Killing the He`eia cats and kittens.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killing the He`eia cats and kittens.

I was informed tonight, under cover, that the State has plans to trap and "dispose of" the colony of cats that have accumulated at He`eia.

The excuse, from an HU biologist that certain "mites" from the felines are endangering the already endangered sea turtles. A noble goal, certainly.

But what of the cats? Are they to be anesthetized and cast into the Humane Society furnace???? There is over 100 cats.

What else? There is talk of moving them to another site (Aiea Loop Trail is a GOOD solution, it's out of the littoral area, and no threat to turtles, and there's room!

Would our state take the compassionate way out? I doubt.

I am preparing to take one cat home, after disease scanning, and make her one of my 'outside cats,' but I don't know how much time I have.

Menehune Man, 'Ray" says he knows you - he is in on the plan. I refrain from mentioning his full name: it's not his fault.

Does anyone besides me care?

Do you care enough to do something?

Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Killing the He`eia cats and kittens.

The horrible and sad reality, which is a result of HUMANS not being responsible for their animals/pets, is that, for example:

The Hawaiian Humane Society receives more than 30,000 animals a year. Pet overpopulation is indeed a reality—and includes a wide spectrum of animals from the sick to the healthy.
    In FY 2011, 6,835 feral cats were euthanized because they were brought to us as unwanted animals and we found them unsuitable for placement with families. We do not trap and euthanize feral animals or wildlife. However, thousands of cats are brought to us by the community.
    It would be out-of-the-ordinary to "relocate" a feral cat population. How do you catch them and humanly relocate and monitor them [the state is not going to pay for that, the taxpayers would go wild], where do you release them [don't visit one man's problem on to another's man property], and environmentally it is usually not a good idea to set loose 100 soon-to-be-hungry stray cats in an area. Besides the problem that they are unhealthy with mites (??), where could those cats go that would be be an mite-danger to wild birds, etc.

Perhaps the way to prevent the killing of the feral cats is to try to work on "fixing the problem" that the cats are causing for the turtles. I'd be interested learning more about mites (??) in sea turtle populations.

I am very sympathetic to your concerns, and I have volunteered for various feral cat projects. Have you contacted the various feral-cat rescue (trap/spay/release/monitor) groups on Oahu?
    Last edited by Amati; February 9, 2013, 07:43 PM.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I am in touch with other rescue/adopt people, but the problem is overwhelming.

All the non -kill shelters are already overloaded, as are their managers.

PetCo is displaying cats for adoption, and doing well, but it's a drop in the bucket.

All cats for adoption are neutered, but irresponsible people let the numbers grow. The military is a large problem, as when they relocate to the mainland, the military gives them no options for their pets, so it's "out of pocket" or 'dump them at He`eia.' (I may be misinformed, please consider that.)

Over 100 cats at He`eia now. I think a mite that can migrate from cats to turtles is BS, an excuse to remove and kill the cats already there.

Yes, that's right. KILL, not the PC term 'euthanize.' Euthanization is a process by which a person or other animal dying or in pain is put out of its misery. Many of these cats are friendly, healthy, and ready for loving homes - just needing health checkups, vaccinations and a chance at life.

YES! THERE ARE TOO MANY CATS ON O`AHU, so what do we do now? Does anyone else care?
      ~ ~

Comment

Maybe if they were called homeless cats instead of feral cats people would be more willing to adopt them? I have a sweet friend who is very active with Cat Friends. She'll drive out to a Waianae valley, alone, in the middle of the night to trap, pick up or return feral cats. She nurses them back to health, post neuter/spaying or any other illness. She's ended up in the hospital with cat scratch fever more than once. Devoted doesn't even begin to explain her. I have other friends who have adopted those cats. You're right, Kaonohi...the problem is overwhelming.

Comment

Sept 2012 :
          An estimated 10,000 cats and a "few thousand" dogs are euthanized each year at the Hawaiian Humane Society on Oahu.
          This does not even include the animals killed on neighbor islands.

Nationally:
          The HSUS estimates that animal shelters care for 6-8 million dogs and cats every year in the United States, of whom approximately 3-4 million are euthanized.
          Yes, Kaonohi, there are others of us here who do care. I work with a group that does a spay/neuter/release/maintain program, as well as helping with fundraising for organized groups. It is disturbing to learn how overwhelming the situation of feral animals is, but you know, as a society we don't always even do right by other humans who are in need.
          Last edited by Amati; February 10, 2013, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
            The horrible and sad reality, which is a result of HUMANS not being responsible for their animals/pets, is that, for example:?
            At this point, there are so many stray cats roaming around the island that, realistically, there's no way to round-up the entire feral population and to spay/neuter each one. Attempts can be made to dragnet all the loose cats that can be found.... but all it takes are a few cats who escape detection, and then the process of overpopulation will eventually rear its ugly head again. And all the resources and energy that went into the dragnet effort will have been for naught. IOW, trying to come up with a solution that involves sparing the life of each and every cat is futile.

For those who think euthanizing unwanted cats is terrible, let me state here that THAT fate is better than a cat living a life "cared" for by some misguided cat lady, who may take in each and every furry friend that she finds,.... but proceeds to lock them up in a small cage with dozens of other cats, and live the rest of their years in filthy conditions. Or eke out an existence in the streets, where they could get sick, injured, run over by a car, or suffer some other long and painful death.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Yep, having a terrible and abusive "home" for a cat/dog is not a humane situation, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                Menehune Man, 'Ray" says he knows you - he is in on the plan. I refrain from mentioning his full name: it's not his fault.
                Yes, I know Ray from my days working out of Heeia Kea Boat Harbor.
                He's a good guy!

I'm not into animals as pets or feral ones either.
                I do believe that there are WAY too many on island so...
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Here's the # for Ms. Baker, the official Kat Lady, she helps find homes for needy kitties... 927-4074
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    IOW, trying to come up with a solution that involves sparing the life of each and every cat is futile.

For those who think euthanizing unwanted cats is terrible, let me state here that THAT fate is better than a cat living a life "cared" for by some misguided cat lady, who may take in each and every furry friend that she finds,.... but proceeds to lock them up in a small cage with dozens of other cats, and live the rest of their years in filthy conditions. Or eke out an existence in the streets, where they could get sick, injured, run over by a car, or suffer some other long and painful death.
                    I know you are right, Frankie. I have 'cared for' up to five cats at a time, but I live in the country where they are free to roam; I give them good food and keep them healthy with regular Vet visits.

Perhaps many of these He`eia cats will need to be euthanized.

Important to realize that this is not a 'cat problem;' it's a people problem. People obtain kittens, and when it's inconvenient, they don't bring them to the HHS, but drop them off somewhere to fend for themselves. Most get worms or suffer from other cat diseases, some few prosper, fed by people like me in order to keep the bird population stable.

There is talk of imposing fines on people who abandon animals - of course, you have to catch them.

Many, if not most of these animals, began life as a companion animal. A friend who loved and trusted its owner. To be abandoned in this way is the worst betrayal - a sociopathic act.
                    Last edited by Kaonohi; February 12, 2013, 01:28 PM.
                    ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      Important to realize that this is not a 'cat problem;' it's a people problem. People obtain kittens, and when it's inconvenient, they don't bring them to the HHS, but drop them off somewhere to fend for themselves. Most get worms or suffer from other cat diseases, some few prosper, fed by people like me in order to keep the bird population stable.
                      Thus the Spay/Neuter/Release/Maintain programs, where the cats are spayed/neutered to prevent reproduction, released but then also MAINTAINED, so that the cats have daily food.

Even with all the organizations and individuals that currently work on the problem, it is just a drop in the bucket, because there are so many irresponsible animal owners who will dump off their unwanted cats and dogs in a parking lot, field, park, etc.

Comment

What would Bob Barker do?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          What would Bob Barker do?
                          I've heard his organization helps support the spay/neuter programs in Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                            I've heard his organization helps support the spay/neuter programs in Hawaii.
                            Directions would be helpful.

In fact, ANY suggestions would be helpful!!!!
                            ~ ~

Comment

Regarding Bob Barker, I hope he is still alive. If so, he might actually be able to help somehow. Mercy to animals is dear to his heart, he might have the connections and access to funding to help save the cats.

Comment

Working...
                              X