Dieting and Staying Healthy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dieting and Staying Healthy!

eric & i are having more active career/school lives this year, as reflected by the dearth of posts from us as of late. (been posting more this week bcs of spring break...and i'm up late right now bcs i'm in denial...) as a result, we've decided, for convenience, to do things like drink weight loss shakes accompanied by a fruit or yogurt or maybe a slice of whole wheat toast w/peanut butter (the kind you grind yourself at down to earth or safeway kapahulu's nut bar) for breakfast. we've also been buying a lot of the eating right brand frozen entrees from safeway and bringing those for lunch instead of buying from the caf at work or eating out.

the eating right entrees are pretty decent, esp when considering the price ($2.50 each). they taste better on average than healthy choice, lean cuisine, and other healthier frozen entrees. my favorites are the chicken poblano, the shrimp lingune with lemon garlic sauce & eric likes the linguine. don't get me wrong--they're never as good as home cooking (which we have less time for these days) but for $2.50 they're more than palatable. what's also nice is that they're not high in sodium, as many prepackaged foods that are relatively low in fat/calories can often be.

the portions are about 300 calories, and again, we supplement with a small salad, fruit, or yogurt. we've been eating this way for about six weeks and it's taught us portion control so that when we do eat out or at home, we eat smaller portions than we used to but feel satisfied. also, overall, we're eating way more fruits and veggies versus rice/pasta & fattier meats than we used to. we don't know how much weight we've lost exactly but clothing is getting looser. additionally, lumpy parts of our bodies that we don't want to be lumpy are visually less...lumpy.

the shakes are the safeway brand and cost $11 for two boxes containing six cans. we like the chocolate fudge flavor & the vanilla. since it's whey protein, it took a few days for our bodies to get past the errr...tooty side effects but we found eating yogurt more often helps that problem. we think the shakes, for what they are, have a nice balance of taste versus # of calories from fat versus # of calories from carbs versus vitamin/mineral payoff.

kanahina, if you want something rather chocolate milk-y, i'd suggest you try the safeway chocolate fudge weight loss shake, if you're so inclined. make sure it's ice cold, tho--it makes a difference in taste. it's actually rather enjoyable. sometimes eric & i will have that as an afternoon snack since it's about 170 calories.

we still eat chocolate, potato chips, and ice cream and even now we have a few bottles of sam adams honey porter in the fridge. but on average, we eat/drink less of the "junk" stuff than we used to. then again, we never were the type to eat a whole pint of hagen daz peanut butter chocolate ice cream in one sitting or drink a six pack in one afternoon between the two of us. also, our prior three-times a week skinny latte habit is long gone; when we were in portland, we picked up some bags of beans from stumptown roasters. we grind just enough for the week in our burr grinder and drink coffee from the fresh press maybe two, three times a week during our commute.

i guess overall, besides eating healthier, eating this way saves us money for other things down the line. so if there's ever a time when i look forlornly at my lunch (which is rare--work's been so busy that i often wait too long to eat and have to force myself not to gobble it down), it's easy for me to turn that frown upside down when i think about what we'll be doing later this year or next.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      K-den. Lemme see.

I just took Simvastatin.

And five odda medications.

I can hardly walk cause my neuropathy is acking up. But Life is GREAT!

I'm ALIVE!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn

auntie, statin drugs can cause muscle fatigue, achiness (spelling) and cramping. i know, been there done that. several other people i know have had the same problem. i could barely lift my arms to hang laundry. please talk to your doctor about switching to something else. my legs, too, were always tired.

karen, no yolks for me. made mom some egg salad the other day and wanted to have one of those sandwiches real bad. my doc says i can have ONE egg per month. what's the sense?! egg whites only doctored up with veggies, chili powder or cayenne pepper is something i've come to enjoy. garlic, garlic, garlic! yum!

cysaligia, i bought some cashew nut butter from safeway and boy did it seem salty?! for the amount you pay per pound at safeway, i'd just stick to down to earth where it's much cheaper. for me it's convenient to go to down to earth because our safeway in kailua doesn't have the nut bar yet.

you know what i really miss besides eggs? fried chicken, a greasy burger, portuguese sausage and hot dogs. i was just reading that thread about the hot dogs. ah, man, no can do!
      Last edited by kani-lehua; March 31, 2008, 08:59 AM.
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

kani-lehua,

You ever heard the song, "Tears of the Clown?" Well, das who I feel like most of the time nowadays.

I'm not well. And it's my fault.

I tipped the scales at 203 pounds this morning. Yes, all the symptoms you describe I feel. I can hardly walk so exercising is limited. I do enjoy and although it hurts, I practice Tai Chi and go every Monday to classes. I also take Plavix, Lithium, Topomax, Gabapentin, and Metoprolol. Add Tetracycline for the acne from stress and Amoxcillin for my sore tooth.

Walking Pharmacy, I am.

My dream of opening a restaurant is being shattered due to my current medical problem. I cry every night for a miracle. I will still be me....my mouth.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I know I have to make changes if I want to live. Problem is, I have a hard time keeping at it. It's nobody's fault but mine.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

auntie: honestly, please talk to your doc about the statin drug you are taking. also, i used to own a restaurant and that was no play in the park. getting up at 2am every morning and being at the restaurant by 4am nearly killed me and my relationships! after a year of having my okazu-ya, i finally sold it to another restaurant whose lease was being terminated. valuable experience gained, but i would never do it again. i was in the food business before for app. 6 years, but cannot disclose the name of the franchise because of a clause in the contract.
          "chaos reigns within.
          order shall return."

Comment

I will stop taking the Simvastatin. I will be taking blood tests (fasting) tomorrow and I'll ask to see my doctor. As for my restaurant. It's in my blood. My MAMA owned several in Chinatown. My children worked hard from the time they were teenagers. The only problem I see in running a restaurant again is giving away food.heheheh

My passion is to help the hungry and the homeless.

Reality. If my legs continue to deteriorate, than my dream dies.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
              I will stop taking the Simvastatin. I will be taking blood tests (fasting) tomorrow and I'll ask to see my doctor. As for my restaurant. It's in my blood. My MAMA owned several in Chinatown. My children worked hard from the time they were teenagers. The only problem I see in running a restaurant again is giving away food.heheheh

My passion is to help the hungry and the homeless.

Reality. If my legs continue to deteriorate, than my dream dies.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn

good to hear! but, i think i had to wean myself off of the statins that i took. then start the other supposed cholesterol lowering medication.

i can relate to you regarding the hungry and the homeless. my weakness is for animals. all eight of mine (was nine) are adopted. oh, boy! we go through some serious dog food.
              "chaos reigns within.
              order shall return."

Comment

[quote=kani-lehua;189774]auntie, statin drugs can cause muscle fatigue, achiness (spelling) and cramping. i know, been there done that. several other people i know have had the same problem. i could barely lift my arms to hang laundry. please talk to your doctor about switching to something else. my legs, too, were always tired.

I noticed that about arms since I started taking simvastatin a few months ago, my legs are okay though. I go to see my doctor next Monday so I will be asking him to change my medication. I never quite tied the two together so thanks for the info.

Comment

[quote=D'Alani;189811]
                  Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                  auntie, statin drugs can cause muscle fatigue, achiness (spelling) and cramping. i know, been there done that. several other people i know have had the same problem. i could barely lift my arms to hang laundry. please talk to your doctor about switching to something else. my legs, too, were always tired.

I noticed that about arms since I started taking simvastatin a few months ago, my legs are okay though. I go to see my doctor next Monday so I will be asking him to change my medication. I never quite tied the two together so thanks for the info.
                  yes. it's supposedly a "rare" side effect. but, i don't think so. the statins did a number on both my arms and legs. i think it took about 2 months before i started feeling better. it's just too coincidental that 4 people in my immediate circle could have had the muscle fatigue and then to feel better once they were off the statins. also, my original doctor did not believe me so i ended up getting a second opinion.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  order shall return."

Comment

I forgot.

What's the difference between Simvastatin and Plavix?

Auntie Lynn

Comment

'PLAVIX is indicated for patients with recent heart attack, recent stroke, or poor circulation in the legs, known as peripheral arterial disease."

simvastatin would be used to help lower your cholesterol.
                      "chaos reigns within.
                      order shall return."

Comment

heheheh

Mahalo kani-lehua!

I wuz too lazy to google earlier.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Auntie, you might start lieing on the floor, a mat or something and doing leg raises and if not too sore, next few days do more and more of them till you strengthen the legs and can even put an ankle weight around them and do leg raises with that. careful! just a tad of weight, the 3lb'er first, and over mos...slowly and carefully work up.

You can do one position of raises where you lie flat on your back, but if you do....always!! keep the knee bent and up in the air...the knee of the leg you are NOT doing raises with. (this saves the back...never keep both legs flat on the floor and do leg raises with one leg) I hope that didn't sound confusing. (then you can lie on your side and raise them in the air, toe pointed up and that works the inside thighs excellently, the whole leg a little and then rear very well, lol)

Anyway, I'll say a prayer or ten for you. You are a sweet soul and Chinatown or anywhere on this rock would be dang blessed if you opened an eatery, so hang in there.

About our diets and cholesterol....I also drink a couple of teaspoons of raw, unpasteurized Apple Cider vinegar in juice or even my green tea...once if not twice a day most days. The way vinegar used to clean out my mom's "Mr. Coffe" maker I bet it sure helps to clean us out.

I eat raw garlic five days a week, well sorry, three last week cuz I fell in love with shallots and they are stronger than big onions and so one or two shallots a day surely is blessing this bod. I lost 23lbs....with about 25 yet to go, and my BP is 110/75 yet I am 51 and right now weight 160 or just a half pound less.

This onion and garlic, and eating so much raw salad, huge ones for dinner surely is helping a lot cuz heredity does matter and I look a lot like my daddy, same hands, legs, veins, etc....and he died of heart disease at 59, and before that, when he was the age I am now he already had BP of 160, approx....

I like to think that...."raw food is alive, cooked food is dead" to help keep me in line. Do I splurge? heck yes.....like homemade, from scratch, gourmet carrot cake my daughter made...I indulged but not every day.

lastly, I am an exercise hypocrite~ lol....I have an eliptical but get too busy to use it except for on its highest setting and I then use it for eight minutes as a muscle builder and then use my universal weight machine for upper body.

I know better! I know that aerobics remains the most important type of exercise.
                          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                            This onion and garlic, and eating so much raw salad, huge ones for dinner surely is helping a lot cuz heredity does matter and I look a lot like my daddy, same hands, legs, veins, etc....and he died of heart disease at 59, and before that, when he was the age I am now he already had BP of 160, approx....

i hear you! my father died at the age of 46 from heart disease. for me, it's also hereditary. both sides of the family have it and high cholesterol. my problem is trying to stay away from salt. it's in everything! but, what i've found out that when i try to go low, low, low sodium, i start getting cramps in my feet. as much as possible, i do try to keep it as low as possible.
                            "chaos reigns within.
                            order shall return."

Comment

[QUOTE=kani-lehua;189812]
                              Originally posted by D'Alani View Post

yes. it's supposedly a "rare" side effect. but, i don't think so. the statins did a number on both my arms and legs. i think it took about 2 months before i started feeling better. it's just too coincidental that 4 people in my immediate circle could have had the muscle fatigue and then to feel better once they were off the statins. also, my original doctor did not believe me so i ended up getting a second opinion.
                              The "rare" side effect they are talking about in those statin warnings is not just muscle aches and pains although those aches could be a warning sign of rhabdomyolysis. Rhabdo is the destruction of cells that can lead to kidney failure and even death.

We see it in crush injuries and cases where patients have been "down" and immobile for extended periods of time. The cells are destroyed and release huge amounts of toxins that the kidneys just can't handle. Electrolyte imbalances, cardiac arrhythmias and renal failure are just a few of the complications of rhabdo.

Scary stuff.

Comment

Karen, thank you dear for your suggestions. Thank you all. I just pau Tai Chi practice. I enjoy it very much. My legs are sore when I start but I focus and the pain goes away. It's called finding my center.

I have an exercising machine for my leg and a roll one too. The problem is I'm not consistent. I'm so bad. I'm my worst enemy.

As for foods. I love to cook and I love to eat. My opu has a mind of it's own. I no kid you. When I go see my doctor, I am going to ask for diet pills. I have no other alternative at this time. Either that or sew my mouth shut.

It's that bad.

I'm not asking for pity. No. Just the opposite. I am horribly over weight.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X