Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Char siu manapua preferences
Steamed 38 59.38%
Baked 7 10.94%
Bi-manapua (50%/50%) 2 3.13%
Bi-manapua but prefer steamed 3 4.69%
Bi-manapua but prefer baked 6 9.38%
Not sure but buy both of them to test out 1 1.56%
Not really sure, need further testing, buy 2-3 each 5 7.81%
Where the Spam Musubi poll? 2 3.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 17th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Ali`i

Default Da HawaiiThreads Manapua Poll

Just conducting a tongue-in-cheek poll here. While I admit that I am bi-manapua person myself I do tend to lean toward baked at times.
Old April 17th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Da HawaiiThreads Manapua Poll

Chun Wah Kam over on Kalihi Street offers mini-manapuas by special order. These little guys are about the size of a San Francisco char siu bao, not like the jumbo-sized monsters that Hawaii manapua have become. I always liked 'em for bringing a box to work, because if you bring regular-sized ones all the dieters don't want to eat a whole manapua themselves and end up cutting 'em in half.
Old April 17th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Ali`i

I just don't like the stuff at all. I shudder to think what some of that "meat" is some places put in it.
Old April 18th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Get plenny kine manapua out there. I've recently come across a pizza manapua. Pizzapua? Anyway, it was about as good as you might expect (i.e. not that good). I'm an old fashioned guy, I guess... steamed with char siu. Nothing fancy, just tasty.

Still, Albert, you're right... some things we're better off not knowing. I've been eating lunch with a Chinatown guru, and after hearing the stories he's got for nearly every restaurant and store down there, I'm not sure if I'm ever going to eat in the area again. (Oh, of course I am.) As for mystery meat?

Well, my wife likes to call 'em meow-napua...
Old April 18th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Ali`i

Heh! Ever see the Sondheim musical, Sweeney Todd? It gives a completely new meaning to "mystery meat".
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:50 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon
Get plenny kine manapua out there. I've recently come across a pizza manapua. Pizzapua?
Was this from a place in Aiea? I remember at one usenet gathering a few years ago someone brought that. I didn't remember the name other than it was located in Aiea.
Old May 21st, 2004, 04:22 PM
Keiki

What i'd really like to see is a Manapuasada - a deep-fried manapua. Fresh out of the fryer - I think everyone would want to buy this. And it would be doubly local.
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:17 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchai
What i'd really like to see is a Manapuasada - a deep-fried manapua. Fresh out of the fryer - I think everyone would want to buy this. And it would be doubly local.
And wrap 'em in Nori to boot!

Eh, living on a neighbor island, this is good info, guys!! Mahalo mucho!!
I'm tired of always eating the Royal Kitchen one my family always brings. For sure, I'm gonna try the one Glen Miyashiro suggesting.

(Also, I'll secretly pray that your name not really Glen Miyashiro)
Old September 20th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Ali`i

Good Manapua and Hilo...a phrase you'll never hear in Hilo.

I'd like to revive this thread. I had to laugh when one of my friends who has never tasted really good Manapua from Oahu told me she loves the stuff and the best she's ever tasted (in Hilo) was from 7-Eleven! Sad to say but she's probably right as there is no really good Dim Sum place here at all. Probably because the Chinese never really settled into Hilo at all. Even the best chinese restaurants are a joke here.
Old September 20th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe

I'd like to revive this thread. I had to laugh when one of my friends who has never tasted really good Manapua from Oahu told me she loves the stuff and the best she's ever tasted (in Hilo) was from 7-Eleven! Sad to say but she's probably right as there is no really good Dim Sum place here at all. Probably because the Chinese never really settled into Hilo at all. Even the best chinese restaurants are a joke here.
eh, if you like make your own (and you get time now dat you retired, yeah Craig? ), go to Alohaworld and Ono Recipes. Go look foa "Miulang's Manapua". I took that to a recent Ohanalanai gathering and everybody there said it was da bess manapua dey ever ate (da secret is da sesame oil in da dough).

Ooooh, now you make me all hungry for grine manapua! Maybe gotta go home and go make some later on....

Miulang
Old September 20th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Ali`i

I hate to tell you this Miulang but I was dea and I no like be mean but I had to call 911 to get my stomach pumped after eating it...NAH! Ho did you see da look on your face after that one?

I'll check it out. I heard if you use the Pilsbury dough mix and steam it, you can make some pretty good manapua with it.
Old September 20th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I hate to tell you this Miulang but I was dea and I no like be mean but I had to call 911 to get my stomach pumped after eating it...NAH! Ho did you see da look on your face after that one?

I'll check it out. I heard if you use the Pilsbury dough mix and steam it, you can make some pretty good manapua with it.
ROFLMAO!!! Can use Pillsbury Dough, but no foget to put lido bit sesame oil insai da dough (maybe 1 Tb). I tell you, DAT's da secret to da onolicious taste of da Hawaii (Chinese) manapua! I wen go do plenny kine trials foa come up with da recipe (dis one basic manapua recipe dat I wen go doctor up so da ting taste like da kine manapua I used to remember from small keed time).

Miulang

BTW: I like da dim sum can get at da Hawaii 7-11s. Wish dey had da same kine up heah...all we get is da kine hot dogs and dried out chili dogs (yuck!)
Old September 20th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen
Was this from a place in Aiea? I remember at one usenet gathering a few years ago someone brought that. I didn't remember the name other than it was located in Aiea.
Pizza manapua can be found at a little place directly across the access road for Aiea Public Library; I've tried it and didn't like it at all. Their char siu manapua is good but occasionally has gobs of gristle, which is emphatically not good.
Old September 20th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Luna

steamed is best! fried is good too. But there's nothing like the steamed.
Old September 21st, 2004, 03:39 AM
Ali`i

Even though I was raised on Kauai, went to college on the Big Island, I never had manapua until I moved to Honolulu.
Old September 21st, 2004, 06:50 AM
Haumana

We have a few "local" places that serve Manapua. It's eh...ok, but nothing beats Manapua from Honolulu.
Old September 21st, 2004, 01:25 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamlost
steamed is best! fried is good too. But there's nothing like the steamed.
You can fry manapua?
Old September 21st, 2004, 02:36 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen
You can fry manapua?
Anything is possible, if they can deep fry Twinkies and Snickers bars! But do they put the manapua in batter to deep fry it, or just take an unsteamed manapua and toss it into the fryer?

Miulang
Old September 21st, 2004, 03:55 PM
Ali`i

I just had some manapua from the "99 Store" or whatever that's called in Mapunapuna (I didn't pick it up; somebody else did). It was pork, not char siu, and it had very little if any fat or gristle. It comes ready for microwaving or steaming. I've got an electric steamer, which is nice but a pain to clean -- thou shalt not put any part into the dishwasher, it says -- and it took no time at all to fluff up the munchy goodness. They're standard size and come in packages of four.
Old September 27th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Haumana

Send a message via ICQ to Tutulady

Quote:

I noticed for some time now that everytime I go back home to the big island, no mo' Sun Sun Lau and Seven Seas are long gone too (not that this was strictly a chinese food place mind you LOL). There was another one but the name escapes me at the moment. Used to be in downtown Hilo. *sighs* Alot of places are gone now, Kress', Project 3, Western Auto, Woolworths (mmmm their chicken was the bestest!). Still get Dairy Queen though!
Old February 1st, 2005, 05:07 PM
Ali`i

Currently munching on a cheeseburger manapua from 7-11. It looks more of a variation of a lup chong manapua, the burger meat is in a saugause form.
Old February 1st, 2005, 05:50 PM
Ali`i

Char Hung Sut on Pauahi Street. They make excellent 1/2 moon, pork hash, peipeiyau, chow fun, etc. Too bad they're in the middle of...oh, neva mind!
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 03:24 PM
Ali`i

I don't eat beef or pork; got any recommendations for places that make good NON-beef/pork manapua on Oahu?

Old February 2nd, 2005, 03:51 PM
Ali`i

Depending on the place they might also offer chicken manapua and other fillings.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 03:55 PM
Ali`i

There are veggie and chicken manapua out there. But you know, manapua without the pork is like fried chicken without the chicken. Even the name manapua has pig in it (it was originally mea ono pua'a, "the good pork thing").