The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Saw the 2-d version of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey at the Ward Theater Tuesday night with an acquaintance.

I never the read the book so I can not say what matches or didn't match in the movie and my memory of the cartoon special that was aired in the early 1980's is spotty at best.

I suspect that I might see this movie a second time mainly because I will be going with other people to go see it.

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

This is the closest I ever came to the Lord Of The Rings stuff, Bo Hansen's influence for a soundtrack, and this is one of my favorite sections http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzdjztxmDHk
    Jimi Hendrix was a friend and fan of Bo's, even using his Tax Free tune on stage occassionally for a year.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Has anyone seen it in 48 frames-per-second 3-D? In terms of the content, I only hear about how long it is. But most of the geek conversation has been about the new projection standard.

Will We Ever Get Used to The Hobbit’s Higher Frame Rate?

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Masterclass in Why 48 FPS Fails

Do audiences like the high-frame-rate 'Hobbit'?

Comment

Someone commented recently that in 3D you can kinda see thru the film and actually see the Hobbit set, whatever that means.

Comment

How long is the journey in the movie theatre?

Comment

Only in the beginning, when they were panning rapidly moving ariel view, did I think the 48 rate was inadequate. Everything seemed to blur, and it was hard to understand what you were seeing. Later views did not seem to share this fault, except when the elven warriors
            rode around the dwarves on horseback
            , their details blurred as well.

3 hours is long for a movie, but the suspense and excitement carried us through.

Excellent CGI, nothing looked unreal. I was very pleased.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
              Only in the beginning, when they were panning rapidly moving ariel view, did I think the 48 rate was inadequate.
              So you saw it at the Dole Cannery? That's the only place in Hawaii listed here as showing the 48 fps version.

The controversy over 48 fps sounds like the one over the "soap opera effect" that some people complain about, when using the option some TVs have of inserting extra calculated frames to raise the frame rate of movies transferred to video from 24 fps film. I don't have any problem with it, myself.
              Greg

Comment

I'd me more intrigued if they'd used smell-o-vision in this one than 3D. Bring back the scratch and sniff!

Comment

The Hobbit is a must if one is to understand the later books.

The kingdom of England was bombed over and over again by

wireless guided missals.

That continual bombing from the sky really pisses off a lot of people.

Comment

I enjoyed the way the story was told and the characters.
                    Didn't enjoy watching it in 3D... just in general and the glasses.
                    Will watch again in regular mode sometime.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
                      Martin Freeman, Ian McKellan, Cate Blanchett. Directed by Peter Jackson.

I like small movies. Little movies about people in small spaces of time, people maneuvering through the small (but often cavernous) spaces in their hearts and psyches. Most of my favorite films of 2012 are that sort: Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, Ruby Sparks, Moonrise Kingdom, and The Perks of Being a Wallflower, for example. The stuff that interests me about someone else’s life is the small stuff: what’s on your night-table? What are you carrying in your backpack? When did you last experience buyer’s remorse? Little questions and little moments give me a more meaningful picture of you than big things. I do want to know what it says on your diploma; but I want more to know what’s printed on your coffee mug.

The trouble with small movies, though, is that they’re so specific they seldom achieve real universality, which means the likelihood that they will achieve serious greatness is smaller than if they swing for the universal fences that surround us all. It’s so, so easy to mess up a big movie, but when a big movie works, it can change everything for you because that’s what it’s trying to do.

This is probably why it took until the 359th day of 2012 for me to see a movie I loved. Until Christmas Eve, the big movies I saw were big but they didn’t swing for the fences, except for The Hunger Games, which I did like very much. When the credits rolled on The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, I’d somehow forgotten that a movie could make me feel as if something in me and in my world had been changed. I am not saying this is a world-changing film; somehow, though, something feels different.

Martin Freeman is the hobbit Bilbo Baggins, and he leaves the smallness of his home for the bigness of an adventure, surrounded by dwarfs and looked-after by the old wizard, Gandalf the Grey (Ian McKellen). Freeman is perfect as the simple, wide-eyed, good-hearted Bilbo, so much a better hero than Iron Man or Thor could ever be. And Ian McKellan, reprising his Lord of the Rings role, is equally perfect. It would be so easy for McKellen to phone in his performance, or to play it with just a tiny amount of distancing or condescension, but he totally commits to his role, admirably not too cool to be a bearded, dragon-fighting, spell-casting wizard leading twelve dwarfs through a goblins’ cave.

Bilbo’s adventure is big, and his movie is long. But there are big effects, big vistas, and big music to fill in the space around his small being, and as long as you’re not in a hurry to get anywhere, it’s not an unpleasantly long film. I appreciate the way it takes its time, especially in the first act, and if the final act is something of a blur of actions scenes, one after the next, the film never forgets that it’s about a world that can be changed by the small, moment-by-moment convictions of one simple-hearted hobbit.

9/10 (IMDb rating)
                      94/100 (Criticker rating)
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I was pretty sure I was going to see it more than once, so for my first viewing I chose the 2D presentation. I have an enormous dislike for 3D films, and although I guess it's the 48 fps 3D version that Peter Jackson means for his audience to see, I didn't want to go in with one strike already counted against the batter.

I thought it was wonderful in 2D; I can't imagine either the higher frame rate or the illusion of an extra dimension improving on it, but I'll see it again in the next week or so just to be sure.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'm a big Tolkien fan and loved it. Granted it did deviate from the book in places (as did LOTR), but I think the spirit of the book remained. Movie-wise I wasn't near as awe-struck as LOTR left me (although we do still have two movies to go), but still thought it was great. There are quite a few threads in the movie that are not found in the book (The Hobbit), but instead are from the LOTR appendices or other Tolkien writings. They serve more to make the connection to the events and characters of LOTR, I guess to give it a feel to being a complete saga rather than a stand-alone story which The Hobbit is more akin too.

I've seen it twice now in 2D and glad I did. Most of the criticisms of the movie have been with the look of the 3D and 48fps. Other than Avatar I've not been impressed by the 3D experience, so glad I stuck with 2D which I think looked great and was pretty much seamless to the cinematography from LOTR.

Comment

Working...
                          X