Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kau Kau Wagon Pizza Fundraiser

Aloha All

As many of you know the Kau Kau Wagon has been trying to raise funds to cover basic cost of operations. Not an easy thing for us because we are 100% volunteer operated. We are in serious need of storage and many other items that will help us to operate and continue doing the community service we love.

Antonio's Pizza has volunteered to help us out by providing a coupon
    for their pizza with proceeds that would go to us.
    And its really great pizza too! lol

Every coupon that is used will help us out and you get you a great pizza!

Mahalo Big time! From all of us at Kau Kau Wagon
    Any other fund raising suggestion are also welcomed.

Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: Kau Kau Wagon Pizza Fundraiser

Is the KauKau wagon the same as Meals on Wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
      Is the KauKau wagon the same as Meals on Wheels?
      No Cyleet99. KauKau Wagon was started by Sharon Black over twenty years ago. We feed the Homeless and the Hungry every Saturday except the last on the corner of Bethel and Hotel Street. Actually, the little park. It's now named after one Chinese man. We're there approx. at 1:15 p.m. till all the kaukau is gone.

KauKau Wagon services has grown. See Web Site.
      http://kaukauwagon.com/default.aspx

Meals On Wheels is another Non Profit Agency.
      They deliver Meals to the elderly and handicap.
      http://www.mealcall.org/meals-on-wheels/hi/honolulu.htm

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
      Last edited by 1stwahine; March 24, 2008, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Mahalo plenty, Aunty.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
          Mahalo plenty, Aunty.
          We have a thread with "Re: Health Department: Sayonara, Sandwiches!"
          http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...u+Wagon&page=9

Get pictures and ukapila stories about KauKau Wagon!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Auntie, is the Kaukau Wagon a 501c3 non-profit organization? If so it could possibly qualify for grants from the Federal Government.

I would also suggest that efforts should be made to make your own commercial kitchen as a business venture under a separate name, set a lease agreement with the Kau Kau Wagon to lease commercial kitchen use under a community service agreement, write that community use off as a charitable donation to the Kau Kau Wagon.

This doesn't create income for the Kau Kau Wagon. The way you do create it is to make that commercial kitchen a profit making venture by leasing it out to others who need a certifiied commercial kitchen to produce goods required by the Department of Health. Income generated by those leases after operational costs could then be donated to the Kau Kau Wagon.

If the commercial kitchen's business is an enterprise then the owner of that business can write off that donation as a charitable deduction.

I have seen other non-profits create a "for-profit" company used for fundraising efforts. The important issue here is to make sure the "for-profit" business has separate bookeeping to keep the "for-profit" income separated from the "non-profit" income for tax purposes.

You may want to consult a good CPA or tax lawyer about this venture.
            Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 24, 2008, 02:13 PM.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig, I know Sharon received Non Profit Status. I emailed her and will let you know.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                Craig, I know Sharon received Non Profit Status. I emailed her and will let you know.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
                There's so much money out there for Grants, it's just a matter of being able to find a good grantwriter. There are classes on how to write grants.

Car washes are one thing, so are selling coupons for pizza, but the way to really bring in some big money is thru grants.

Another way is to create a "Friends of Kau Kau wagon" organization where dues can be paid by those who want to contribute. They get a charitable donation receipt and the satisfaction of being in an organization by dues alone. With the right marketing, how could anyone resist modest membership dues whose association helps Hawaii's needy.

Also being a 501c3 charitable organization, those who need to provide community service to facilitate their scholarship program (such as KSBE's scholarships), can do volunteer community service work with the Kau Kau wagon. Work with KSBE and other organizations such as Alu Like for community service workers to help the Kau Kau Wagon's daily operations.

And now that First Hawaiian Bank has created it's own charitable arm, you can also solicit FHB for charitable donations directly. Plus if AUW is true to their words, as a 501c3 organization AUW donors can request the Kau Kau Wagon thru AUW's donor choice program.

There's many ways to fundraise, however these suggestions are ways to fundraise big and consistantly. Remember in fundraising the key word here is "Sustainability" in order to plan for the long term with any outreach program.

Comment

Per Sharon:

Yes we are and we need help to learn how to apply for those grants.
                  We just got it last year. I tried for a few but so far no luck.
                  We have to keep trying because we need a kitchen and storage real badly of our own. Right now the current situation is all our stuff is in several places and some of it is not secured. Losing things, and things getting broke. It's been a real challenge and hardship. But we are all about HOPE.

Comment

Some colleges offer grant writing classes so I'd start there.

I strongly suggest instead of putting a commercial kitchen under the auspices of a non-profit, make it a for-profit business and like I said, lease it back to the non-profit as community service and take the lease as a charitable deduction. Take the business and lease it to other companies in need of commercial kitchen requirements and use some of those lease profit income as a donation to the non-profit.

Comment

Daggg can't sign in. Forgot my password again. lol
                      Age can be a real challenge!

I did get to read the post by Watanabe. I did do the application with AUW. I was really annoyed after going through the classes and making several calls to get assistance to comply with the detailed requirements. Before I turned it in, I was told it was correct. A few weeks later I was told in writing it was not complete. I have donated to this agency for over 20 yrs. I was really annoyed at the time I consumed to try and get this done the way they wanted it. Anyway, I tried and I spoke with the person in charge of this. I was told to try again next year. Most likely I will not. BUT it's NOT all negative. They did list our agency on the volunteer site and that has been helpful.

We will continue to try and find ways that can work for us. A grant writer would be a dream come true for us. And yes, I will take more classes to learn as much as I can when I can.

Sharon Black

Comment

Have you tried the Hawaii Community Foundation?

http://www.hawaiicommunityfoundation.org/

They provide some assistance to grant seekers/non-profits including a list of available grants, information on the process and, I believe, some training in how to apply for grants. Hopefully they will be able to provide some assistance for you.

Comment

Craig: Here is an article about the incubator kitchen at Pacific Gateway Center that Kau Kau Wagon currently rents space from. http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...608140338.html

It sounds similar to what you were mentioning in your comments. Like Sharon said, we have had supplies/food "disappear" that are stored in several places (including there) and it would be nice to have a place of our own.

Today is April 1st....time to start using the Kau Kau Wagon coupons at Antonio's Pizzeria. It's the best New York style pizza with locations in Kahala (across from the mall) and in Pearl City (on Kam Hwy. near Diego's Tacos). We should also be doing a fundraiser soon with Macy's so we will be keeping the board posted with Auntie's help!

For those of you that would like to help, please make extra copies of the coupons and give them out to friends/relative and/or email them out. We have til April 15th to get them used. Mahalo!!!

Comment

Gosh, I wrote a long detailed reply but then was told I was not logged on (I was) and it was lost. I'll try again, and keep it short this time.
                            I work with two mainland groups (I travel for work), and my employer donates goods. I've learned that networking with others that share a common interest can bring opportunities for funding and donations (such as books for schools and libraries, etc). You might try to connect with other groups on Oahu that work with feeding the homeless, or something similar. Perhaps some inventive Googling, like: Oahu+homeless grant, Oahu+nutrition grant, Oahu+feeding the hungry grant, etc, and look to see who is currently getting funding. Contact them for advice and perhaps to join their network of other like-minded organizations.

Another workable approach is to go after a very small community grant, and use those funds to hire a professional grant writer to go after bigger grants. That tactic is commonly used for the development of small organizations and groups.

Good luck!
                            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Auntie Pupule, if the Kau Kau Wagon is looking to attract more attention I would be more than happy to offer you folks a link spot on my food blog to help create awareness!
                              Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Working...
                              X