Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Years Eve 2011 events list

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
    BEAUTIFUL sunrise photos Mel!!! Taken from one of the Diamond Head lookouts I believe.[...]
    Dumb question on my part...but isn't the sunrise viewed from the windward side? And that section of the road appears to be a bridge; something that Diamond Head Rd. doesn't have. I think Leo's guess is a tad bit closer! Just thinking out loud!

Beautiful shots, Mel.

ETA: Just saw LL's post immediately above! So much for my sunrise and bridge theory!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Dumb question on my part...but isn't the sunrise viewed from the windward side?
      The sun's pretty far south at this time of the year. I'd guess you'd need a view toward ESE to SW. Looking at Google maps, I can see a spot that has a bridge "edge" much like you'd expect to see around the blow hole area. It's not obvious that's what it is as you drive by.

From Mel's other photos, I think he's a confirmed "townie".

Comment

All photos were indeed taken near Diamond Head lookout. The bridge in the crowd shot is something holding the road up against the embankment near the Amelia Earhart monument... next to the parking lot. You guys ought to check it out, or maybe come by next year when I shoot this again.

I've gone to this spot almost every year for the 1st sunrise in about 5 years now.

2012 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/macprohawaii/6614454735/

2011 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/macprohawaii/5314866498/

2010 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/macprohawaii/4235262980/

2009 - Kaka'ako Waterfront Park

2008 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/macprohawaii/2155653967/
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          That area is actually called Aikahi Park. And Mokapu Boulevard is called Saddle Road by everyone over here. It runs from Kaneohe Bay Drive to the rear entrance to the Marine Corps base.
          Anyway, there's nothing at all in that area that looks anything like Mel's crowd shot. I agree with MM that it's one of the Diamond Head lookouts, somewhere near the lighthouse.
          I figured you just had too much champagne last night, Leo.
          Wow and all these years I thought Saddle Road was the road that goes across from Mokapu to Pali Hwy, by the old dirve in theater.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
            Wow and all these years I thought Saddle Road was the road that goes across from Mokapu to Pali Hwy, by the old dirve in theater.
            Are you thinking of Kapaa Quarry Road? That's the only road that connects Mokapu Blvd. to Pali Hwy.
            When you come down Likelike Hwy. into Kaneohe it turns into Kaneohe Bay Drive when Likelike crosses Kam Hwy. (near Honda Windward). About a mile later Kaneohe Bay Drive then becomes Mokapu Saddle Blvd. just before it goes over the hill to Kailua (under the H-3), while you turn left to stay on Kaneohe Bay Drive. And yes, where Mokapu goes over the hill and under the H-3, it is legally called Mokapu Saddle Blvd. and that's why everyone over here just calls it Saddle Road, even all the way to the marine base rear gate. And whichever name you call it, it's at least two miles from any intersection with Pali Highway.
            Oh, and Kaneohe Bay Drive turns into Kalaheo Avenue right at the Aikahi Park Shopping Center.
            Whew. No wonder tourists always get lost in Hawaii.
            Last edited by LikaNui; January 2, 2012, 01:38 PM. Reason: Added the KBD > Kalaheo comment.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Yes I was thinking of Kapaa Quarry Road, I worked for Ameron HC&D for 30 years and would go to the quarry quite often and still I thought it was called Saddle Road...auwe how lolo.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                Yes I was thinking of Kapaa Quarry Road, I worked for Ameron HC&D for 30 years and would go to the quarry quite often and still I thought it was called Saddle Road...auwe how lolo.
                Nah, not lolo. Heck, every time I hear the name Saddle Road I still think of the one on the Big Island first, even though I live so close to the Saddle Road here.
                When you worked at Ameron, was the radio-controlled airplane model field already there?
                And I always get a kick out of the very thick ground fog that often lays right over Kapaa Quarry Road because of Kawainui Marsh.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Yes the model airfield was there and I remember seeing some pretty wide wing span on some of them. I remember not being able to pass whenever there was heavy rains, until they raised the road.

Comment

Working...
                  X