Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jook Recipe by Pomai

Originally posted by Pomai
    Jook (also called "Chook" and Congee) SNIP! I thank my calabash Chinese aunt for teaching me how to make this. ~ Pomai

Pomai:
    I thank you for this. When I got my first civilian job here in Hawaii at Kaiser Permanente, the computer services department planned for Jook the Monday after Thanksgiving. We were all tasked with an ingredient. I was assigned dried orange peel, which I found at Times Beretania (had or still has a pretty good ethnic food section). They set up a crock pot with all the ingredients in the morning and by lunchtime we were all ready. It was wonderful. I think this is a meal that tastes best when enjoyed with many others.

I plan on printing out your recipe and saving it for this fall.

Mahalo, Pomai!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Re: HT Recipes: Soup

Kahalu'u_Chrome: One story about my "oyoso" cooking method I have a non-local friend who cooks a lot. She cooks dishes that use rice so I figured she knew how rice expands when tossed into things like soup. I made jook and she asked for the recipe. I told her ~ boil turkey bones, etc. etc. and then throw in some washed, uncooked rice. I figured she would know about how much. hee! It came out like rice pilaf but thicker. She cut the batch in half and froze the half, poured in more water and it thickened up again. She cut that batch in half and froze half, etc. It became our joke. The neverending pot of jook. She was giving it away to anyone who would take a chunk and still had some frozen in her freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
        Kahalu'u_Chrome: One story about my "oyoso" cooking method I have a non-local friend who cooks a lot. She cooks dishes that use rice so I figured she knew how rice expands when tossed into things like soup. I made jook and she asked for the recipe. I told her ~ boil turkey bones, etc. etc. and then throw in some washed, uncooked rice. I figured she would know about how much. hee! It came out like rice pilaf but thicker. She cut the batch in half and froze the half, poured in more water and it thickened up again. She cut that batch in half and froze half, etc. It became our joke. The neverending pot of jook. She was giving it away to anyone who would take a chunk and still had some frozen in her freezer.
        LOL---kinda like sourdough starter..

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
          Any brand will do. I usually buy Redondo's because of the size. However, for taste I prefer Gouveia's!

Let me know how your Soup came out.

Auntie Lynn
          I made it today!! FANTASTIC!!

I used the Redondo's sausage, mild. I cut down a bit on the cilantro because I'm not a big fan of cilantro.

Couldn't get ham hocks but I remembered Kahalu'u Chrome's suggestion about the ham shanks and was able to get them. Lotsa nice meat on those shanks, too.

Thanks for the recipe, Auntie! It's definitely a keeper!

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
            Couldn't get ham hocks but I remembered Kahalu'u Chrome's suggestion about the ham shanks and was able to get them. Lotsa nice meat on those shanks, too.
            I can't imagine PBS tasting authentic without smoked ham hocks. Surely it'll taste great, but not the same. But then again, I'm just nitpicking.

Heck, as long as you have a nice and hearty slice of bread with thick spread of butter or margarine to go with it, it's ALL GOOD!

RN, I bet your ohana is very happy to help you finish the pot!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I just saved both of these recipes. I usually make a small batch of Jook for New Year's eve/day so will have to wait for that one. But, the PBS will be made soon! I love to eat soup & Foodland makes those really good La Brea baguettes that will be very good with it, of course with lots of butter!

I can almost taste it now...................
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                I can't imagine PBS tasting authentic without smoked ham hocks. Surely it'll taste great, but not the same. But then again, I'm just nitpicking.

Heck, as long as you have a nice and hearty slice of bread with thick spread of butter or margarine to go with it, it's ALL GOOD!

RN, I bet your ohana is very happy to help you finish the pot!
                It's only me and my husband. He doesn't touch any food containing tomato products. Actually, he is very much an Irish meat-and-potato person, and I am very much not. Well, maybe ethnically, but not gastronomically.

I am going to freeze the soup in small batches. I do this with a lot of things I make---I have a problem making small pots of anything, from spaghetti sauce to stews. I think I was a mess hall cook in a former life. So I just freeze the food in meal-size containers and have a big selection of little treasures for the future.

The ham shanks were smoked, BTW. IMHO, they tasted pretty much the same as smoked hocks, which I often use for my pea soup---maybe a bit more meat on them, too. And I got the bread and butter----all good!

Comment

I just realized you used the word "authentic," Pomai.

Of course I wouldn't know what "authentic" tastes like, as far as Portuguese Bean Soup goes.

But I do recognize "delicious" when I taste it

This is good stuff. I am pigging out, even as we speak.

Comment

Smoked Ham Hocks or Smoked Ham Shanks makes an authentic Port. Bean Soup!

I'm glad you're enjoying it WindwardOahuRN!!!!

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Thanks Auntie Lynn. I have used a variation of your recipe two times and two times good. I started up the recipe not realizing I was missing ingredients. So I had to make do with what I could find.

I kept forgetting to come on and thank you for your post!
                      just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
                        Thanks Auntie Lynn. I have used a variation of your recipe two times and two times good. I started up the recipe not realizing I was missing ingredients. So I had to make do with what I could find.

I kept forgetting to come on and thank you for your post!
                        You are very welcome jkpescador! This weather is great foa Portagee Bean Soup! I gotta make a pot soon too....with bread and lots of butta!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                          This weather is great foa Portagee Bean Soup! I gotta make a pot soon too....with bread and lots of butta!

Auntie Lynn
                          Sounds onolicious, Auntie L. My best soup recipe usually involves a can opener and a microwave

We're going to Foodland right now, and I just came back here to reread this thread and write out the ingredients for your podagee bean soup. We're going to make some tonight for my ohana's usual Sunday potluck. I don't know what "ham hocks" are though. Either does my wife. Maybe someone at the grocery store will know.

I can't wait to take all the credit for your recipe when everyone asks where we learned to make this. Nah, jus joke. We'll give you all da credit

Comment

pork udon soup

this is a recipe i got from a friend, it was told orally to me, so its mostly to taste. ive also made some adjustments, feel free to add your own.

4 packs udon
                            4 cans chicken broth
                            garlic
                            1/2-1 lb pork shoulder
                            shoyu
                            vietnamese hot sauce
                            fish sauce
                            salt and pepper
                            spinach
                            1 egg

fry garlic and pork (cut into small pieces) in a little bit of oil, with seasoning to taste.
                            add chicken broth, bring to boil. add fish sauce, vietnamese hot sauce to taste.
                            add chopped spinach, break egg into soup, stir.
                            add udon before serving.
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                              I can't wait to take all the credit for your recipe when everyone asks where we learned to make this. Nah, jus joke. We'll give you all da credit
                              Dear Marco, A recipe becomes yours ~ just play/add to it and it becomes your own. You made it...so you take the credit!

Love and Aloha

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Oxtail Soup

Parboil oxtails, clean and cut off fat. Put in large pot with lots of water, sliced ginger, raw peanuts, dried dates, star anise, 1 stalk celery and 1/2 onion. May add dash sake, hondashi. Some people add a can of beef broth. Cook until meat falls off the bone, take out celery, onion and anise. Actually, I use a crockpot and let it cook overnight.

Ladle into bowl and top with cilantro, green onions, water chestnuts, baby corn, whatever. Serve with grated ginger and shoyu for dipping.

Comment

Working...
                                X