
                        AMEN! HPD was having her do the darn suicide study and kept pushing her to get more data for her report. Whack whacks to HPD and the ME!!
                        Tax Payers Money is being wasted Big time!

Retaliation against Sharon Black at the hightest degree is being taken by the very ones who are guilty of curruption themselves. In time, those who are guilty will be punished and incarcerated for the acts they have committed against Society.

In time. In time.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I know personally the results of whistle blowing
                          One of my first ever posts at HT (which has long been cleared out of the system by the HT gods) was regarding me doing some whistle blowing as a student government rep.

When a whistle blower finds evidence against a higher power...it can be very difficult... there was an article recently in one of the papers about whistle blowers....(can't find the link at the moment)

If Ms. Black is innocent.... my heart goes out to her for the pain that she must be going through by being publicly humiliated.

I have always believed that some one is innocent until proven guilty... She is Innocent legally at this point and the papers making so much noise about it sometimes makes it looks like shes guilty before the findings are final.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                            I have always believed that some one is innocent until proven guilty... She is Innocent legally at this point and the papers making so much noise about it sometimes makes it looks like shes guilty before the findings are final.
                            Manoa, Did you read the article? It shows the dates in which Sharon was doing her Suicide Report. The same report she is accused of taking Documents which are supposingly not to have been taken. Yet were taken because she was under strict orders to submit and turn in by said Deadline. A Report which employees of the ME department assisted her with.

Auntie Lynn
                            Last edited by 1stwahine; August 29, 2006, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              Manoa, Did you read the article? It shows the dates in which Sharon was doing her Suicide Report. The same report she is accused of taking Documents which are supposingly not to have been taken. Yet were taken because she was under strict orders to submit and turn in by said Deadline. A Report which employees of the ME department assisted her with.

Auntie Lynn
                              Yes I did read the article... however, I am not familiar with the case...

As you have said... SHE IS INNOCENT in the court of law at this time.... I believe in the end.... justice will prevail. (hopefully the whole system is not corrupt)

I feel very sorry for those that are wrongly accused.
                              I cannot not make personal judgements without hearing the facts in the case.

From knowing you personally....sheesh... of course I gonna think she's innocent beyond a reasonable doubt....

However, I'm just posting my thoughts on the situation and I don't have much knowledge on it. I wasn't even able to connect the article you posted.... to Ms. Black until it was blatantly re-wrote out!

I hope she is innocent... I don't know her personally... however, from the way I have read into things...it sounds like she's getting railroaded by the higher ups....

Manoa
                              Last edited by damontucker; August 29, 2006, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Never mind Manoa. Never mind. I juss heard on the News ~ the Football you like watch going play 63 hours starting in one hour.

Have FuN!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X