Ant-Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ant-Man

Saw the movie Ant-Man at the Ward Theater on Saturday night (9/19/15).

Movie has a mix of superheros, action, scifi, and some humor to it.

There is a misunderstood fight scene with one of the Avengers in the middle of the movie that sort of nods to a typical comic book plot where one good guy battles another good guy.

Re: Ant-Man

Ant-Man (2015)
    Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Bobby Canavale, Michael Douglas, Judy Greer, Michael Pena, T.I. Directed by Peyton Reed.

Scott Lang is just out of prison for stealing from some kind of tech corporation after the firm has been discovered to be ripping people off. Lang used his computer savvy to return the ill-gotten money to customers’ bank accounts. His combination of technical aptitude and cat-burglar dexterity make him an ideal candidate to wear the Ant-Man suit, which not only shrinks him to the size of an ant, but also enables him to command ants to do his bidding.

The suit is the property of Hank Pym, who apparently was once involved with S.H.I.E.L.D. but left after a disagreement about how to use it. His estranged daughter, Hope van Dyne, has worked with his former protege, Darren Cross, in the company Pym used to run. Cross is close enough to duplicating the technology to worry Hope, who turns to her father to intervene. This is where Scott comes in.

Ant-Man is an origin story, so we are treated to extended sequences of Scott learning to control the suit and the magnified strength he has in his tiny form. He also learns to control ants of various species, each with its own abilities.

Rudd seems to be everyone’s favorite everyman (if that title doesn’t go to Jason Bateman), which makes him just right for this role, and he plays it with a nice vulnerability that sells the Ant-Man transformation better than a more machismo-laden actor might have. The film aims for several layers of sentimentality that, with a less sensitive actor, would never have worked. As it is, performances by Bobby Canavale and Michael Douglass work against that, but it might be the fault of the script, whose dialogue often comes right out of the comic book cliche factory.

Rudd’s likeable portrayal holds the movie together, and creative effects playing with the shrinking-enlarging technology keep things from getting too serious even in the midst of some pretty heavy action sequences. I’d welcome a sequel.

74/100 (Criticker rating)
    7/10 (IMDb rating)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I didn't recognize Evangeline Lilly in the movie until the first set of cast credits was displayed at the end of the movie.

I did like the scenes with Scott's former ex-cons friends helping out during the time at the Cross Technology building.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        I did like the scenes with Scott's former ex-cons friends helping out during the time at the Cross Technology building.
        The casting director did a good job with that group. In a lot of films, those supporting guys are little more than stock roles, but the writers here gave them interesting personalities and then the roles were filled by talented actors with good track records. Michael Pena and T.I. have been great in other stuff, and they brought their game to these slightly smaller roles.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
        X