Inter-Island transport.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inter-Island transport.

My company just announced that we are going to Kapalua in Spring '10. Last time we came, it was to Kona, and with three kids, we hopped a flight to Oahu, and added another week. Growing up in Oahu, this is more important to me than the Ritz Carlton first part of the trip.

We now have four kids and adding six more tickets really adds to the expense, where it will end up costing us money, even though it is supposed to be a free trip.

Any idea about a boat that can get us Maui to Oahu and then back for our return flight? Avoiding the whole airport thing would be nice, so that is why I'm inquiring. Though, a cheap flight would be good.

Also, we tried to find a hotel with Travelocity in Oahu last time and bombed out. I know we aren't going to be able to compare it to the Ritz, but we want some place that is at least decent. We spend most of our time driving around to all the spots I remember as a kid, and don't need the resort amenities. I have thought about renting a bungalow or something like that rather than stay in Waikiki. Anyone have any good leads?

I'd say I have plenty of time to do research, but I'm so excited, I'm starting now.

Mahalo.

Re: Inter-Island transport.

The only option I know of would be the Hawaii Superferry. Not sure if this company will still be around in Spring of `10. Other than that flying to Oahu from Kapalua would be another option. This airport is closer to the Ritz. In the mean time keep in touch with H.T.
    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
      The only option I know of would be the Hawaii Superferry. Not sure if this company will still be around in Spring of `10. Other than that flying to Oahu from Kapalua would be another option. This airport is closer to the Ritz. In the mean time keep in touch with H.T.
      Thanks. I'll try craigslist. I bet there is some private yacht owner who would make the trip cheaper than a flight for six.

Comment

Originally posted by drumorgan View Post
        Thanks. I'll try craigslist. I bet there is some private yacht owner who would make the trip cheaper than a flight for six.
        Perhaps, but I wonder about if a private yacht owner takes on passengers "for a fee", if it then changes to needing a captain's license, and if it affects the boat owner's insurance?
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
          Perhaps, but I wonder about if a private yacht owner takes on passengers "for a fee", if it then changes to needing a captain's license, and if it affects the boat owner's insurance?
          Interesting. So far, a bunch of island tours, whale watching type stuff, show up, but nothing inter-island. Without the wife and kids, I bet I could do it with an outrigger, but my wife would want something much more traditional.

Last time, I just added a leg to our flight. I might end up doing that.

Any thoughts on a decent hotel? or maybe a cottage rental outside of the dense area?

Comment

I bet there is some private yacht owner who would make the trip cheaper than a flight for six.
            Be extremely careful!!! Make 100% sure that any private yacht is a Coast Guard certified charter boat, and demand to see evidence of that. There are way too many flakes out there who'll say and do anything to make a buck.
            And you want to go from Maui to Oahu and back? Have you ever done that in a small yacht? Are you aware that the Molokai Channel is considered to have about the roughest water in the entire Pacific Ocean, and that an average day there means 12' to 15' waves? Are you sure you want to subject your kids to that?!?
            If you wanna go by boat, it's the SuperFerry or nothing.

Originally posted by Amati View Post
            I wonder about if a private yacht owner takes on passengers "for a fee", if it then changes to needing a captain's license, and if it affects the boat owner's insurance?
            In a word... absolutely.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              Be extremely careful!!! ...
              If you wanna go by boat, it's the SuperFerry or nothing.
              You sold me. I'm adventurous, but certainly don't want to subject my family to danger. Thanks.

Comment

You sold me. I'm adventurous, but certainly don't want to subject my family to danger. Thanks.
                You're welcome, and you've made a good decision.
                I also forgot to mention that the airline tickets will cost less than chartering a boat!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Any thoughts on a decent hotel? or maybe a cottage rental outside of the dense area?
                  You could try the Pagoda Hotel, it's a couple of blocks from the Ala Moana Shopping Center. Don't know about the current prices but it's a hotel that Hawaii residents tend to use when visiting Oahu.

Comment

Or try the Outrigger sister hotel Ohana Resorts, they also have a hotel near Hnl I`ntl. Airport. As posted by others on H.T. It might be alot cheaper if you flew out from Kapalua Airport instead. Check with Island Air, Mokulele Air web-sites. I`m sure you`ll find something affordable.
                    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

When we've stayed at the Ritz or the Villas we always fly into Kapalua
                      and utilize the shuttle service. The shuttle will pick you up at the airport and
                      take you directly to the resort. There is no need for a car if you plan on just
                      hanging out there and enjoying the beach(es) and pool(s) there. We find it
                      very convenient and easy to deal with. We also carry around a bunch of singles to tip the guys, hardly no one does and they sure appreciate even
                      the smallest gesture. I really enjoy Kapalua

Comment

In a sea-worthy Ketch, 44 foot or so, Lika and I can take you throughout the islands. And your family would probably enjoy themselves.

In fact, the journey might become more than the destination could ever hope to be.

"Where y'all heading?"

"Ummm, we forgot."
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                          In a sea-worthy Ketch, 44 foot or so, Lika and I can take you throughout the islands. And your family would probably enjoy themselves.

In fact, the journey might become more than the destination could ever hope to be.

"Where y'all heading?"

"Ummm, we forgot."
                          THAT is exactly what I was looking for. I have a year now to convince my wife.

My company pays for a week in Kapalua, and if I make it to the islands, I definitely have to go back to my childhood home of Oahu. It wouldn't be a Hawaii trip without Leonard's malasadas.

Comment

The best plan would be for Lika, or I, to find the boat on Oahu, then I fly to Oahu, and we bring it to Kauai. Then your family gets onboard, and we sail downwind (mostly), for 2 weeks or so, all the way to Kona, Big Island, making all the right stops along the way. Then Lika and I take the boat back to Oahu.

It would be pricey. But good times fall under the "get what you pay for" clause.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                              The best plan would be for Lika, or I, to find the boat on Oahu, then I fly to Oahu, and we bring it to Kauai. Then your family gets onboard, and we sail downwind (mostly), for 2 weeks or so, all the way to Kona, Big Island, making all the right stops along the way.[...]
                              Sounds good, TK, but don't forget to stop at Maui to pick up Dru and family! Hopefully they don't have to pay for the Kauai to Maui leg!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X