Hurricane Flossie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Storm Systems

There is a lot of rain in this system. Lots of prayers for all HT friends on the Big Island. Hopefully, everyone will just get really soaked and not blown around.
    Last edited by glossyp; February 27, 2008, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
      Would it feel any less oppressively humid if the name were Hawaiianized? What would the Hawaiianized version of Flossie be, anyway -- Puloki?

har har. You wait until all of those "FEMA flubs as all efforts are foiled by Flossie" fi-fai-fou-fam sh*t starts happening...

it didn't have to be Hawaiian...coulda been Franco or Ferdinand or Filroy for all I care...but Flossie? Feh!

pax

Comment

My dad is making an emergency trip to our Discovery Harbour house to board up the windows. I just spent a good hour loading up his truck with wood.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Aaron, tell your dad to allow breezeway through the house; without it the pressure building within the house will rip the roof off. (I might not be explaining myself clearly, but hopefully you understand my point).

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
            I just spent a good hour loading up his truck with wood.
            That doesn't sound like a good hour to me.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              Aaron, tell your dad to allow breezeway through the house; without it the pressure building within the house will rip the roof off. (I might not be explaining myself clearly, but hopefully you understand my point).
              I spoke to my dad, he was aware of the compression factor. He doesn't have enough lumber anyway to board up all the windows.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                That doesn't sound like a good hour to me.
                No it wasn't. He stopped at Home Depot and bought lumber there and had some backup lumber at our Kona house. Which I had to load into his truck.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

The 5pm advisory (22) is out for Flossie. Comparing the 11am (#21), the 2pm (#21A) and 5pm (#22) advisories you get:

1. Eye location lat./long. - 15.3N 150.6W (#21) 15.6N 151.5W (#21A) 15.9N 152.0W (#22)
                  2. distance from Hilo - 425 miles SE (#21) 365 miles SE (#21A) 330 miles SE (#22)
                  3. distance from Honolulu - 635 miles SE (#21) 570 miles SE (#21A) 535 miles SE (#22)

Comment

The thing clearly is going more northwesterly and the five PM bulletin does say that even past Kauai she'll be really northwestern. It'll be really cool to see the local weather people decipher what is written and tell how much closer to the islands she's going. I look at the UH radar map and clearly see it more northwesterly and yet reading the latest bulletin they still say no closer then, is it eighty miles south of the BI?

Praying especially for BI folks, for you, your critters and loved ones but also for your roofs, homes, autos and everything peripheral.

Y'all remember even here on Oahu to catch as much water for things like toilet flushing, that you can. Even your recyclable, blue bin if it isn't grossly dirty, can be filled with water and with a pitcher or something you can draw enough for each flush. I'm not convinced that even Oahu here may not lose power, and or have water/sewer infrastructure problems with this thing supposed to still be 100MPH when south of us, and now it's veering more northwesterly.
                    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

well here in kelakekua bay we seem to be all prepared.....just how prepared can you be......they are saying 40 to 70 mph winds predicted...especially from puna to kau......i have 10 sheets of plywood ready to go up first thing in the morn if the new track at that time dictates that kind of safeguard. the civil defense hasnt posted anything since 12noon. i wish they would post something hourly just so you get a feel that they are on top of things... i know a lot of stuff goes on behind the scenes....but how hard is it to update a web page?....the NOAA site has been a great source of regular info... the radio just puts out what CD posts and that is only broadcast every hour or so.......the bay is totally calm...but i am sure that will change overnite. they say to have all boats secured by dark..... i imagine that several of the larger boats that dont fit in the harbor will take shelter at capt cook monument..however i dont know how protected that willlbe with the storm tracking from the south like it is......lets hope and pray for the best...
                      steve
                      the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

The looping satellite image at this link is worthy of a "Holy sheeeeet!".

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The Department Of Human Services Hawaii Public Housing Authority issued a Flyer to ALL RESIDENTS this afternoon!

It informed residents of Flossie and what to do. It also stated HPHA is not responsible for personal items and welfare. Each resident is advised to initiate their own personal emergency plan. It encouraged the residents in a list of things to do.

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            The looping satellite image at this link is worthy of a "Holy sheeeeet!".
                            That is the same thing I thought this afternoon when I looked at the updated satellite images. It is huge sucker.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

I'm hoping for enough wind and rain to cancel work, but not enough to do any real damage.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'm absolutely taken aback by the ambivalence, not to mention the lack of awareness, about this storm. Of the 5 or 6 residents I've spoken with in the elevators at Discovery Bay today, NONE had an ounce of concern, one had no knowledge. The bank teller wasn't aware of a hurricane. The sales associates at City Mill around noon seemed unconcerned, possibly 'cuz the store wasn't crowded with people stocking up. The adrenaline hadn't hit yet!

I just bought some bright red duct tape for the windows. It won't stop the windows from imploding but whatever's left of the glass I can at least spell out..."Stranded, drop wine"!

I just found out my Waikiki condo has no hurricane coverage...this after I've been bugging the insurance company (of 20 years) since early May to send me the policy. In July they told me they had no record of my requests so I, once again, told them what I wanted...NOW! I am NOT a happy camper right now and once this storm passes I will be looking for another insurance company...provided companies are still insuring in Hawaii!

Hunker down and stay safe, Big Islanders. Things can be replaced. People can't. Tikiyaki...are you in Hilo now?

Comment

Working...
                                X